Salt and Straw samples often contain less “bread” than a scoop does

whiteness

Free pet adoptions
For the third month in a row, I ordered scoop of seasonal ice cream at Salt and Straw after sampling it, only to be disappointed. Usually, the main reason is the ratio of mix-ins to base ice cream being different in the sample than the scoop. Especially, when the mix-ins have unpleasant mouth feel or excessively sweet in bulk versus smaller chunks or quantities.

I hate wasting food, but I have often found myself tossing out their half eaten ice cream. I’m not sure what they can do about this: a lot of people probably find their mix-in to ice cream ratio enjoyable. Maybe some would prefer even more mix-ins. But I sample things so I’ll know if I will like them, and if the sample is not letting me know what eating a scoop will be like, that makes it harder for me to make the right choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could just stick to the classic flavors. If they still had the goat cheese and olive brittle I’d probably just order that every time. But I’m still searching for a new favorite.

I don’t think I’d keep trying to branch out at a place where I’m routinely throwing out an expensive product I bought, half eaten. I’d stick with what I like or go elsewhere. There’s no reason to be continually throwing out food you don’t like at Disney Springs, of all places. It’s too expensive and there are too many other great dessert options there.

If mix-ins are off-putting perhaps Vivoli.

I am starting to agree with the posters that have suggested I stop getting ice cream at Salt and Straw. I said as much to my wife the last time we went there.

This makes me very sad. When we lived near Disneyland, visiting Salt and Straw in Downtown Disney was a before or after park ritual that we always looked forward to and enjoyed. I loved the mix-ins and bold choices of many of their flavors. Like I said, the goat cheese and olive brittle was a genius combination.

When we relocated to Kissimmee, we missed our favorite ice cream shop and were so excited when we heard that they were finally opening a branch here.

And, now, after being disappointed multiple times by their seasonal flavors, I am seriously considering not going there anymore. Or not getting their seasonal flavors anymore, which is really something I used to enjoy about visiting their branch in Anaheim.

I am looking forward to going to The Salt snd Straw next week when we are there. My husband looked at the menu and decided for that cost he’ll get ice cream elsewhere 😂. I love weird food, he does not.

I am looking forward to going to The Salt snd Straw next week when we are there. My husband looked at the menu and decided for that cost he’ll get ice cream elsewhere 😂. I love weird food, he does not.
To be honest, the "turkey" ice cream was the most palatable seasonal ice cream for me this time. It had some chunks of candy stuff, which I guess had bacon in them, but at least it didn't have gritty or chewy chunks of bread or stuffing.

Why not just get the regular flavors ...unless you don’t like them ? I went to one in Portland, OR, where they originate from - the strawberry balsamic whatever was phenomenal. I’m not impressed with their seasonal flavors this time - I detest licorice, and I don’t like my ice cream to be overloaded with candy

I‘m going tonight

Why not just get the regular flavors ...unless you don’t like them ? I went to one in Portland, OR, where they originate from - the strawberry balsamic whatever was phenomenal. I’m not impressed with their seasonal flavors this time - I detest licorice, and I don’t like my ice cream to be overloaded with candy

I‘m going tonight
I kind of liked when they mixed sweet and savory. I don't like sweet ice cream very much. For example, I almost like their Lavender and Honey flavor, but I prefer the Lavender and Earl Gray version at Universal Studios because it is less sweet.

I do like their Olive Oil flavor. But it is a bit bland and boring compared to their wonderful goat cheese and olive brittle. So, I couldn't imagine getting it every time I went there unless it was infrequently. I used to visit Salt and Straw in Anaheim every time I visited the parks (you know, park at Mickey and Friends, walk through Downtown Disney...hello Salt and Straw!)

Salt & Straw is not good ice cream. It's another example of a company trying too hard and overdoing every part of what it is trying to accomplish. The ice cream bases are not well balanced, the texture is off (its chewy, probably from too much guar gum or other unnecessary thickeners), it's often too salty or too sweet, the chocolate is often chalky, etc. The mix ins are too much. Pieces are too large, things like the cookie dough are too salty and overwhelm the mouth, etc. There is no consistency from day to day. You're at the whim of whomever made the batch you are eating. They only seem to loosely follow recipes.

Stop eating it. There is better ice cream out there. At Disney Springs, stick to Ghirardelli. They never miss.

Last edited:
Salt & Straw is not good ice cream. It's another example of a company trying too hard and overdoing every part of what if is trying to accomplish. The ice cream bases are not well balanced, the texture is off (its chewy, probably from too much guar gum or other unnecessary thickeners), it's often too salty or too sweet, the chocolate is often chalky, etc. The mix ins are too much. Pieces are too large, things like the cookie dough are too salty and overwhelm the mouth, etc. There is no consistency from day to day. You're at the whim of whomever made the batch you are eating. They only seem to loosely follow recipes.

Stop eating it. There is better ice cream out there. At Disney Springs, stick to Ghirardelli. They never miss.
I am reluctantly starting to agree with this. But, as I've mentioned, we loved the Salt and Straw in Downtown Disney. I'm sorry I cannot say the same about my new local branch.

I am reluctantly starting to agree with this. But, as I've mentioned, we loved the Salt and Straw in Downtown Disney. I'm sorry I cannot say the same about my new local branch.

I've only been to the Anaheim one and it was a "3 strikes and you're out" type deal for me. I don't waste my money anymore. Ghirardelli is my go to at the parks now. I miss Häagen-Dazs at Downtown Disney.

Salt & Straw is the Sprinkles of tomorrow. It's trendy, new and something different especially for people from smaller metros/towns visiting disney but it's not great ice cream just like sprinkles isn't really that great when it comes to cupcakes. And of course, it's paid for at a premium. There are a few stand outs at Disney Springs when it comes to food and salt & straw for us is not one of them. I'd stop eating there and move on to somewhere else. Chains can be great at one location and not so hot at another, happens all the time but that's far too much money to waste on subpar ice cream.

I've only been to the Anaheim one and it was a "3 strikes and you're out" type deal for me. I don't waste my money anymore. Ghirardelli is my go to at the parks now. I miss Häagen-Dazs at Downtown Disney.
I totally get the part about companies "trying to hard." This whole IPA trend is an example of that: at lot of those beers taste more like spiked, carbonated Hop Tea than beer to me.

When I lived in England, IPA was an option, but most people chose to drink session ales or a lager like Stella. I never once experienced people buying everyone a round of IPA! Their normal cask ale was so wonderful and balanced: the malt, yeast and hops all contributed to the taste. Why ruin that by so overloading it with Hops so you cannot taste anything else? It's a preservative, basically.

The last scoops I had at Salt and Straw had >50% bread in them. That's just too much to be enjoyable as "ice cream" in my opinion. They took a really interesting idea, with good, quality ingredients, and ruined it by trying to do too much. Just like those triple IPAs are doing to beer.

Salt & Straw is the Sprinkles of tomorrow. It's trendy, new and something different especially for people from smaller metros/towns visiting disney but it's not great ice cream just like sprinkles isn't really that great when it comes to cupcakes. And of course, it's paid for at a premium. There are a few stand outs at Disney Springs when it comes to food and salt & straw for us is not one of them. I'd stop eating there and move on to somewhere else. Chains can be great at one location and not so hot at another, happens all the time but that's far too much money to waste on subpar ice cream.

Sprinkles has been over-rated since their debut. I have never had such consistently underwhelming cupcakes.

I totally get the part about companies "trying to hard." This whole IPA trend is an example of that: at lot of those beers taste more like spiked, carbonated Hop Tea than beer to me.

When I lived in England, IPA was an option, but most people chose to drink session ales or a lager like Stella. I never once experienced people buying everyone a round of IPA! Their normal cask ale was so wonderful and balanced: the malt, yeast and hops all contributed to the taste. Why ruin that by so overloading it with Hops so you cannot taste anything else? It's a preservative, basically.

The last scoops I had at Salt and Straw had >50% bread in them. That's just too much to be enjoyable as "ice cream" in my opinion. They took a really interesting idea, with good, quality ingredients, and ruined it by trying to do too much. Just like those triple IPAs are doing to beer.

IPAs, at best, taste like stinky socks. At worst, they taste like bloody, stinky socks. I don't get the appeal at all. I'm a well balanced pilsner or lager person. Give me a good German Oktoberfest beer and I'm happy.

IPAs, at best, taste like stinky socks. At worst, they taste like bloody, stinky socks. I don't get the appeal at all. I'm a well balanced pilsner or lager person. Give me a good German Oktoberfest beer and I'm happy.
There was this one place in California was doing a "Belgian Wit Beer" with so much hops it tasted like an IPA! What a vile example of totally not understanding the whole concept of something.:mad:

I live in Portland and love Salt and Straws regular flavors, but agree their seasonal flavors are mostly misses. I think they are trying too hard and many of their specials just don't work. I stick to the salted caramel with ganache topping most of the time, that is perfect to me. And I have weird allergies which prevent me from trying to try lots of their other flavors.

I have never eaten at the Disney park ones since I can get it locally. When I am at Disney I get Ghirardelli. I wonder if Salt and Straw just expanded too quickly and they don't have a lot of control of their Disney locations.

Ice cream shouldn't have bread in it.
I think that is a generally true, but Salt and Straw likes to test the boundaries of what is acceptable. I suppose they could have made the ice cream with Parkerhouse rolls or Cornbread stuffing work, but I didn't like how either turned out.

I especially felt that the cornbread stuffing was poorly executed, as the chunks in my scoop were hard and gritty, which is not the correct texture for properly prepared stuffing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter