San Juan - Is there much within walking distance?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Lollipop's Mom, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Lollipop's Mom

Lollipop's Mom <font color=teal>Special trip with your little one

Is there much within walking distance of port?

Also - does anyone know what is best to put into google maps so I can look at the area near the ship?? thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cleophus12

cleophus12 DIS Veteran

You can google the El Morro (I think that's right) and you should be able to see the whole area. Everything is pretty much within walking distance. It's a very walkable port and I think they have a trolley that is either free or very cheap to take you around Old San Juan.

4. Diveman

Diveman Earning My Ears

It was a very easy walk to San Cristobal fort with our 7 and 4 year old. It was a great day with perfect weather! The fort was super cheap too and the kids loved it!

5. Silver Queen

Silver Queen DIS Veteran

We were there two weeks ago on our Fantasy cruise. We toured by ourselves and walked to San Cristobal and El Morro. Old San Juan is lovely with beautiful views of the ocean and is very safe. Wish we were back there now.

6. jenpink

jenpink Mouseketeer

If you turn left after leaving the cruise ship area and walk straight for about 10 minutes you'll reach the city wall. It is beautiful and you can walk it until you see El Morrow. When we were there two weeks ago, there was a sign at the city gate about rock slides and that you can't reach El Morrow from there, but I kept walking and got some great pictures and was able to see the feral cat population that lives in the rocks by the wall. It was a great little walk, no crowds and took an hour total there and back.

7. Wenawen

Wenawen Mouseketeer

Make sure you visit the place where the Pina Colada was invented. It was within walking distance of the cruise ship I was on. There was a sign on the door. I had to go in and have one. It made for a great afternoon since I just got finished with the Bacardi Rum Factory tour!!!

8. manateesmom

manateesmom Mouseketeer

There's a free open air bus that runs to El Morro that we took. Walk out of the port area and to the left a bit, buses run all the time. On the way back from El Morro, we took the "scenic" bus route through Old San Juan, it was very pleasant.

9. zacaronius

zacaronius Earning My Ears

We got off the Fantasy a couple weeks ago and Old San Juan is very walkable, some hill from the port towards the Castillo de San Juan, but isnt to bad. Actually Old San Juan is only about 7 blocks x 7 blocks in size. There is several trolleys/buses that run loops around Old San Juan that are free if you don't want to walk. We felt much safer in Old San Juan than in parts of the city here, and there are police everywhere.
    Heres a site with a map and the trolley information:
    http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

10. Capt_BJ

Capt_BJ So Many Times

the bad thing about Old San Juan is that once you leave the ship - everything is UP HILL !!!! They must raise the ship while you are off, cuz everything you walk is UP !!!!