Salvaging a Cancelled Trip ?

Ukladmok

Earning My Ears
Thought I might be able to tap into the vast pool of DVC knowledge on these boards and see if someone can help me with this problem:

We have a two-bedroom villa booked for January 2004. This week I was hired for a position with the government that will require me to go down to Georgia for four months of training. Unfortunately January is one of those months and it looks like we’ll be unable to go to Disney.

Has anybody ever had an experience like this where you had to cancel your trip and weren’t sure if you were going to be able to plan another one during the year? We borrowed some points from next year for this trip and I know once points are borrowed, you cannot return them. I’d really hate to just lose points. I’m trying to figure some way to salvage them.

I had thought I remembered reading somewhere on this board that Disney will give you a once in a lifetime “pardon” for returning points that you were unable to use to their original use year. Is there any truth to that?

Any help, ideas or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats on your new job and sorry that you won't make it to your trip.

I think your best bet is to rent out your points. My understanding of the one time exception is if you miss the banking window. However, it will not help your borrowed or banked points. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

The "one time option" usually kicks in for missed banking windows or allows banking of points for a trip missed due to something like a death. I'm not sure you would fall under those guidelines.

How about using the points for a trip to WDW, Vero or HHI before you have to go away? Or, look into booking something for a long weekend on the Concierge Collection. Just remember that non-DVC trips have to be booked more than 60 days before the end of your Use Year. You can travel during this time but the reservation has to be made earlier to allow Disney to "sell" your DVC accomodations to pay for your non-DVC trip.

You could also look into renting and/or gifting the points to a friends or relative.

You could cancel the trip, bank this years points, or at least as many as you could, and then as Pam said, use the borrowed points for a short stay elsewhere.

What a great opportunity. Bank whatever you can, and if your training in Georgia do you have the opportunity for Magical Weekend getaways, you are only a short distance from the magic.

Or you may be closer to Hilton Head/ just had a great vacation there. Maybe bring family down to visit you.

Thanks for all the advice. There were some good ideas there. Still don’t know what we’re going to do but I’m going to take a long hard look at all my options and try to figure out what course to take.

Thanks again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter