san diego 1st night- 5 p.m. on, what to do?

lillady718

Earning My Ears
Hi - I'm thinking we'll arrive/check in at our San Diego hotel by 5p.m.

It will be a Friday.
What could we do the rest of the evening that would be fun?

Probably too awful of a time to go looking at the beach? (rush hour?)

We're staying at the Days Inn Hotel Circle

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions

If the Padres are in town, take in a ballgame. The new stadium is beautiful!

Yes, traffic won't be great, but I'd probably just go north a few miles on the highway and then make my way over to the Pacific Coast Highway. Drive north, find a cool fish taco place, pull over when you get bored at any public beach and dip your toes in the water.

Maybe it's because I don't live near an ocean, but when I get to San Diego, the first thing I always want to do is drive the stretch from La Jolla to Carlsbad along the PCH. If there's traffic, no biggie. Just gives you more time to stare at the ocean.

When will you be arriving?

During race season (July through September) there are concerts at the Del Mar Race Track and 4 o'clock races. Del Mar Races

If you want a romantic place to watch the sunset, try Mount Soledad or the Torrey Pines Glider Port.

A nice place to get a drink and see the lights and sights is the Top of the Hyatt in Downtown.

If you have kids, I can give ideas for a family event also.

One of my favorite places to go at night in San Diego is Seaport Village. You can walk around and shop, and have dinner at one of the restaurants there. It has a great atmosphere and is right along the water. Another shopping idea is Horton Plaza. There is an EXCELLENT restaurant on the top floor there -- I think it was called Napa Valley Grill, or something like that.

Another spot I thought was just beautiful was Cabrillo National Monument. I'm not sure how long it stays open, but I remember going there while it was still light but the sun was starting to go down. It was a beautiful area along a cliffside, and the drive there was interesting as well.

Yes I do have an 11 year old son.
It will be my husband, myself, and 11 year old.
Thanks for the ideas! I should have mentioned that it needed to be 'kid friendly'
The beach intrigues me(except for the traffic)- is there one in particular nearby that would be safe to go to on a Friday night?
Thanks

lillady718 said:
Yes I do have an 11 year old son.
It will be my husband, myself, and 11 year old.
Thanks for the ideas! I should have mentioned that it needed to be 'kid friendly'
The beach intrigues me(except for the traffic)- is there one in particular nearby that would be safe to go to on a Friday night?
Thanks

How about Mission Beach? That area is beautiful at night, there is an arcade, a roller coaster, lots of little shops and such. A really nice place overall, it stays open pretty late. It's not far from Hotel Circle at all.

batraylover said:
How about Mission Beach? That area is beautiful at night, there is an arcade, a roller coaster, lots of little shops and such. A really nice place overall, it stays open pretty late. It's not far from Hotel Circle at all.

Call me a scaredy cat but Mission Beach near the coaster after dark is a bit too rough for me. Sometimes there can be some serious gang activity there esp after dark.

What about the zoo at night? If you weren't already planning a zoo trip the SD Zoo has a neat summer nighttime program. I am assuming they will have it this summer - check their website to be certain. It's very close to the hotel circle area too.

You could take the bridge over to Coronado Island. There's a really nice Mexican restaurant called Miguel's Cocina which is located about a 1/2 block from the Hotel Del Coronado. It has a great outdoor patio area and the food is really good. Also, you can stop by the Del and check it out. It's a neat place to see at least once. Your 11-year old might even like it.

Isecond Seaport Village, It's also fun to just walk along the Embarcadero Especially if the Nimitz or Reagan is in. Take a gander at the Star of India, The Midway, the tuna fleet. And a perosnal fav, the Santa Fe railroad station.

I second the zoo. Very fun at night, much cooler too.

LuvTigger said:
One of my favorite places to go at night in San Diego is Seaport Village. You can walk around and shop, and have dinner at one of the restaurants there. It has a great atmosphere and is right along the water. Another shopping idea is Horton Plaza. There is an EXCELLENT restaurant on the top floor there -- I think it was called Napa Valley Grill, or something like that.

Haven't eaten at that restaurant, but these are two of my favorite places to go!!!

You can also check out Kansas City Bar-B-Q. It's the bar from the Top Gun movie where Goose is playing the piano. The piano is still there.

We took a dinner cruise from the harbour. I LOVED that!!

Yeah, it's too bad that Top Gun left town for Nevada and the less exciting Marines took over Miramar.

hookedup said:
Call me a scaredy cat but Mission Beach near the coaster after dark is a bit too rough for me. Sometimes there can be some serious gang activity there esp after dark.

What about the zoo at night? If you weren't already planning a zoo trip the SD Zoo has a neat summer nighttime program. I am assuming they will have it this summer - check their website to be certain. It's very close to the hotel circle area too.

Mission Beach immediately came to mind when the OP stated that they have an 11 year old. I cannot imagine an 11 year old enjoying seaport village at night or a harbor dinner cruise. As for some not enjoying Mission Beach at dark, to each his own. I wouldn't go near Mission Beach if it were not at night. The daytime, especially weekends even on off season are far too busy, the water and waves are horrible for surfing and even swimming, and the number of people is just ridiculous down there. The roller coaster, rides like the tilt o whirl, and such look gorgeous all lit up at night. Like I said, to each his own.

The zoo at night is an excellent idea it runs for a limited time, for 2005 it is June 25-September 5. Wild animal park has park at dark running from June 18-September 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter