Sagging Mattresses???!!!

Eric Julie and Hailey

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I just read the thread on the LACK of improvements to the staterooms during dry dock. All of the sudden, there are a number of posts about sagging mattresses. What's up with THAT? I can handle nicks and dents on furniture - but, an uncomfortable bed for 7 days will NOT make me happy - especially with my bad back. :eek:

In 2006, we sailed in a Cat. 3 that had an AWESOME queen bed. In 2001, we sailed in a cat. 7 with a comfortable bed, too. Is that a thing of the past? I honestly would have not booked the cruise had I read that this was becoming a problem.

Can anyone report POSITIVE bed experiences within the last few sailings? (I mean, regarding the mattresses! :rolleyes1 )

All of the sudden, that "I can't wait" feeling is starting to become "I hope we didn't make a huge mistake" feeling.

On the WBPC repo I was waking up every night with a bad headache. Thinking that it was because of the pillow I finally asked our stateroom host if he could find me a flatter one. I was suprised when DH told me that they also changed the mattress. He saw it in the hall and said it was in really bad shape. So I suggest that if you are uncomfortable that you ask for a new mattress. Just don't wait for a week like I did.

We had 2 Cat 8 cabins on the Sept 1st Magic sailing...the bed in one cabin was fine, the other one you could definitely feel the sagging on the 2 sides (could feel where the 2 beds "come together" in the middle). I could not have slept on that bed.

On the EB Repo 15 day cruise in our room they tried putting a board under the matttresses to firm them up.
Still was not as comfy as DCL usually is and DH said his back hurt.
If your's is bad tell them you right off the bat want another set of mattresses!:thumbsup2
We settled for the board because we figured "It's going in dry dock". But looking back we should not have put up with a bad bed for the high amount of money we were paying.
We always have loved the beds (except for this cruise).

On the WBPC repo I was waking up every night with a bad headache. Thinking that it was because of the pillow I finally asked our stateroom host if he could find me a flatter one. I was suprised when DH told me that they also changed the mattress. He saw it in the hall and said it was in really bad shape. So I suggest that if you are uncomfortable that you ask for a new mattress. Just don't wait for a week like I did.

Hi Ragdoll! How are you? Have you heard from grumpy gramps or any of us from the september 29 2007 group?? How's your daughter and your granddaughters? We're planning to cruise in 2010 hopefully to the Med. What about you??

I think alot of people set their hopes too high for the Magic drydock. Most of the things I see being criticized were not promised by Disney during drydock. Prior to drydock, I didn't see many complaints of the Magic.

I am very scared for our upcoming cruise and I cannot believe that I am considering cancelling. I expect so much more from Disney.
:scared:

Oh, come on now!!!! These cruises are fully booked all the time! If the beds are that bad in every cabin, don't you think Disney would have trouble booking their cruises? By the way, 9/1/08 5 night Special cruise, Room 5642 --the bed was fine, and so was the cabin.

I am very scared for our upcoming cruise and I cannot believe that I am considering cancelling. I expect so much more from Disney.
:scared:

Don't cancel! Disney is great and they are amazing at fixing things when they make a mistake. They are working so hard at getting the Magic ready to go and back to her full glory. My preference is still the Wonder, but the Magic is special too.

We were on the WB Repo in May - no problem with the bed at all. I also remember when we asked the question about dry dock during one of the Q & A sessions, we were told that it was mostly to update the mechanics, it was not scheduled to be a rennovation of the inside - except for a couple of things. It definitely was not communicated as a renovation dry dock for the staterooms.

The nice thing is that there is always the option to get another mattress because they switch them out all the time based on room configurations.

I have to agree with the others who say don't wait til the end to say anything about anything in your room that's a bit off. We sailed on the Wonder in April and had tepid water in the shower for three days. Hot water in both sinks, but the shower was just warm. Well, I didn't say anything about it, but I mentioned it on our comment card that I dropped off around 8 p.m. on the last night in the box by Guest Services. DS#2 and I went to the last show, and when we came back to our stateroom, DS#1 and DH told us they had a surprise for us -- we had HOT WATER in the shower. I asked what happened and DS#1 said he went to get his bath and when he turned on the water as usual, there was a big splutter and spurt and a ton of sand came out and then hot water! Golly - if I'd called or asked earlier in the cruise, we would've had hot showers all week.

We sailed on the EB repo in August. Our bed in 7576 was very comfortable! Maybe it's just what you are used too.

Oh, come on now!!!! These cruises are fully booked all the time! If the beds are that bad in every cabin, don't you think Disney would have trouble booking their cruises? By the way, 9/1/08 5 night Special cruise, Room 5642 --the bed was fine, and so was the cabin.

:confused: The cruises are NOT fully booked all the time.
I looked up cruises in Oct on the DCL site and except for the Magic's Halloween Cruise there are openings in all most all cats 5-12. NOT GOOD for DCL!

On the EB repo 5502's bed was great. :) The only issue I had with sleeping was DH's snoring the first few nights. I always look forward to sleeping on the ship because it is the only place other than our home where I don't wake up with a backache.

I knew that some of the mattresses needed replacing, and I had assumed it would happen during drydock. On the EB repo we were in 6050 and the mattresses were great, but on the 5 night special cruise following it we had to move down the hall to 6108 and the mattress was sagging pretty badly. I noted it on the comment card, but had assumed that they were taking care of this routinely in dry dock.

What I have learned from this thread is to call and complain (nicely) if the mattress is not good, since they apparently are capable of replacing them during the cruise, not just during a drydock.

i was in room 7067 on the aug repo the bed needed to be replace it was sagging pretty bad. i figured it would of been replace during drydock. the beds are only 10 years old and a couple months why are they so bad? did they buy cheap beds?

i was in room 7067 on the aug repo the bed needed to be replace it was sagging pretty bad. i figured it would of been replace during drydock. the beds are only 10 years old and a couple months why are they so bad? did they buy cheap beds?

Call me crazy, but I think most hotel-type establishments have to change their mattresses more often that what you consider to be the norm for a mattress in your house! I don't think that means they bought "cheap beds". Think of all the luggage that's been thrown on those mattresses, the kids who've been jumping on them with great abandon, people of all heights, weights, and sleeping habits, and maybe some more vigorous.....activity....on a more frequent basis than most beds in homes experience on a routine 365 day cycle! I've had horrible mattresses at Hiltons, Best Westerns, and even one at the Ritz - I've found that if you point it out, they'll normally replace it pretty quickly. I don't see DCL as being any different since there is a "hotel operation" going on.

Also - it's been interesting on these post-drydock threads to see so many complaints about improvements not made that were "promised". Out of genuine curiosity, where were they promised? There was a ton of speculation on these boards about what was going to happen in drydock - reports of rumors from the ship, statements from people who "heard X, Y, or Z from a CM", and lots of wishes about what was hoped for - so I have to wonder if these "promised improvements" were really that, or if a lot of people made a lot of assumptions about what was going to be done based on these pre-drydock threads?

I thought I heard somewhere (not sure where) that they replaced all the mattress last dry dock (2005) and they were new serta mattresses. Does anyone else remember this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter