Sandal or flip flop for Achilles Tendinitis ?

No. Because there is no good sandal or flip-flop to ease Achilles pain. I see lots of people walking around the parks in flip-flops and wonder how bad their feet/legs feel at the end of the day.

I hurt my achilles training for Disney World Marathon a few years ago. I put gel heel cups in my sneakers for walking around the parks before/after the marathon. In general, for heel pain, you probably want to do calf stretches. And google "Strassburg sock", which you can wear at night or when sitting around.

Also, if you scroll down, you'll see another thread about sandals for Plantar Fasciitis, there might be some options in there.

Last edited:
I think I had it not too long ago...self diagnosed. It just kind of went away on its own, mostly. By that I mean that I really didn't do anything too specific to treat it, just a bit of icing and resting it when I could. And it's still there but barely and will flare up every once in awhile. I just wear the best shoes I have. Tevas, Saucony/New Balance tennies and acutally crocs around the house--yea, I know those aren't the best but it was better than running around barefoot. I would not do a flip flop unless you had something like a Vionic. I don't think there is enough support with a basic flip flop. I also have tendonitis along the top of my foot as well. Flip flops rip that one to shreds...as well as high heels. I think the best bet is to ice it and rest it. Support is key with the shoe as well. Hope this helps.

im recovering from an achilles tendon rupture (total fluke), and when we go to wdw ill be about 7 mo post op. my pt and dr both reco shoes with heel and arch support. birkenstocks have been given the thumbs up by both.

Hi pktbmouse :flower1:
I see your posts on CBR thread.
I promise you I am not a stalker :tiptoe:

I highly recommend Vionics, they are great for walking. You can see all the info on QVC.com. I have planter facilitis (SP?)and their is no way I can survive a day in Disney without them. I do recomend wearing them a wearing them a couple of hrs a day before you wear them all day in the park.

See you later in CBR thread!

Keen sandals have great support and they're waterproof. Look at Zappos for the ones with best arch support. I had Achilles tendonitis and they worked for me. If you don't care about waterproof, Mephisto and Naot are the best brands IMO. Neither of them are cheap but they will last for years and your feet will thank you every time you put them on. After I was treated in physical therapy I got a pair of Keens and a pair of Mephistos for a trip that included a LOT of walking and they served me well. For closed-toe shoes I can't recommend Dansko enough but be sure to get "professional" shoes as they have better shock absorption. Good luck!

Not exactly what you are looking for, but a pair of Hoka One One shoes feel like walking on clouds and are aren't to heavy.

I am presently in a restrictive boot to the knee for a possible achilles tendon rupture...just got this fashionable footwear Fri- and we leave for disney in 2 weeks. What caused it? No clue been going on a long time, but I will tell you flip flops did not cause it or aggravate it-it occurred in the winter months when I wear my best shoes. It gets worse believe it or not when I wear my very supportive, proper sneakers!! The back of the sneaker hits right where the tendon is inflamed making the pain and swelling worse. I have searched for a pair of sneakers that the back does not cut into the tendon area....can't find any.>:(

I plan on wearing a combination of Vivonics, Crocs and skechers flip flops. I am in the testing and getting used to process of my vivonics, and yes they do take some getting used to (on my good foot as I only need a shoe for my left foot :furious:)

When I was first having problems (over two years ago) I brought small ice packs (the kind you punch to activate) and would rest and ice the tendon in the parks when needed. That helped....The best advice is find a shoe you can handle for long walking, take your anti inflammatory when needed and ice if that helps!

Another thing that's important- stretch! Do calf stretches when you get some downtime, even waiting in line. Push back on one heel and straighten the leg, or ask your doctor (better idea!) for some stretches you can do in your hotel room too. That makes a huge difference when there is something like Plantar Fascitis or Achilles Tendonitis going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter