Sand Dollar / Whitlow Gymnastics Invitational Jan 22-24

TheBacklot

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

The Sand Dollar / Whitlow Gymnastics Invitational will be at the Wide World of Sports from January 22nd-24th, 2010. Never been during this time. Is this event large and where are they all staying? Just want to know how our vacation might be impacted.

Thanks!

Hi All,

The Sand Dollar / Whitlow Gymnastics Invitational will be at the Wide World of Sports from January 22nd-24th, 2010. Never been during this time. Is this event large and where are they all staying? Just want to know how our vacation might be impacted.

Thanks!

It depends. My gym that I used to go to hosts the meet, I am currently in college doing gymnastics now at Bama, but usually if anything the values might be booked up that are close to the Wide World of Sports area. But usually from what I remember it isn't that bad. The meet has grown in the years, but like I said I have been in college going on my fourth year so it has been a while. If you need any more information let me know. :) Good luck with planning!

I have a DD that has done some competitive cheer and gymnastics. I don't think you'll have any problems at WDW, even if there's a gymnastics competition going on. The kids will be busy training and competing.:)

Hi All,

Thanks!
In my experience,All-Star Sports is the main Resort for Sports groups competeing at Wide World of Sports followed by the other Value resorts and then Port Orleans-Riverside and Coronado Springs.

I have stayed at All-Star Sports several times when groups were there and had no problems.The Food Court and buses will be crowded at times,but once you get to a park you will not even know a competition is going on on-property for the most part.

I actually "enjoy" the "energy" that the groups bring to All-Star Sports,but some Guests HATE being there when there are groups.:)

It depends. My gym that I used to go to hosts the meet, I am currently in college doing gymnastics now at Bama, but usually if anything the values might be booked up that are close to the Wide World of Sports area. But usually from what I remember it isn't that bad. The meet has grown in the years, but like I said I have been in college going on my fourth year so it has been a while. If you need any more information let me know. :) Good luck with planning!
Sorry to veer off-topic,but I noticed you compete for Alabama in gymnastics.CONGRATULATIONS,because I know that is a GREAT program with Sarah Patterson.

By the way,are you going to Pasadena?Is the Campus "electric" with excitement?:)

Good luck with your Senior season!:)(and future WDW trips):)

Another OT, but COOL!
I'm an Auburn grad and have taken DD10 to camp there for 4 years. She loves college gymnastics. We were at the SEC championships in ATL a couple of years ago, so I'm assuming we saw you. And since you aren't at UGA, she probably was yelling for you! :thumbsup2 What a great program you have there in Tuscaloosa! Can't wait to see how the season goes! Best of Luck!

To the OP, I haven't been then, but our gym owner looked into it. I don't think, from what she said, that the parks will be heavily impacted. Many families will build mini-vacations around the meet, but no way will it be big enough to greatly impact the parks.

Sorry to veer off-topic,but I noticed you compete for Alabama in gymnastics.CONGRATULATIONS,because I know that is a GREAT program with Sarah Patterson.

By the way,are you going to Pasadena?Is the Campus "electric" with excitement?:)

Good luck with your Senior season!:)(and future WDW trips):)

Thanks..yes it is wonderful here in Tuscaloosa. I can't believe my four years has already flown by.

I won't be able to make it to Pasadena. We actually have our first competition down in Auburn the next day, so we will be watching it down there the night before we compete. :) Hopefully we pull out a win from football and then we will be totally motivated to win the next day. Campus is crazy though, I know a lot of people are trying to get the Cali for the game and I don't blame them.

Thanks and believe me I will be planning Disney Trips forever, I always do it on my spare time even though I know I can't go as much as I want to :)

Another OT, but COOL!
I'm an Auburn grad and have taken DD10 to camp there for 4 years. She loves college gymnastics. We were at the SEC championships in ATL a couple of years ago, so I'm assuming we saw you. And since you aren't at UGA, she probably was yelling for you! :thumbsup2 What a great program you have there in Tuscaloosa! Can't wait to see how the season goes! Best of Luck!

To the OP, I haven't been then, but our gym owner looked into it. I don't think, from what she said, that the parks will be heavily impacted. Many families will build mini-vacations around the meet, but no way will it be big enough to greatly impact the parks.

O gosh, yep I was there! I am glad that you guys enjoy college gymnastics so much! Really is a blast :) And good thing she was cheering for us too and not UGA lol :)

Thanks..yes it is wonderful here in Tuscaloosa. I can't believe my four years has already flown by.

I won't be able to make it to Pasadena. We actually have our first competition down in Auburn the next day, so we will be watching it down there the night before we compete. :) Hopefully we pull out a win from football and then we will be totally motivated to win the next day. Campus is crazy though, I know a lot of people are trying to get the Cali for the game and I don't blame them.

Thanks and believe me I will be planning Disney Trips forever, I always do it on my spare time even though I know I can't go as much as I want to :)
OT again(sorry OP),but I HAVE to tell you something that happened during my trip to Walt Disney World last week that I KNOW you will love!:)

ESPNU was having the Home Depot College Football Awards at Atlantic Dance Hall and Mark Ingram,Leigh Tiffin and Terrance Cody were at WDW.They were SO nice and did a GREAT job of representing the University.:)There were Alabama and Texas fans EVERYWHERE last week at WDW-it was SO much fun!

But,what I wanted to tell you is this.I was watching Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade one day and as Chip and Dale walked past me in the Parade,one of them walked over to me.

I thought he was going to give me a "high-five",but he took his "paw" and pointed to the University of Alabama cap I was wearing.

He then made a "circular" motion with his "paw".It "hit" me all of a sudden that he was doing the "Roll Tide" circular motion that the Cheerleaders do at Alabama,so I went "ROLLLL TIDE!" and he pumped his "paw" in the air and I looked at the other one and he was pumping his "paw" in the air too!:)

Who would have thought it?Chip and Dale are University of Alabama fans!it was SO funny!:)

OT again(sorry OP),but I HAVE to tell you something that happened during my trip to Walt Disney World last week that I KNOW you will love!:)

ESPNU was having the Home Depot College Football Awards at Atlantic Dance Hall and Mark Ingram,Leigh Tiffin and Terrance Cody were at WDW.They were SO nice and did a GREAT job of representing the University.:)There were Alabama and Texas fans EVERYWHERE last week at WDW-it was SO much fun!

But,what I wanted to tell you is this.I was watching Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade one day and as Chip and Dale walked past me in the Parade,one of them walked over to me.

I thought he was going to give me a "high-five",but he took his "paw" and pointed to the University of Alabama cap I was wearing.

He then made a "circular" motion with his "paw".It "hit" me all of a sudden that he was doing the "Roll Tide" circular motion that the Cheerleaders do at Alabama,so I went "ROLLLL TIDE!" and he pumped his "paw" in the air and I looked at the other one and he was pumping his "paw" in the air too!:)

Who would have thought it?Chip and Dale are University of Alabama fans!it was SO funny!:)

Oh my goodness that is too funny about Chip and Dale....Woohoo we got them on our side for the National Championship :) Oh yah I heard they were there, actually my grandma told me about Tiffin because she heads one of the awards for the kickers. I didn't know that Ingram and Cody were there. They all are wonderful people and I am glad they represented the University well. Saban definitely instills that in them, as does Sarah for us. :goodvibes Well I am glad I have a fellow UA supporter on the boards. ROLL TIDE!!!!

My DD will be one of those gymnasts competing at this meet in January. She's extremely nervous about the meet but very excited to vist WDW again. We're staying at POP but will not be renting a car. We plan to take a taxi from hotel to meet. Can someone tell me how long a taxi ride will be from POP to WWOS? And, can you provide an estimated cost? Just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

My DD will be one of those gymnasts competing at this meet in January. She's extremely nervous about the meet but very excited to vist WDW again. We're staying at POP but will not be renting a car. We plan to take a taxi from hotel to meet. Can someone tell me how long a taxi ride will be from POP to WWOS? And, can you provide an estimated cost? Just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

POP is believe it literally right down the street from WWOS. So the cost should not be too high along with the ride. I don't know how much the taxis run (cost wise) but it shouldn't be costly or anything. Tell your daughter not to be nervous :) It's at Disney lol...also the meet is wonderful, especially sicne it is held at WWOS! Tell her good luck!

Pop Century is literally just right across the street from Disney's Wide World of Sports(which will soon be rebranded ESPN Wide World of Sports in February).:)

Although I wouldn't reccomend it(because you have to cross a BUSY road to get to WWoS from Pop Century)Guests have been known to walk from Pop Century to Wide World of Sports.I would "guesstimate" the walk to be about a mile.:)

Again,I am guessing,but I think the Taxi fare would be about $5.00.

Your only option with Disney Transportation is to take a bus from Pop Century to Disney's Hollywood Studios.There is a Disney bus at DHS that makes a round trip route from DHS to WWoS and back to DHS.It is about a 20minute round trip route,so you could be waiting at DHS as long as 20 minutes for the bus.It can be time consuming,but it is FREE!:)

I hope your daughter's nerves calm down,but I get nervous just WATCHING gymnasts.LOL:)

I just returned from a trip to WDW,so if you have any questions about WDW in general,I would be glad to help!

Have a MAGICAL trip!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter