• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Fransico and the Coast?

I re

Oh wow, didn't even think about rock slides. We are thinking of Labor Day weekend time frame. But I also have a friend interested in late August.
Just spoke to my friends in Carmel area yesterday. There is a huge fire going on right now, in Big Sur. Which is affecting Carmel. I believe Carmel Highlands has been evacuated. My friend in Carmel Valley says it's two miles away from her. That means the Big Sur fire is large. Never has it reached that close, at least as long as I lived there. The smoke and ash is terrible and beginning of school will probably be delayed. Another friend said they don't expect it to be all put out until end of August.

October is a nice month. It's like Indian summer there. As to how long, that's hard to say because it depends on what you want to do/see and how long you want to spend at each spot. Driving along the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) takes longer than the other routes, especially Big Sur area. It's slow go. Need to be aware of rock slides in Big Sur because that certainly closes it down. Also, wild fires. Big Sur had one not too long ago and there was no driving through. I lived on Monterey Peninsula for 16 years. I know the area well (Carmel, Pebble Beach, Carmel by the Sea, Carmel Highlands, Big Sur), if you want more info regarding specifics I'd be happy to share. Another nice stop would be Santa Barbara and Solvang. Solvang is cute. Have a great trip. P.S. Several years ago friends of ours did the coast drive from LA to SF, they spent a minimum of 10 days.
There is a huge fire going on in Big Sur. Carmel Highlands has been evacuated. My friend in Carmel Valley says it's two miles from her house so it means this fire is very large. Start of schools will probably be delayed. The smoke and ash is terrible. They don't expect the fire to be 100% contained till end of August.

I am the proud owner of a San Fran hoodie. I did pack a lightweight trench and sweaters/hoodies but picked one up there as it was on sale in a tourist shop and oh so comfy. I ended up needing it in Anaheim as that was much colder at night, I think it was 5-10 degrees below what it should have been during the day and 50s at night. There was a random rain/mist shower when we went to the park to see the bridge. I recommend a hoodie or thick sweater and then a lightweight rain jacket of sorts. If its cool but not hot you can leave the hoodie/sweater out of the picture. If its dry you can skip the jacket.

When you do go, make sure you get your Alcatraz tickets in advance. My sister went in the beginning of June and the sign said that the next available cruise was July 31. Crazy! They went whale watching instead. She said it was great!
I lived in the area for a couple of years and as everyone is saying,it does get chilly! I don't think I wore shorts the whole time I was there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter