Sailing 8/25. Do they cancel if a cat 1 hurricane is in the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read through various years of "what if's" and "this is what happened to us" scenarios, for those of us sailing on the Disney Dream on 8/25 we may see 3 "at sea days" or a redirect to Key West for a day in port.

The Fantasy won't be going to Key West according to reports due to the port not being able to accomodate the ship's size. :confused3 If that is true, then that wouldn't work for the Dream either.

Local news in Orlando is stating Irene will grow to be a Cat 4 with 135 winds by Thursday.

The safe bet would be to go to Tampa.

Tampa wouldn't be an option, unfortunately. The Dream is too big to fit under the Skyway Bridge...I'm not even sure the Wonder or Magic would fit.

The local 11:00 news in Tampa just predicted Irene to be a Cat 4 when she passes over the Bahamas...scary stuff.

ugh... i can't sleep.. does anyone think that flying into Florida Wednesday evening (7:10pm) will be an issue? im debating if i should look into an earlier flight... :confused::sad2::

ugh... i can't sleep.. does anyone think that flying into Florida Wednesday evening (7:10pm) will be an issue? im debating if i should look into an earlier flight... :confused::sad2::

I think Wednesday evening should be ok. The weather guy here in Tampa said we should start feeling some impact on Thursday. Tampa is about 80 miles west of Orlando, so worst case you can always try to fly into Tampa since we are a little further from the storm.

Our first DCL cruise was in September, 2004, the year that the Hurricanes just 'loved' Florida. The 2 weeks before ours were a mess of CC evacuation, itinerary changes, port of debarkation changes, (due to no ports open in Florida), one lengthened cruise (no ports open in Florida-imagine 20 or so cruise ships literally with no place to go) and the one just before us shortened to get the ship back on schedule.
I was going crazy! But thanks to all my fellow DIS'rs I was able to get up to the minute info about where and when we were leaving from. We were on the Magic, the first cruise leaving again out of PC. And the first back to enjoy CC (despite the decimated vegetation) after the storms.:woohoo:
Our Western Caribbean did become a semi Eastern.

Good luck to all of you and Happy Cruising!:)

I was on this same cruise! Until this year, we have always cruised in September and usually with hurricanes all around us (the price was always right). We loved every trip, no matter where we were!

Princessheather...Iwould definately ck with the airline. They move the planes well ahead of the storm weather. We are now talking cat4 which still will impact Fla with very high winds and rain. Better to be early than not make it.

Local news here(ft laud) already talking about flights, tying your boats,expecting high surf, 40-60 winds,rain... so the advise here is to ck,I am sure it is the same for most of Fla airports.

I was on the Magic's Hurricane Frances cruise. We hung out in the Gulf of Mexico far away from the storm and had great weather while she was pounding the coast. We got three extra nights on board. In my opinion those on board are getting extra nights too. I can not see Disney putting the ship or passengers anywhere near harms way. Those who had a 7 night after us had a choice to cancel without penalty or sail on the shortened cruise with several extra incentives and a partial refund.

We heard announcements everyday from Captain Tom and Brent regarding itinerary changes. Fortunately we did get to go to Castaway, our first day, before it was damaged in the storm.

We'll be thinking of you all.

Shannon, don't you remember back on the 2008 EBPC when there were 3 named storms out there on our way back to FL? As far as we were concerned on the ship, the weather was beautiful. :) Hoping these cruises are just as great for you! At least if the ship has to change ports between your two cruises, you won't have to worry about getting back to PC. ;)
i do remember the storms in 2008....and i remember freaking...but it ended up being beautiful weather. i really do hope the same for these cruises!!
and it does'nt seem like b2b'ers get much "alone" time on the ship in between cruises anymore...but if there is a change in ports, then that could prove to be interesting for us!!
I am starting to think we need to make some "I survived Irene" t-shirts for the cruise. Any takers?
haha!! funny idea!! we'd wear them!!
From what I've read through various years of "what if's" and "this is what happened to us" scenarios, for those of us sailing on the Disney Dream on 8/25 we may see 3 "at sea days" or a redirect to Key West for a day in port. I would imaging that the cast at Castaway Cay has been/ is being evacuated given the upgrade and expected strength of Irene when it hits so in turn I can't see it being ready for visitors this coming weekend anyway, even so, I would expect damage from the storm itself making it not port friendly on the 27th. Cruising during hurricane season is a gamble expecially in August but we rolled the dice for the price! Now 8/25 Disney Dreamers....lets stay positive and get on the ship!!!! From there we are on vacation no matter where we go! :goodvibes

By the way, Disney Dreamers, any of you have kids between 9-13 sailing with you? Our 9 and to be 13 on Saturday boys will be with us.

we will have our 8 1/2 and 13 1/2 yr old boys onboard with us. are you on the meet thread?

The Fantasy won't be going to Key West according to reports due to the port not being able to accomodate the ship's size. :confused3 If that is true, then that wouldn't work for the Dream either.

They could always tender into key west if needed :confused3

We are here in WDW now, and I am starting to wonder if I should be booking some backup accommodation in case we don't get on the cruise on Thursday. Cruise cancelled is disappointing, but ending up homeless doesn't bear thinking about :(

We are here in WDW now, and I am starting to wonder if I should be booking some backup accommodation in case we don't get on the cruise on Thursday. Cruise cancelled is disappointing, but ending up homeless doesn't bear thinking about :(

Chill Bev, chill.

There's more than enough rooms in Orlando to ensure you'll have somewhere to sleep.

If the storm is bearing down and the cruise is not cancelled, there will be hundreds of folks who don't make it to port......this happened to me several years ago when our cruise was diverted to Mexico instead of Nassau/CC.....well they were offering even cheaper than normal port upgrades.....also cool was how the Captain made like a bat out of he$% down the Florida coast to avert the weather...I have been on the Wonder several times since and never has it moved so swiftly! quite an adventure....and extra days of cruising...!...we came back to the Port of Everglades...then we took a bus and spent a free night at WDW Riverside...went to Epcot and the place was like a ghost town...no lines!..

also, car was covered in ants back at the port as they (by instinct I guess) escaped the storm by moving into my car...

one other funny aside..my retired Dad who hunts..already had leftover bullets and a big knife confiscated from his luggage...had some issues getting his stuff back since the Port was closed for the day from the storm....BTY when they found the stuff on the embarkation day in his check in bags...they called his name on the loudspeaker on deck and made him come down and explain himself! My Mom pretended not to know him....he has not cruised again as DCL infringed on his liberties..

one other funny aside..my retired Dad who hunts..already had leftover bullets and a big knife confiscated from his luggage...had some issues getting his stuff back since the Port was closed for the day from the storm....BTY when they found the stuff on the embarkation day in his check in bags...they called his name on the loudspeaker on deck and made him come down and explain himself! My Mom pretended not to know him....he has not cruised again as DCL infringed on his liberties..

funny story for someone whose DisBoard name is AX Father!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

today the Dream should be in CC. I am guessing they evacuate the staff today. We shall soon find out.

Fingers crossed everything 'blows over' quickly as I am supposed to board the Dream on Sunday.

They could always tender into key west if needed :confused3

I didn't know that there were tenders available in KW. That would work then. :) I guess DCL just doesn't want to hassle with that on a regular basis for the Fantasy since it is only a half day port normally.

Chill Bev, chill.

There's more than enough rooms in Orlando to ensure you'll have somewhere to sleep.

Obviously you don't live here. There aren't enough rooms if the coast of FL (and it's a lengthy one) start to evacuate due to a hurricane. If no evacuation (forced or voluntary) happens, then yes you will be fine.

It's looking like it will skirt us anyway. None of the locals will evac for that.

Just woke up and went straight to weather.com for updates. I have a million potential scenarios in my head - maybe we could skirt down the coast quickly and hang out off the Keys or in the Gulf? I'm totally a planner so not knowing is driving me crazy! I don't want them to make any rash decisions though and I know they'll do what's best for all of us. Sigh...I probably should have skipped the coffee this morning; it's only winding me up more!

Soooo... just talked to lyn on the concierge team. As of right now we are still sailing and there are no itinerary changes. Disney is having a meeting at 12pm est. Lyn said at that point they will be deciding
A) if it will be canceled
B) if we will have an itinerary change
C) if they do decide to sail will they allow passengers to cancel or change dates without incurring any cancellation or date change fees.

She told me to call back at about 1pm to find out what they decided. Hope I can get through.

this happened to me several years ago when our cruise was diverted to Mexico instead of Nassau/CC.....well they were offering even cheaper than normal port upgrades.....also cool was how the Captain made like a bat out of he$% down the Florida coast to avert the weather...I have been on the Wonder several times since and never has it moved so swiftly! quite an adventure....and extra days of cruising...!...we came back to the Port of Everglades...then we took a bus and spent a free night at WDW Riverside...went to Epcot and the place was like a ghost town...no lines!..

I remember when we were outrunning Frances we hit 25-30 knots on the Magic. The first time we took a four night Bahama cruise we remarked how dang slow the ships went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter