SAHM resume questions

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
DS5 will be heading to Kindergarten this August :sad1: and I'll need to get a job.

I'm lucky that I've been home with my boys for almost 9 years, but that leaves my resume looking awful.

I have had some "side jobs", and I need to know how to list them.

I worked for a friend at a kiosk in the mall for a Christmas season selling her candles. This was mostly a weekend job. Her kiosk/store is no longer in business, it just lasted one season, 3 years ago.

I worked the last 2 years but very infrequently at a company when they needed help with their data entry. A friend of mine got me that position. When they got backed up they called me in, but it was only about 2times a year for only a few hours a week. I was not on that companys payroll, they would just pay me out of their budget money. I did ask and they said they'd be happy to have me use them for a reference. I'm just not sure how to list that, since it's definately not full-time/or part-time.

I hold an office at my older son's school in the PTO, and I volunteer at the school weekly. Can that be listed under "Jobs"?

I did have a "real job" in a professional environment before DS8 was born, and I worked there for 8 years. It's been almost 9 years since I was there....is that too long to put on a resume?

I'm so lost. So sad I have to be looking for a job but financially I really need to. DH jokes, it'll be nice to have some extra money once in awhile and not live paycheck to paycheck.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks

It seems to me that most employers have a clue regarding SAHMs. It isn't as though you were in prison for those 9 years. I would just be honest, and put your best foot forward.

DS5 will be heading to Kindergarten this August :sad1: and I'll need to get a job.

I'm lucky that I've been home with my boys for almost 9 years, but that leaves my resume looking awful.

I have had some "side jobs", and I need to know how to list them.

I worked for a friend at a kiosk in the mall for a Christmas season selling her candles. This was mostly a weekend job. Her kiosk/store is no longer in business, it just lasted one season, 3 years ago.

I worked the last 2 years but very infrequently at a company when they needed help with their data entry. A friend of mine got me that position. When they got backed up they called me in, but it was only about 2times a year for only a few hours a week. I was not on that companys payroll, they would just pay me out of their budget money. I did ask and they said they'd be happy to have me use them for a reference. I'm just not sure how to list that, since it's definately not full-time/or part-time.

I hold an office at my older son's school in the PTO, and I volunteer at the school weekly. Can that be listed under "Jobs"?

I did have a "real job" in a professional environment before DS8 was born, and I worked there for 8 years. It's been almost 9 years since I was there....is that too long to put on a resume?

I'm so lost. So sad I have to be looking for a job but financially I really need to. DH jokes, it'll be nice to have some extra money once in awhile and not live paycheck to paycheck.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks

No help,but just wanted to say I am going through the exact same thing right now. I quit working and college in 2004 to care for my mother who was terminally ill. I had plans to go back after her death when I found out I was pregnant. I have been a SAHM since then. I have been looking and looking and with such a big lapse in outside work experience(no one wants to hear that SAHM's bust their butts!) it is so hard to be taken seriously.

I was off for five years as a SAHM before going back to work. I did list my last jobs even though they were over five years old and I also listed that I was involved with the PTO, Scouts, etc. Not under jobs, just a brief paragraph at the bottom of my resume (like as volunteering). Not sure if it was appropriate or not but I did get the job I applied for.

I know it's a little scary starting over again and I wish you the best of luck. :)

This is your friend, right? You could extend the amount of time you worked there. I'd list it as "Customer Service" or "Sales" depending on the kind of work I was seeking.
"Data Entry" and "as needed".
Nope, but it can be listed under "Volunteer" stuff.
Hell no, it isn't "too long." It was a job. You had it. You list it. And if you still know anyone there, call them up and ask them if they'll be a reference. People do it all the time.

You weren't working because you were busy raising kids. No need to hide that. Don't get dodgy about it, don't try to "spin" it. People understand. You raised kids and you took little side jobs here and there to make a little dough. They'll get it.

The thing I'd stress is that you are 100% ready to work and have a sitter (and back-up sitter if you have that).

Good luck!!

List your Volunteer work in it's own catagory and try to tailor your description of what you did to the job you are applying for. I am also a SAHM and I try to keep track of all that I do in my capacity as a volunteer. For instance Planning and Implementing events, developing and working within a budget, raising money, selling items, Leadership Training classes, coordination of committee members, different demographics that I work with, training or classes I have developed or led etc...

With the exception of the 2 years I was off my feet with my health issues I have been more busy not working than I was when I worked!

The fact that you have had and maintained a volunteer position shows that you are dedicated, you follow through, can commit to a project and follow through on commitments. Many volunteer positions are very comperable to paid positions. Don't hesitate to list a PTA president or someone else you have worked with in that capacity as a reference. As others said they are mostly looking to see that you weren't in prison the last 9 years. The fact that you can show you have kept up work skills by working and volunteering is a plus. You should be fine!

Good luck! :)

I don't know if this is much help, but I did re-enter the workforce after being a SAHM for 6 years. During that time I had done a little of this and a little of that.

I have a self-employed category on my resume to fill in that 6 year gap. Under that I put a bullet point list of what I did during that time. Example:

2000 - 2006, Self employed, Some City, New York
* Handled outsource document preparation for a boutique law firm
* In charge of calendar for busy entreprenuer

Not sure adding your volunteer work would get more than a passing glance and I, personally, would fear it made me look too busy with my family. I know it's totally wrong, but working with HR for several years, that is how many large firms look at it when hiring one of "those moms". I'd just keep the resume strictly business unless you serve that PTO by doing something related to your job skills and the needs of the job you are applying for.

Good luck to you!

I am the same way and I just put all my old work experience down and didnt put the dates worked, just how long I worked there.

If I get an interview and they ask about it, I will let them know about being out of the loop for so long.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm just having a heck of a time putting down the data entry "job" on the resume.

If I put from 2005-2009 as time employed, it looks like I worked there for 4 years. When in reality I just worked there about 2 months out of each year, at various times.

How does this look?

2005-2009 as needed

Also think about a different kind of resume. Instead of the generic listings with your history include a skills summary of everything that makes you employable including computer skills, people skills, managing money, sales skills, customer service and whatever else you have. Try to come up with 10 skills.

When listing your volunteer history you can list it as community involvement. If your held positions have job descriptions, list 3-5 things from each position.

I'm going through something similar with my own resume. I've held positions at one point every year working with the army but my last professional salaried position was over 3 years ago. Try to list everything that can be eye catching and look impressive/employable.

Microsoft office online has several templates you can use. I'm working off of something similar to this one right now:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC103625701033.aspx?pid=CT103622221033

As someone who has hired a number of former SAHM's a 9 year gap wouldn't bother me. I'd do the resume something like this:

Professional Experience: (Start with that job from 9 years ago, and then put your previous jobs going back in chronological order from there).

Education/Credentials:

Other Experience: volunteering, part time work etc . .

That way everything is covered, but whoever is screening the resumes sees the important stuff first.

I wouldn't comment on the gap in coverage in the resume itself, but I'd say something in the cover letter about returning to the work force after spending time at home with your children.

Then in the interview I'd be very cautious about what I said. If they ask you why you're returning to work simply say that you're ready to return, and that you're looking forward to the challenge of full time work. If you're returning due to money don't say it. If you're having any concerns about your kids readiness to be left don't bring them up -- save those conversations for your spouse. Also, PLEASE don't tell me (or whoever is interviewing you) that your spouse decided that it's time for you to come back to work! If you need specific accomodations (e.g. snow days off, an employer who doesn't make you travel, the ability to take a phone call every day at 4:00 to make sure your kids get off the bus) the time to ask is AFTER you have a job offer -- NOT before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter