Sailing with peanut allergy

MamaOfTwoPrincesses

MNSSHP October 2008
Any tips for sailing with dd 11's peanut allergy? We've done very well at WDW with her allergy, and I assume that the cruise will prove no different. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Any tips for sailing with dd 11's peanut allergy? We've done very well at WDW with her allergy, and I assume that the cruise will prove no different. Thanks!

Call DCL and give them a head's up. They are quite accomodating for allergies, but they need to know ahead of time for supplying the ship.

:cutie:

DS is allergic to tree nuts. We told our waiter and the head waiter this on the first night of our cruise. They were AWESOME!!!!! They checked to make sure there were no tree nuts/nuts in everything he ordered before they brought it to him. It sometimes delayed what he ordered but it was worth the wait. They brought him a special dessert each night. He loved it! I could not have asked for better care for my son and his allergies.

Head Waiter - Celo from Turkey
Waiter - Dipo from Indonesia
Asst. Waiter - Hervey from St. Lucia

Disney Fantasy

I have a peanut allergy and sailed with no problems. I was very careful about what I ordered but I noticed that not very many items had peanuts. I also let my server know but I didn't have any problems. Happy sailing. :thumbsup2

MamaOfTwoPrincesses said:

Out DD has a peanut allergy as well. When you go to the buffet, ask one of the attendants at the front of the line to get a chef to discuss a peanut allergy. You may have to wait a few mins but when he comes, he'll walk you down the line and let you know if anything should be avoided (in most cases it will be something on the dessert table you'll have to avoid). Anything they're not certain of, they'll call down tothe kitchen or ship's stores. Stores keeps an ingredient label from everything that is brought on board so they can quickly check. The only food we came across that they could not confirm peanut free was the doughnuts at breakfast. The Krispy Kreme box did not have an ingredients list so we were told because they weren't sure we should avoid them. FYI, at last check Krispy Kreme does not use peanuts on their lines, but like anything, you should check just incase something has changed.
Also, if you didn't mention at the time you booked, let the kids club know as well. They will issue a second, coloured bracelet so all the CMs in the kids clubs will instantly know about the allergy. We brought an extra epi pen which we dropped off in the club whenever DD was there. They have a special location where they keep them all so if something should happen, they know exactly where it is.

Yep, DS and I both have peanut allergies, and found everyone to be very (if not too) helpful! ;) we noted it on our reservation before hand, and every restaurant we went to (including sit down breakfasts and lunches) the servers came to us already knowing.

Our main server also had us order our meals for the next dinner, the night before. Apparently they cooked our food in a separate area. Don't worry, everyone will be very helpful!

Also, DS only went to the nursery once, but they immediately asked me if he had an epi pen, and gave him a special sticker.

I whole heartdly support that Disney Cruise is awesome in regard to special needs/ diets/ allergies. I need to severly limit my salt especially on a cruise where around salt water so it is in the air as well. As stated above the head waiter starting the first night came over and had me order what I wanted for the next night off the next nights menu. They then specially prepared all the dishes without salt for me. Even on the first night the waiter was very good at helping me to pick out the lowest salt items on the menu and told me what I shouldnt have (was getting a salad that came with goat cheese which i was planning to tell him i wanted left off but before i could say it he told me I coudlnt have it)

We have sailed DCL 3 times with our severely allergic DD (now 23) and have vacationed at WDW too many times to count. We always follow the protocol of informing them of her needs before we travel and have never had an issue anywhere on property or on the Magic. However, our last cruise this summer on the Fantasy, she had a reaction at dinner on Pirate Night. They rushed her to the Health Center right away (followed closely by a cast of many from the dining room) and were able to treat her right away. Apparently, there has been an issue with the cornbread SOMETIMES containing nuts. The head of the dining room told us that there had been isses with it in the past and the chef had been told to remove the nuts, which he apparently did for a while. Don't know if it was a new chef or what that night, but do not trust the cornbread! The Health Center handled the situation beautifully - one of the RNs there told us that have several hundred Epi pens on board (so they didn't use ours). Fortunately, she realized within a few minutes of eating it that something wasn't right or it could have been much, much worse.

We sailed on the Disney Dream in 2011 with our peanut allergic boy. We were extremely happy with Disney and the way they handled his allergy!
We flagged the allergy with them on our reservation. The chefs walked us through any buffet lines and told us what to eat. Our head server was fantastic and pre-ordered my sons meals for the next night. He also planned a peanut free lunch to be ready for my son on Castaway Cay, all I had to do was walk up and give them our cabin number. One night he asked my indecisive child what he wanted for dessert, my son who is not use to being able to choose had no idea what to say. So the waiter said they would make him a special chocolate dessert. I swear the next night everyone wanted my son's special chocolate dessert since it looked so good!
One thing I didn't know was that they will also pack you a peanut free lunch if you book shore excursions through them that include a lunch. I will see if I can do this on our next cruise!

Disney imo excels at dining and any dietary restrictions. Part of which made our cruise a worry free vacation!:banana:

My daughter is allergic to cinnamon. We gave up breakfast buffets years ago because there's too much contamination , both by guests switching tongs and in the kitchen since it's so fine and goes airborne when baking. At WDW buffets, they always just bring her a special sundae because they can't guarantee that any of the desserts are safe.

I usually don't even mention my fish allergy because of course I'm not going to order anything with fish in it, and I do my best to avoid restaurants that even serve fish when possible, but I think I'll note it on the ship since I keep reading about all the seafood dishes they serve. I don't want my chicken breast cooked anywhere near somebody else's salmon!

The new ships have a special "allergy kitchen" where all allergy meals are prepared; the old ships have a special area for allergy prep. It is just another way of reminding all the CMs of the importance of this issue. DCL handles allergies wonderfully. If you want to do the buffets, as above, a chef or head server will walk the line with you. Many times you can indicate what you want and they will get you a serving from a fresh container in the back to avoid any possibility of cross contamination!

My husband has an avacado allergy and DCL was great they took our entire tables order the day before cause my husband likes to eat off everyone's plate. Everywhere we went to eat Palo, Remys, lunch or breakfast sit down and the MDRs were great. Everywhere else we just watched to make sure we weren't getting any food with avacado in it or on the buffet near it.

MamaOfTwoPrincesses said:

We just arrived home from seven days on the Fantasy. My DS has life threatening food allergies to both peanuts and sesame. They are every bit as diligent on the ship as they are in the parks. My only regret is that I didn't book a Disney cruise sooner!! My TA told me if yard going to cruise with food allergies, you have to go Disney!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter