San Angel - Recommendations for the Less Adventurous (me!)

GovieMom

DIS Veteran
My DH would like to try San Angel, both for the atmosphere and because he enjoys Mexican food. I on the other hand don't care for guacamole, re-fried or black beans, hot peppers or spices, etc. I am basically a meat-and-potatoes type, and was wondering what might be good to order, using a TS credit for dinner. I saw there was a beef and flour-tortilla dish that looks fine, but it's listed as an appetizer. And I saw that the tenderloin comes with those beans. Any suggestions for people like me? Thanks!

If you go at lunch you have some options that might be better for you
www.allears.net

Traditional Mexican Lunch
$28.00

Sopa Azteca - traditional tortilla soup

Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo - Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken, covered with green tomatillo sauce

Crema Bavaria - creamy Bavarian mousse served with mixed berries, cinnamon and orange liqueur

OR

Ensalada César - Romaine lettuce, anchovies, parmesan cheese. With Grilled Chicken $14.50 With Shrimp $17.50

1) I worked in Mexico for two years building/running plants.
2) It was 2-weeks down and 2-weeks home, every month.
3) I had a tough time eating, because I don't like much Mexican food or chiles.
4) So, I would recommend:
. . . Ensalada Caesar (Cesar Salad)
. . . Pollo A Las Rajas (chicken with regular red peppers - not hot peppers)
. . . Helado de Dulce de Leche (caramel ice cream)

Does anyone know if the tilapia dish (entree both at lunch and at dinner) has peppers? I know the listed side is poblano rice but that can be replaced/removed. But what about the fish and its sauce?

My DH would like to try San Angel, both for the atmosphere and because he enjoys Mexican food. I on the other hand don't care for guacamole, re-fried or black beans, hot peppers or spices, etc. I am basically a meat-and-potatoes type, and was wondering what might be good to order, using a TS credit for dinner. I saw there was a beef and flour-tortilla dish that looks fine, but it's listed as an appetizer. And I saw that the tenderloin comes with those beans. Any suggestions for people like me? Thanks!

I would ask for substitutions and/or explain to the server that you don't care for spicy foods. They could certainly give you suggestions. For example, ask them to hold the beans for the tenderloin dish, or see if they can substitute a small salad.

When we've been there many times before, the kids aren't adventurous at all... They brought out three plates if chicken and french fries. I'm sure they could grill a steak and season it a little or do the same with chicken.

Good luck and enjoy, we really enjoy this restaurant.

If you ask, there is every possibility that they will grill you a plain steak or chicken breast. And if they say no, you do have some suggestions here, you can ask for sauces or beans to be left off.

I'm so happy I saw this thread. For our trip next year each adult is choosing one restaurant (the other two dinners will be character meals). My MIL chose San Angel Inn, because she is a HUGE Mexcian food lover. My mother, on the other hand, is, like OP, a meat and potatoes person. She is really not adventerous, which is fine of course. At every other restaurant I can pretty much see something on the menu she'd eat. But I was really worried about San Angel. Good to know they will probably work with her on ordering something plain-ish. Huge load of my shoulders, so thanks y'all! :)

The Pollo a las Rajas was very good. The red peppers are just regular bell peppers not spicy peppers. And you can always tell them to leave the beans or sauces off if you want something plain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter