SANDALS for plantar fasciitis?

CathieArms

DIS Veteran
Okay, I realize there's a similar thread; but it really wasn't addressing my question. So here goes...

BESIDES Crocs...what type of sandal have you felt did well with plantar fasciitis? I'm at almost a complete loss. I bought a pair of Teva sandals yesterday because they seemed to have pretty decent arch support and a cushy heel. After wearing them all day yesterday at home, I'm no worse off than I was when I wore my other shoes (New Balance, Crocs, etc).

Do you think these will be okay for me for switching into a day here or there at WDW? Or, am I gonna have to stick with my New Balance tennis shoes?

I developed PF recently and Birkenstocks are one of the few shoes that really help. Dansko/Sanita clogs do, too. I lived in clogs and flip flops prior to PF, so I wanted something that breathed but was very supportive.
Birks do take some breaking in, but once they do, they feel GREAT!
I think some of the Tevas may be ok, but from my reading it is important to not only have decent arch support, but also support for the entire foot. Birks have a deep heel cup and keep my feet securely in the shoe without tight straps.
I liked them so much I ordered a pair for each DD for this trip:thumbsup2

I really resisted Birks for so long because I thought they were just so UGLY, but there are a few cute styles out now. Birki's have the same footbed, but cuter straps and styles:goodvibes

I know you said you have Crocs, but do you only have the clogs?

Crocs has SO MANY different kinds of sandals that have great support so you really ought to check it out if you haven't already.

Birks and Merrells also have nice sandals with great arch support

I know you said you have Crocs, but do you only have the clogs?

Crocs has SO MANY different kinds of sandals that have great support so you really ought to check it out if you haven't already.

Birks and Merrells also have nice sandals with great arch support

I have the Crocbands and the new tennis shoe style. The truth is that the tennis shoe style doesn't feel nearly as well on my feet as the Crocbands do! i thought about Crocs sandals, but I couldn't find my size or they were the flip-flop style and I can't do things between my toes.

I am going to be honest....no sandals are going to give you the support you will need to do WDW. (unless you are a teenager that weighs 80lbs) ;)

Your feet really do take a beating walking on the cement all day. Most people who walk a lot at home feel "Oh I will be ok"...but they don't understand the conditions of the adventure. Not only will you be walking but you will be doing a lot of standing in one spot...again on that hard cement.

Nope, for me it is my running shoes and crocs. Otherwise I am a limping mess and believe me facing another day after your feet are DONE isn't pretty. :)

I love the Orthaheels. They were created by a podiatrist and are supposed to be excellent for all kinds of foot problems including plantar fasciitis. They cradle your feet with lots of support.

I have the same problem. I wear Brooks tennis shoes and Chaco sandals. I love my Chaco sandals. I also wear mephisto sandals, but not at Disney.

I love the Orthaheels. They were created by a podiatrist and are supposed to be excellent for all kinds of foot problems including plantar fasciitis. They cradle your feet with lots of support.

I too love my Orthaheels. I have two pairs of their flip flops (Tide and Wave). Due to my plantar fasciitis I can no longer go barefoot at all. Anytime I step out of bed I immediately have shoes there to slip on. I use my Orthaheels for house shoes. I also like Olu 'Kai Ohanas, Sketcher Tone Ups, and FitFlops down there. I can't wear tennis shoes at WDW. The one time I did, they were too hot and I got blisters. They were New Balance and Saucony's, so good tennis shoes. They were fine around here, but gave me blisters down there.:confused3

For me the main thing is to change my shoes out every day or even twice a day if possible. If I wear the same pair several days in a row, my feet will get sore.

I have PF also and absolutely LIVE in my Teva Mush flip flops in the summertime. They have excellent arch support. I walked around Disney for 9+ hours in them and I never had a problem. :love:

I have super-glued Dr. Scholl's arch supports in many pairs of sandals. No one ever notices, and I get very good support for my PF that way! I personally buy the ones meant for men, since they are made much studier than the women's.

I bought some Naots the other day. The style I believe was either Marissa or maybe Kate. I liked both, but forgot which I bought.:rotfl::confused3 They're expensive, but felt soooo good.:cloud9: Has anyone with plantar fasciitis tried them?

I also suffer with foot problems, including a fracture of a small bone in my left foot. My mom has horrible PF and morton's neuroma. I think we have tested every shoe known to mankind. I have been to WDW too many times to count and I love walking around the parks. Top contenders are as follows: Birkenstock shoes and sandals, Crocs, Fit-Flops or the Fit Flop shoes, and the ONE AND ONLY type of sneaker that stands up to WDW for me: Brooks-Addiction Walker. (and believe me, I have tried every tennis/athletic shoe out there) Brooks-Addiction Walker needs to be TIGHT. So tight in fact that you will think to yourself that the shoe is too tight and not comfortable. You will literally need to squeeze your foot in the shoe. Wear thin socks and force your foot in the shoe. I swear to you, you will be able to walk long distances. You don't want the shoe too short, your toes should have space, but the sides will be tight. Very tight. Start walking in them and your endurance and fun will increase. I use them all the time for long days of walking or even playing tennis. I coach soccer and I always wear them. They also come in black if you like black shoes (I do!).

See a podiatrist, there are prescripton, orthotics that work well! It will save you alot of pain

DH & I have a pair of Olu Kai flip flops. It's the ONLY shoe we will wear in the parks. We have never had any trouble out of them.

I have just developed this on my heel. I am heading to DW Sat. I purchased 6 different shoes, Teva, New Balance,Skeeches,etc I switch the shoe up daily and it seems to help. Good Luck!

I'm another PF sufferer who loves my Orthaheel flip flops!

I did a bunch of research before my last Disney trip to try and find either flip flops or sandals that are good for my PF and Disney.

I used to wear Teva Pretty Rugged which I loved but didn't realize until I developed PF that they do not have the support I need.

I hate wearing sneakers/socks at Disney.

I came across the Orthaheel flip flops. I bought a pair and I LOVE them. I wore them to Disney last year and to Bermuda as well with no blisters or achy feet/heels. :thumbsup2

Crocs have a version for PF sufferers but I'm afraid to try them. My foot doctor said to stay away from Crocs of all kinds. I think Berks are ugly!

Good luck!

See a podiatrist, there are prescripton, orthotics that work well! It will save you alot of pain

The OP is asking about sandals. Orthotic inserts won't really apply. I have a pair of inserts in my tennis shoes but have yet to find a pair of sandals that give enough arch support to keep my PF from flaring up.

Does anyone know where I can buy Orthoheels besides the internet?

I'm pretty sure I developed PF in my right heel and I am worried about walking around DW in a few weeks. :(

I did buy Teva Mush flip flops, but I find they have no support at all and kill my heel.

I did buy a pair of Yellow Box Flip Flops that I like, but I don't know if I can walk all around DW all day and not be in some kind of pain by the end of the night.

I also brought Croc flip flops. I can't decide if I like them or not. I think I might end up with the same problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter