San Diego to DLR Help Please!

wdwgoofydaddy

DIS Veteran
Hello all,
We are planning our first trip to DLR next year and need some logistic advice. We will be flying into San Diego to board the Disney Wonder for a short cruise then off to DLR.
We want to spend the day at Legoland on our way to DLR so we know renting a car would be our best option. We will only need the car one way from San Diego to DLR because we will be flying out of an airport close to DLR.

My question is, which care rental company should I rent from? Do I need to grab a cab from the cruise terminal to the airport, and pick up the car? Should it be Alamo because they have an office in DTD?

Any help you can provide would be of value.

Thanks in advance.

I live in San Diego! You will have a great time, we also have annual passes to legoland. Most rental car places are located very close to the cruise ship terminal since it is only about 2 miles from the airport. When looking for rental cars your biggest issue will be the one way destination fee for drop off.

Are you planning on going directly from legoland to DLR?

Also depending on your kids ages, their is a method to legoland! Are you planning on doing the water park?

I live in San Diego! You will have a great time, we also have annual passes to legoland. Most rental car places are located very close to the cruise ship terminal since it is only about 2 miles from the airport. When looking for rental cars your biggest issue will be the one way destination fee for drop off.

Are you planning on going directly from legoland to DLR?

Also depending on your kids ages, their is a method to legoland! Are you planning on doing the water park?

Thanks for the response dmcdixie. I've read that the car rental office close to the cruise terminal are still quite a walk away, especially with luggage and kids.

Our kids are 9 and 11 and really good travellers. I've prices out Alamo from the San Diego airport 1 way to DLR DTD and for a full size car it was about $200.

We are planning to get off the ship, get the rental car, drive to Legoland (no water park), spend the day there and start the drive again to DLR at about 4pm so we can arrive at DLR before dinner to check in and have dinner that evening at DTD.

What is the "method" to Legoland? Very interested to learn...

I would call Alamo, and have them pick you up! If not a cab will only run you about $5.

For legoland, once in the entrance go to your right. All of the "bigger" roller coasters and rides are that way. The dragon coaster line is one of the longest so if you hit that early it is best. Also if you do that whol area, knights table is a great spot for lunch. Then i would go through mini-land and then to the other side of the park!

Have a great time. Depending on the day of the week you might hit some traffic going north on the 5 but from legoland it is only about 1 15 min drive! Take advantage of the carpool!

I would call Alamo, and have them pick you up! If not a cab will only run you about $5.

For legoland, once in the entrance go to your right. All of the "bigger" roller coasters and rides are that way. The dragon coaster line is one of the longest so if you hit that early it is best. Also if you do that whol area, knights table is a great spot for lunch. Then i would go through mini-land and then to the other side of the park!

Have a great time. Depending on the day of the week you might hit some traffic going north on the 5 but from legoland it is only about 1 15 min drive! Take advantage of the carpool!

Thanks a bunch for the tips... We will put them to good use.

Also check the Legoland website. During the off season Legoland is closed certain days of the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter