Salted Caramel Cupcakes

After making the comment about not enough caramel, I went back in and gave them some more... they turned out perfect.

I 'injected' them twice. Yummola. The homemade buttercream frosting was really good, too.

Just bought my ingredients today and will be making them for a picnic at my sister's tomorrow. Can't wait to see how these go over! I haven't found the Skol or Heath bars yet, but will just go with the caramel drizzled over the top if I can't.

I ended up using Heath bars for the top and boy, were these things yummy! They were a big hit at the picnic. I will definitely make them again next time I have to make a cake. They were really quite simple to make and I make my cupcakes from scratch using the Hershey Cocoa recipe. If anyone has a recipe for homemade caramel, I'd love to try that.

Good question :) I'm pretty challenged in that area too! First, I gotta say that it made it a LOT easier to wait 'til they were cooler before filling. Also, instead of squirting the caramel down into the cupcake, I held the bottle upright, stuck the cupcake on upside down, then turned it over and gave it a squirt. Not too much or it would be soggy, just a good firm squirt seemed to work just fine! :thumbsup2

I hope that made sense... LOL!

I don't understand why it made a difference which way you inserted it into the cupcake, since you ended up turning it over?

Also, I thought the reason to insert the caramel while it was still warm, was so that both the cupcake & the caramel weren't firm. :confused3

I don't understand why it made a difference which way you inserted it into the cupcake, since you ended up turning it over?

I'm guessing that when you turn the bottle over to insert into the cupcake, the caramel probably starts to drip out. If you invert the cupcake over the nozzle and then flip it over, no drips.

Thanks for posting the recipe! :yay:They sound amazing! :goodvibes
I would love to make these as a re-do for my DD's birthday cupcakes that she made for her friends (she forgot the butter in the recipe :rolleyes1)

The only thing is she can't have skor bars since she is allergic to peanuts/tree
nuts. Does anyone have a suggestion of something I can use in place of the skor bars?

I found this recipe - it was from a Mom who needed a substitute for Skor bits due to her daughter's allergy.

http://www.food.com/recipe/english-toffee-7125

Just finished them....they are the best! The hubby LOVED them, can't stop raving about them. I am taking them to a cook out, so I hope they are as big of a hit there.

Thank you for the recipe.

Yummy! I bookmarked the recipe to make for Christmas!! DBF LOVED Skor bars-- and his salted peanut butter/chocolate dessert at the Yachtsman last year was his favorite! This seems kinda similar! I think this'll be a big hit! Thanks!!

OMG...I'm sitting here eating one right now. These have got to be the best cupcakes I've ever had. It's a good thing my husband is taking these tomorrow otherwise I'd probably eat them all.

Those sound AMAZING! I will have to try them!:thumbsup2

I'm SO glad that so many people like them as much as I do... I've been restraining myself from buying the ingredients to make more, because I know I'd be baaad... ;)

Grrrrr....trying to make this over the weekend.

I have been to Wegmans, Target, and Walmart and CANNOT find the squirt bottle or the Skor bars. I have one more Walmart I can get to and then I don't know what I'm going to do.

I actually don't mind skipping the Skor bars because my son would want to eat these and he has a peanut allergy so if I don't have the candy on top, no big deal. But I think I need the squirt bottle.

I bet I could probaby get one at a beauty supply store.

I planned on making these for a family cookout this past Saturday. I live in a very small town. There is a slightly less small town about 12 miles away and it has a Food Lion. Friday night I found most of my ingredients, even a vanilla bean, which I had never bought before, lol... They didn't have Skor or squeeze bottles...grrrr!

Went to a couple more stores, Super Dollar, Dollar General, no luck finding either item....grrrr! Finally stopped at a smaller convenience store on the way home thinking they might atleast have Skor, but I ended up having to get Heath..which is okay, but what was I going to do without the squeeze bottle??

Anyway, I was venting to my mom, as we were grocery shopping together and when we got back to her house she started digging through kitchen drawers to see what she could find. She found a miniature turkey baster (don't ask me why she has this). I thought it might work but the tip wasn't pointy enough. But figuring I'd make it work somehow, I headed home!

So what I ended up doing was letting the cupcakes cool a bit then cutting a small hole in the top and pulling out a "plug"...I used the mini turkey baster to squirt the caramel into the cupcake and then stuck the "plug" back in. Once iced you couldn't tell the cupcake had been defaced and they turned out DELICIOUS!! I got many compliments on them at the cookout! I also just drizzled the caramel off of a regular teaspoon onto the top of the cupcakes. I guess if I'd not had the turkey baster I would have done the same thing to get the caramel inside the cupcake. All in all it took a little more time, but still worked out great!!

I planned on making these for a family cookout this past Saturday. I live in a very small town. There is a slightly less small town about 12 miles away and it has a Food Lion. Friday night I found most of my ingredients, even a vanilla bean, which I had never bought before, lol... They didn't have Skor or squeeze bottles...grrrr!

Went to a couple more stores, Super Dollar, Dollar General, no luck finding either item....grrrr! Finally stopped at a smaller convenience store on the way home thinking they might atleast have Skor, but I ended up having to get Heath..which is okay, but what was I going to do without the squeeze bottle??

Anyway, I was venting to my mom, as we were grocery shopping together and when we got back to her house she started digging through kitchen drawers to see what she could find. She found a miniature turkey baster (don't ask me why she has this). I thought it might work but the tip wasn't pointy enough. But figuring I'd make it work somehow, I headed home!

So what I ended up doing was letting the cupcakes cool a bit then cutting a small hole in the top and pulling out a "plug"...I used the mini turkey baster to squirt the caramel into the cupcake and then stuck the "plug" back in. Once iced you couldn't tell the cupcake had been defaced and they turned out DELICIOUS!! I got many compliments on them at the cookout! I also just drizzled the caramel off of a regular teaspoon onto the top of the cupcakes. I guess if I'd not had the turkey baster I would have done the same thing to get the caramel inside the cupcake. All in all it took a little more time, but still worked out great!!

Sounds great. I never got around to making mine because I spent so much time running around looking for stuff, plus I had to go buy a bed at Ikea, which turned into three trips to Ikea that I ran out of time. So THIS weekend I'm making them. I have everything I need now.

Bummer -- mine didn't turn out! :sad2: I was so excited, too. I think it's been years since I've made cupcakes.

I think I mis-calculated the amount of salt I needed and put in too much. Plus, it turns out the recipe for the frosting is identical to the one we use for Christmas cookies, so it kind of tasted a little "off" on something other than the cookies I've eaten for decades!

FWIW, if anyone's still looking, I couldn't find the squirt bottle at one Walmart near me, but it was at another one -- so they're out there!

I made these over the weekend, sans Skor bars, and frankly, thought they were just so-so and the rest of the family isn't wild about them either. I'm wondering if I put too much caramel in? When I put the caramel in, since I had heated it in the microwave, it was very runny and I used a sport cap smartwater bottle since I didn't have the squeeze bottle, and maybe there's too much caramel in there.

I might try again sometime.

I made these over the weekend, sans Skor bars, and frankly, thought they were just so-so and the rest of the family isn't wild about them either. I'm wondering if I put too much caramel in? When I put the caramel in, since I had heated it in the microwave, it was very runny and I used a sport cap smartwater bottle since I didn't have the squeeze bottle, and maybe there's too much caramel in there.

I might try again sometime.

They might just be so-so. I've eaten some terrible cupcakes (IMO) that other people have RAVED about. Not that this going on with this thread but some people are easily pleased with simple things. This guy at work brought in some cupcakes his wife made because "everyone raved about them at a family party" he brought them to. I was sooooo excited (I love a good cupcake!). Well, she had made cupcakes with the boxed spice cake mix and canned frosting that was smeared on with the top of the cupcake still showing through. While I like spice cake, these were just kind of nasty. She didn't do anything "wrong" to them but they were nowhere near raveworthy but people at this party thought that were "great." So, either they think anything is good or they were being polite.:confused3

I tend to believe internet reviews moreso that what people tell me in person so I have high hopes for these. My only serious doubt about them is that jarred caramel can be too runny for my taste. I prefer firm caramel. I know that this caramel will be runny and so I'm not sure I'm going to like it too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter