Salvaging my soup

koima

Mouseketeer
I made a chili soup for dinner with canned beans and canned tomatoes, and it has a tinny flavor. Anything I can do to get the tinny flavor out and salvage the pot?

Add just a tiny bit of sugar to it. Not to much to make it sweet, but a little bit will help with the acid in the tomatoes and take the tinny taste away.

It's probably too late, and not for vegetarians, but one trick passed down from my grandmother is that some beef or chicken bouillon seems to go a ways to getting rid of that canned taste. With your chili, I'd go with the beef. Just lessen the salt you add when using. We find it's most effective with canned green beans :thumbsup2

I swear sometimes it's the brand of the canned veggies that gives it the tinny flavor....but when it happens to my chilli or spaghetti sauce, the little bit of sugar that GoofyforDisney3 suggested also works for me.

Maddle

I always add Sweet & Low ( 1 or 2 packets ) or any other sugar free sweetener. I've done this for years, there's no sweet taste, and I never have a 'tinny' taste which I only find with canned tomato products. I've never found this with other canned vegetables....hope this helps. Also, I always do this as I'm making the dish, never have tried it afterwards so I'm not sure if it'll help you salvage the dish but it can't hurt to try. Good luck.....

It's probably too late, and not for vegetarians, but one trick passed down from my grandmother is that some beef or chicken bouillon seems to go a ways to getting rid of that canned taste. With your chili, I'd go with the beef. Just lessen the salt you add when using. We find it's most effective with canned green beans :thumbsup2

The trick to getting rid of excess salt is to peel a potato or two and place them in the pot. When the potato is soft throw it away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter