Salsa recipe for canning?

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a good recipe for salsa for canning? My bff and I want to make some and can it.
TIA!

Does anyone have a good recipe for salsa? My bff and I want to make some and can it.
TIA!

I don't have amounts, but the restaurant I worked with used tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno (greatest to smallest there). Lime juice, and salt to taste and consistency / wateryness (is that a word?). When I've done it, it's usually maybe 3 tomatoes, 1/2 onion (dh doesn't like them too much), handful of cilantro, and one jalapeno. I like lots of salt in mine. It's really about what you like - you have to taste as you mix.

The site National Center for Home Food Preservation has several recipes and tells you the basics of canning, if you have not done it before. I have a recipe but don't have access right now. I have used some other recipes from this site and they came out well. Good luck.

Love this salsa!! Enjoy!! I also made Peach Mango Salsa using with recipe as well. I just used about 10 tomotoes, 2 Mangos, and 6 peaches.

Salsa for Canning
2 sweet red peppers
18-24 tomatoes - (I use Roma)
9-18 jalapeno peppers
2 large green peppers
2 large onions
Let tomatoes drain for one hour.
Dice vegetables and wear gloves for the hot peppers.
Add:
1 cup white vinegar
1 can tomato puree (29 oz.)
2 T cumin
2 T cilantro
1 T garlic powder
6 t salt
Add tomatoes and stir. Put in pan w/vegetables. Cook until it simmers. Simmer until it is
heated all the way through. Put in hot jars and hot water bath for 10 minutes.

I'm not huge onion fan so I only used 1 large onion.

I just made 90 jars of salsa this past weekend :faint: I use it for our family plus as Christmas gifts and such. You have to be very careful about the acidity in the salsa. If you don't have enough acid in the mix the jars will go bad. Also, you don't have to give them a hot water bath (I make pickles and jam as well and you don't have to reheat the jars). Only boil the lids. The 'liquid' you put in the jars is hot enough and the heated lids are hot as well. This is especially helpful to keep pickles from getting soft. Good luck!

Love this salsa!! Enjoy!! I also made Peach Mango Salsa using with recipe as well. I just used about 10 tomotoes, 2 Mangos, and 6 peaches.

Salsa for Canning
2 sweet red peppers
18-24 tomatoes - (I use Roma)
9-18 jalapeno peppers
2 large green peppers
2 large onions
Let tomatoes drain for one hour.
Dice vegetables and wear gloves for the hot peppers.
Add:
1 cup white vinegar
1 can tomato puree (29 oz.)
2 T cumin
2 T cilantro
1 T garlic powder
6 t salt
Add tomatoes and stir. Put in pan w/vegetables. Cook until it simmers. Simmer until it is
heated all the way through. Put in hot jars and hot water bath for 10 minutes.

I'm not huge onion fan so I only used 1 large onion.

My salsa did not turn out hot enough. It ok right out of the pan but after canning and opening it seems to have become very mild.

How many jars does your recipe make? I put my salsa in 1 pint jars...

I just made 90 jars of salsa this past weekend :faint: I use it for our family plus as Christmas gifts and such. You have to be very careful about the acidity in the salsa. If you don't have enough acid in the mix the jars will go bad. Also, you don't have to give them a hot water bath (I make pickles and jam as well and you don't have to reheat the jars). Only boil the lids. The 'liquid' you put in the jars is hot enough and the heated lids are hot as well. This is especially helpful to keep pickles from getting soft. Good luck!

fyi - This method of canning is no longer recommended. Something about the food needs to be heated in the jars to kill the bacteria. My husband and I both are from a long line of canners and can alot every year. We have grandparents' recipes that say to use this method (put the pickles or jam in the jar and turn it upside down to seal), but we do not use it. The jars do seal, and I know people used this method for many years without bad outcomes, but I'm afraid. As another aside - pickling lime will keep cukes and peppers crisp for canning. It does change the acidity level though, so has to be rinsed thoroughly.

Just thought I would mention this for those who are beginning canners. Canning is a science and you need to research to make sure your recipes have the appropriate acid levels and heat.

fyi - This method of canning is no longer recommended. Something about the food needs to be heated in the jars to kill the bacteria. My husband and I both are from a long line of canners and can alot every year. We have grandparents' recipes that say to use this method (put the pickles or jam in the jar and turn it upside down to seal), but we do not use it. The jars do seal, and I know people used this method for many years without bad outcomes, but I'm afraid. As another aside - pickling lime will keep cukes and peppers crisp for canning. It does change the acidity level though, so has to be rinsed thoroughly.

Just thought I would mention this for those who are beginning canners. Canning is a science and you need to research to make sure your recipes have the appropriate acid levels and heat.

I second this. Dh and I have been canning for 21 years. We have canned everything from carrots to chili. You have to be very careful. I tried the inverted jar method for jelly once. I will NEVER try it again. I *thought* it would be fine. They seemed to seal just fine, but I lost every single jar!

Oh, and not all youtube videos are the same either. I've seen some horrific youtube videos on canning. One lady made jam, and didn't even wipe the rims of the jars. She just put on the lids and rings, and dumped the jars in the pot. Literally! She didn't care that they were every which way and not standing up. :eek:

My salsa did not turn out hot enough. It ok right out of the pan but after canning and opening it seems to have become very mild.

How many jars does your recipe make? I put my salsa in 1 pint jars...

I think I got about 5 1/5 quart size jars. I don't care for my salsa to be real hot so I only used 8 jalapenos and it definitely is mild. Sorry that it wasn't hot enough for you.

i have to agree...NOT processing your canned products is a recipe for botulism. You can go to www.pickyourown.org and learn all about canning for beginners.

jeff, i have the same issue...i guess in the future, i will have to make it too hot for me to eat and then it will be ok after it's canned.

jeff, i have the same issue...i guess in the future, i will have to make it too hot for me to eat and then it will be ok after it's canned.

Good to know I am not alone on this one... And just to clarify my previous recipe was NOT bonkos6's so I'm going to try that one as it looks yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter