San Francisco (Just Out of Town) Hotel Help

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
We are looking for a hotel convenient to San Francisco and surrounding area sightseeing, but maybe just outside the city. The parking fees for hotels in the city are horrible.

We have a good deal at the Renaissance Nob Hill but parking is $54/day (incl tax).

We will have a rental car and don't mnd a little drive to the sights. We were looking for something like a Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton or Mariott as you usually know what type of accommodations you can expect.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I suggest two things.

Less complex, park your car in a cheaper garage. There are a lot by union square and the wharf. This could bring the cost down to $25-35 a night.

More Complex, find a Hotel near BART. It will be hard to find your hotel close to BART, but Bart is simple to use to get into SF.

Most complex. Try staying in San Jose, which will have a variety of lodging, lot of upper level hotels catering to Silicon Valley businesses. Then drive through traffic into SF. Find a place to park, at a meter, or a garage with a rate like I wrote above.

The Columbus Motor Inn in North Beach, near Fishermans Wharf is a good location with free off street parking. Decent size rooms and close to cable car terminus and on the #30 Stockton bus route. Their sister properties in the Marina district are also quite nice.

We looked for a hotel outside of the city for the exact reason you described - crazy parking costs! We ended up staying at Larkspur Landing in South San Francisco just last week and had a great stay. It wasn't too far from all the sights in SF as well.

I suggest two things.

Less complex, park your car in a cheaper garage. There are a lot by union square and the wharf. This could bring the cost down to $25-35 a night.

More Complex, find a Hotel near BART. It will be hard to find your hotel close to BART, but Bart is simple to use to get into SF.

Most complex. Try staying in San Jose, which will have a variety of lodging, lot of upper level hotels catering to Silicon Valley businesses. Then drive through traffic into SF. Find a place to park, at a meter, or a garage with a rate like I wrote above.

There are plenty of name-brand hotels near the SF airport, which would put you closer to SF than if you stayed somewhere near San Jose. Also some in South San Francisco that also cater to corporate clients. From the SFO area, you're looking at a five to 10-minute drive to SF (could be longer due to traffic).

Thanks for all of the ideas. With regard to Larkspur Landing, was it modern and clean? Two key elements. We usually stay in brand names we had experiences with only because we are unsure about others.

It looks great online. Just wondering how it was in person. How long did it take to get to Fisherman's Wharf?

I just called Larkspur Landing and unfortunately the only option they have that would sleep 4 (we have 2 teenagers with us) in beds is their Grand Suite which is more expensive than what we have at the Renaissance. All other options were with pullout sofas.

I'm disappointed as it looked like a very nice place and the location looked favorable.

Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate all of the info I have received so far.

Sorry the Larkspur didn't work out as it was very clean and modern. Our 2 kids are much younger than yours so they just shared the pull-out sofa. There were lots of other hotels in the area - hopefully you can find something else.

Parking is part of the cost of staying in the city. I like the Handlery in Union Sq. it does charge for parking but not $55

We used to stay, So. Bay, East Bay etc......the time and expense to get back into the city just were not worth it to us and we have opted to go the Motel route in our favorite neighborhood, Cow Hollow aka the Marina Dist.

We love the Travellodge Golden Gate on Lombard. It is not fancy but it is clean, centrally located, close to all modes of transportation with lots of food and shopping options and the best part - free parking!

Monterey:
We like the Monterey Bay Lodge

We are looking for a hotel convenient to San Francisco and surrounding area sightseeing, but maybe just outside the city. The parking fees for hotels in the city are horrible.

We have a good deal at the Renaissance Nob Hill but parking is $54/day (incl tax).

We will have a rental car and don't mnd a little drive to the sights. We were looking for something like a Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton or Mariott as you usually know what type of accommodations you can expect.

Are you flying into to San Francisco? You could stay outside the city with the rental car & see the sights outside of town.Then drop the car back at the airport,take a taxi or BART into town. On our last trip we wanted to go to Monterey/Carmel so we rented a car for a few days for that part of the trip & stayed in that area.Then we dropped the car back at the airport & took a cab into San Francisico for the rest of the trip.

We stayed at the Doubletree in Berkely last year. Great rates, free parking, and they had a shuttle to the Bart station so it was easy to get into San Fran. We just called them when we were a few stops out and they would be there waiting to pick us up.

Great suggestions about the Doubletree and rental car. Yes we are flying into San Francisco.

Has anyone had any experience with the Larkspur Hotel in Mill Valley?

Thanks for everyone's help!

There are a ton of cutesy boutique style hotels in Marin County, but unfortunately I don't think fitting in the two teens would work, and they are pricey too.

There is an Embassy Suites just off the freeway in San Rafael and it is definitely nice, typical Embassy Suites hotel and has free parking. It is not as close as Larkspur Landing, but it would not be a long drive into the city. Have you tried priceline? I know the parking at the hotels in SF is awful but sometimes with priceline you can get enough of a deal to stay in the city and offset the cost.

Do you plan to spend every day in the city? Because it might be worth it to save yourself the bridge toll and then daily parking (at whatever attractions you go to). Maybe you won't need a car depending on what your plans are.

Have fun, San Francisco is beautiful!

Hi:wave2:

Oh, I so want to help! I was born and raised in San Francisco, so I would like to help you out! :yay:

ANYTHING in the city is $$$$$. I would suggest staying in the "peninsula" meaning anything south of San Francisco. There are many hotels near SFO with great public transportation into the city. May I suggest
The Hampton Inn, link:
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=SFODCHX
It's in Daly City, the first city south of San Francisco. When you face The Hampton Inn, to the left, down the street, is "Val's", a great Italian restaurant that has been around for years.
http://www.valsrestaurant.net/
It's very near to the train station "BART" which goes straight into San Francisco and beyond. Prking at the BART station is $2.00/day.
BART link:
http://www.bart.gov/index.aspx
From BART, depending on which station you get off, you can transfer onto the MUNI line in SF:
http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta.php
Near BART, there is a movie theater, STARBUCKS, and other restaurants nearby. But I would check out Val's.
Hampton Inn is very close to the SF Zoo, Highway 1, Cliff House. There is immediate access to the freeway and "19th Avenue" which takes you STRAIGHT into Golden Gate Park, stay on 19th Avenue and it will take you to The Presidio where the Walt Disney Family Museum is:
http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/
Continue on 19th, and you will cross the Golden Gate Bridge:
http://www.goldengatebridge.org/
Thanks for all of the ideas. With regard to Larkspur Landing, was it modern and clean? Two key elements. We usually stay in brand names we had experiences with only because we are unsure about others.
It looks great online. Just wondering how it was in person. How long did it take to get to Fisherman's Wharf?

I just called Larkspur Landing and unfortunately the only option they have that would sleep 4 (we have 2 teenagers with us) in beds is their Grand Suite which is more expensive than what we have at the Renaissance. All other options were with pullout sofas.
I'm disappointed as it looked like a very nice place and the location looked favorable.
Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate all of the info I have received so far.
Great suggestions about the Doubletree and rental car. Yes we are flying into San Francisco.
Has anyone had any experience with the Larkspur Hotel in Mill Valley?
Thanks for everyone's help!
I don't know about the hotel, but keep in mind the traffic during rush hour and key times during any sporting events. The toll to cross the bridge(Golden Gate) is $6.00 one way, but if you cross back and forth, then you will need to pay $6.00 each time you go "southbound".
The traffic during commuting time and any sporting event, to me, is awful, esp. since your time is limited.
Good luck and search around, I hope this gives you an idea of what's out there! :flower3:

P.s....
Check out Embassy Suites:
http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en...ncisco-Airport-Burlingame-California/index.do

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information. We really appreciate it!

Can't wait to come out for vacation. You have suggested quite a few things that I hadn't considered. Thank you for taking the time to put it all
together. :)

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information. We really appreciate it!

Can't wait to come out for vacation. You have suggested quite a few things that I hadn't considered. Thank you for taking the time to put it all
together. :)

Good luck, and have fun ! :goodvibes

Downtown San Fran has pricey parking fees. If you are able to move to another hotel, try outside the SAN FRAN area. For example, try a hotel in or around Daly City. I believe their parking is free and there is free breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter