Safety

Cjtigger

Mouseketeer
I have read many threads on this forum that talk about safety in port and how your stuff isn't safe while on CC. is this the case? Do I really need to worry about my stuff going missing? Do I need to get a locking bag for when I am snorkeling?

Well, if people steal stuff out of FEs right on the ship, I'm guessing those same people might steal your things at CC. I have no idea about statistics or specifics though. I have heard anecdotally about peopled stealing or attempting to steal things on the ships.

Skewed Vision - I MUST BE THE LUCKIEST MAN IN THE WORLD!!!

Admittedly, reading the DIS Boards can give one a "not so realistic" view of DCL if you read too much into the comments. I and the overwhelming majority of DCL cruisers have never had any issues with theft on CC. We are a normal family and do normal things one would do on a beach excursion. We take only what's necessary for beach fun and never leave any valuables (camera) in plain view. I do not own a locking bag and would never restrict my family fun by assigning a watchdog. We live on the East Coast in a beach town and also have lived in San Diego and Hawaii. CC is a controlled access environment. It has no escape routes, etc. I will take my chances there than Virginia Beach, San Diego or Hawaii. I'm sure there are dishonest people among the cruisers but I would say they are few and I refuse to let them change my habits. If they want to steal my $250 camera...FINE!!! but you will not ruin my $5000 vacation because of it.

Relax. Reading things on DIS will make you think...everyone does Fish Extenders (more opt out than in) ...you have to book Palo online very early (I have always gotten reservations onboard after cancellations and such) ...you have to book an early arrival or you won't get onboard until 4pm (I have scheduled at my leisure and have never boarded later than 12:30pm) ...a cabana is essential (there are thousands onboard who manage to have fun without) ...pool chairs are at a premium (HA! over stated problem, you will find a chair if you are patient.

I must be the luckiest man in the world because I never have these issues. Or is it my attitude towards issues?

Last edited:
I think people forget that they are on vacation and that crime takes place everywhere. This is why I don't understand putting all the names on stateroom doors. Just because it is Disney doesn't mean that there aren't people with criminal intent onboard.

In many visits, we haven't lost a thing or heard anyone talking about losing anything. That said, a number of folks posting here seem to have a higher comfort level with something like the Kyss locking bag. If it makes your day less stressful, then it's money well spent.

and my thought, although its worth nothing, is that while I don't go insane over protecting my items I also do not leave an opportunity open for my items to be taken. it may not happen often but it does happen. ask yourself if you would leave your item alone in a mall with 4000 strangers walking around. some are going to argue there is a huge difference but there really isn't. no one checks if you are carrying your camera or someone else's on or off the ship. no one knows if that is your captain mickey toy or not. no one checks to make sure that is your $100 and not something you have 'picked' up along the way.
my point is feel comfortable but not so comfortable that you leave yourself open to loss. even just throwing a towel over your things will help. out of site, out of mind.
again, jmo.

I think it mostly (not entirely) comes down to using common sense and not providing too much opportunity. Did I take my nice camera to CC? Yes. Did I leave it laying about on a beach chair? Heck no! It was in my beach bag, at the bottom, underneath a bunch of unimportant-looking stuff. Was it maybe riskier than having it in a locked bag? Perhaps, but I think it was worth the risk, which I feel with proper precautions, was fairly minimal.

As a deterrent, I put DH's sweaty shirt from CC 5k on the top of our beach bag. Anyone that would brave that stinky disaster probably deserves the camera! :rotfl2:

I won't take my nice camera on CC, just my waterproof one. I bought a waterproof, watertight pouch to wear on my neck during beach excursions. I put my ID, my passport card, and money in it. If someone wants to steal the beach towel or the sand toy that I left unattended, fine.

Over our 12 cruises, we've never worried about our stuff while on CC. We don't leave expensive stuff out where anybody can easily see it, but we don't make any special effort to secure it other than to put it in our beach bag. Of course, we are seldom far away and easily keep an eye on our stuff.

We live on the outskirts of a large city in Northern England and adopt the same attitude when on the DCL that we do when at home........common sense! So far it's worked so fingers crossed that it'll continue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter