San Diego to DL (driving)

askias

Earning My Ears
After spending a few days in San Diego, we'll be driving up to DL next Saturday, 5/26. How early should we leave SD for DL, and how long should we expect the trip to take?

We'll be spending one night in the DL hotel. Let's say we leave SD at 8 and get there at 10. I'm assuming that's too early to check in. Do we leave our car at the DL hotel, go straight to the park and deal with check in later in the afternoon? Or can we swing by the front desk, let them know we're here and they can buzz us later when the room is ready?

Heading back on Sunday late afternoon/early evening. What's the traffic like headed back into San Diego at that point?

Thanks!

I have to go to San Diego often enough, and lately Saturdays seem to have a lot of traffic (there's always traffic here). Two hours seems like a good number for arriving at Disneyland.

You go to the hotel and park in the area for registration. Go ahead and let them know you're there. You can leave your luggage at the desk or in your car, however you want to handle it, and then you can call them at 3pm or 4pm to find out if your room is ready. If I remember correctly, though, they called me to tell me my room was ready in the afternoon.

Sunday afternoon has a lot of people returning home - expect the drive to last at least two hours, but I would count three just in case.

We have always found the drive to me around 2 hours unless we leave a 0200 or at 2200. The LA basin always has traffic since the towns run 24/7. Its an easy drive.

Jack

Takes us *at least* an hour and a half. And I generally don't start timing it until I'm north of downtown.

If there is a game happening at Petco (is that what the downtown stadium is called? well, whatever it IS called, that's what I'm talking about) give yourself MORE time, especially if you're staying in downtown (or just getting into the airport before heading north), b/c just getting off the road from the airport can take half an hour with off-work or game traffic!

I would go through the checkin process and get bags with Bell Services, and THEN head to the parks. So give yourself more time for that, too.

Thanks everyone. Don't think the Padres are in town, so not worrying about that. The Sunday night drive back has me concerned though - maybe we'll get an early jump on it if we can. Thanks!

I agree with everyone else. Both ways you're driving in the opposite direction of the heavy traffic flow. Most people are headed down to San Diego on early Saturday morning and returning on Sunday evening. I always pad my time on long trips and 2 hours is allowing plenty of time.

We did this last month -- drove to DL (on a Tuesday morning) from SD; we were very surprised and delighted to find our room was ready for us when we arrived at 10 am, so while you can't expect it, it's worth checking in when you arrive just in case!

We did the drive last Tuesday (5/8). Took about 1 1/2 hours to get here in the morning. Left about 8:30 AM. We took the I-15 on a recommendation from a friend. I've heard that taking the I-5 is gridlock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter