San Juan Question - Need Help!

HorseLvr83

Earning My Ears
Hi all! We are going on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean in November on the Fantasy! Can't wait!!! One of our ports is San Juan, Puerto Rico. My mom isn't interested in any of the excursions. She wants to go shopping...

Can anyone tell me, how close the pier is to shopping? Would she be able to get off the ship and just go shopping right there without having to go far or is it not walking distance? If it is walking distance, about how far of a walk?

Can anyone also tell me how much walking is involved in the Bacardi Rum Distillary Tour and the New & Old San Juan City Tour?

Thanks everyone!

Most ports of call have shopping districts just beyond the pier.

Hi all! We are going on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean in November on the Fantasy! Can't wait!!! One of our ports is San Juan, Puerto Rico. My mom isn't interested in any of the excursions. She wants to go shopping...

Can anyone tell me, how close the pier is to shopping? Would she be able to get off the ship and just go shopping right there without having to go far or is it not walking distance? If it is walking distance, about how far of a walk?

Can anyone also tell me how much walking is involved in the Bacardi Rum Distillary Tour and the New & Old San Juan City Tour?

Thanks everyone!

You can go right across the street into the town, very close by. It is a bit of a walk to the Forts.
Old San Juan is the area North of the port. I have walked it just fine. We did have a friend give us the tour as he lives there, so we did take short cuts and he knew where to stay safe at all times. He said some of the surrounding areas (around the Forts to the North) are unsafe (like pickpockets and robbery). The Bacardi Factory is across San Juan Bay so without driving or a boat you can't get to it.

The shopping area is just a couple streets up.

The are between the forts that isn't safe is actually outside of the city walls, called La Perla. You can't accidentally get there. You would have to try to get there. Above it is a touristy area with lots of people and houses.

The port is essentially at Old San Juan. You can easily walk the whole town in a matter of a few hours for shopping purposes. You can easily walk to Castillo de San Cristobal (the smaller fort) from the port and see that and then take the free bus to El Morro, then walk through OSJ back to the cruise port. No excursions necessary.

The ship will be docked at the Pan American Pier. There is really nothing close there. You would need a cab ride to get to Old San Juan.
sanjuanportmap_zpsf9c9a746.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter