• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Salad recipes without vinegar or mayo

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for salad recipes without vinegar or mayo.

My family doesn't eat these condiments, and I am getting tired of making a plain tossed salad or just cutting up raw veggies.

Just wondering if there are any recipes out there.

Can't think of any off the top of my head other than those you mentioned in your OP. But check out the recipe threads on the WISH board. There are several with recipes for various types of diets - low carb, Atkins, etc. There might be some ideas there.

Deb

What about the Carrot Orange Jello salad? Shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts, etc in orange jello.

Or this one from AKL:

EGYPTIAN MELANGE SALAD

Yield: 4 servings

1 small Onion, diced
2 each Apples, diced
1 each Tomato, diced
1 small Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 small Cucumber, sliced
2 T. Olive Oil
2 each Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped fine
¼ cup Orange Juice
2 T. Lime Juice
1 t. Honey
To taste Salt and Pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and marinate for at least one hour.

Does your family like bottled salad dressing? Like Ranch or French? We do a Taco Salad that uses French dressing. If you want something like potato salad, what about using Ranch dressing to bind it together? Maybe mixed with yogurt or sour cream?

Here's a veggie one like that:

Veggie Salad

1 pkg bacon cooked and crumbled
1 pkg carrots peeled and diced
1 head broccoli chopped
1 head cauliflower chopped
1 large pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bottle Seven Seas CREAMY Italian salad dressing.

Combine, chill and serve

DS really hates even the smell of vinegar! I've substituted lemon or lime juice in recipes for vinegar - especially if they only call for a small amount. . . like in this one:

Oriental Salad

3 c torn spinach or lettuce
1½ c sliced Chinese cabbage
1 c fresh bean sprouts
¾ c thinly sliced cucumber
¾ c thinly sliced radish
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Dressing:
3 Tbl oil
2 Tbl tamari or soy sauce
1 Tbl rice wine vinegar
½ tsp dark sesame oil
pinch garlic powder

Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl. Combine all dressing ingredients and toss with salad. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Tamari sauce has a different flavor than soy and I would recommend using it if you can find it at your supermarket or oriental grocery.

Or for this one just increase the lemon & lime juices to 3 Tbl & skip the vinegar:

PLANTAIN & CORN SALAD

1 pound Plantain, fried, cut at angle
1 pound Corn Kernels, roasted
1 small Onion, diced
1 small Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 small Jalapeno, diced
1 t. Cilantro, chopped

Dressing
2 T. Lime Juice
2 T. Lemon Juice
2 T. Rice Vinegar
1 t. Ground Coriander, toasted
1 t. Ground Cinnamon, toasted
1 t. Red Crushed Pepper
2 T. Sugar

Make the dressing and set aside.
Cut the plantain and deep fry until ¾ done and set aside.
Mix plantains, dressing, and the rest of the vegetables together. Let marinate for at least one hour.

I made a pasta salad for a BBQ last night that was a hit. If they don't like that salad dressing maybe you can make your own variation.

Pizza Pasta Salad
1 lb. spiral pasta (pretty if it is colors)
1 bottle Italian salad dressing
1 lg. can sliced olives, drained
1 green pepper, chopped or in strips
sliced pepperoni (I used Turkey pepperoni)
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 c. grated mozzarella or provalone
Italian seasoning
1/2 t. minced garlic
(other pizza toppings are optional: mushrooms, onion, etc)

Cook, drain and rinse the pasta until cool. Mix P. cheese, most of the dressing (reserve some for just before serving so it isn't dry), and seasonings. Toss with the pasta. Cut pepperoni slices in quarters and add to the pasta. Add cheese, green peppers, olives and toss. Add the reserved dressing right before serving. My kids thought this was great! Tastes a lot like pizza.

Have you tried making ranch dressing with buttermilk? It's good with sour cream, too. Will they eat those things if you leave out the mayo? Play around with mixes and see if you can find a combination that they would eat. Ignore the instructions and come up with your own ideas.

Yes, there are different ways of eating salad with more natural dressings.

There are some Raw Cashew Dressings Recipes available in rawfood cookbooks which are pretty good, and healthy. Such as "Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people" by Jennifer Cornbleet, One of my favorite books. Because it has some different dressings with Variations to make others.
She has a recipe for Tahini Lemon dressing for a sour kick, and I like using it with Rice and other food too.

Our family also does a mixture of freshly squeezed lemon juice, Organic 3rd cold pressed olive oil, garlic powder, Onion Powder, and a touch of real sea salt. You can also add fresh herbs to this combination to make it more tasty. Usually works good with a mixture of Kale, and Romaine Lettuce mixed with other fresh vegies. Enjoy this with whole spelt bread. Yum.

We don't do vinegary dressings (except a little bit of balsamic now and again). Try mixing equal parts olive oil, lemon juice and cranberry sauce/jelly (the stuff in a jar that you can spoon) - I've used this with a rocket-based salad to serve with warm goats cheese, pear and walnut as a starter:thumbsup2

Oh my goodness--these all sound fantastic! I know that my family loves the oriental salad :) YUM

MazdaUK, what is a rocket based salad.

Your recipe sounds terrific. I love cheese, pears, and walnuts.

Linda made an awesome cranberry salad for Easter. I'll pull out the recipe and post.

Its just a salad of mixed leaves which includes rocket (you might also know it as roquette;) ) simply because rocket and goats'cheese work so well together:goodvibes but any green leaves you like will do - watercress and baby spinach would be a good alternative:thumbsup2

What about the Carrot Orange Jello salad? Shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts, etc in orange jello.

Or this one from AKL:

EGYPTIAN MELANGE SALAD

1 small Onion, diced
2 each Apples, diced
1 each Tomato, diced
1 small Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 small Cucumber, sliced
2 T. Olive Oil
2 each Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped fine
¼ cup Orange Juice
2 T. Lime Juice
1 t. Honey
To taste Salt and Pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and marinate for at least one hour.

OMG this sounds sooo good! I'm going to try it out this weekend for sure!

the DH does not like vinegar so he uses lemon juice instead (rarely uses oil, just the lemon juice); you can use it place of vinegar in any dressing recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter