Safety Tats

theEncode

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used those Safety Tats available online? They are the temporary tattoos that you can get customized with various info on them. My DD (6) tends to run ahead of us when she gets excited and while we have told her she cannot do this in Disney, we are still concerned. :confused3

My questions for you all are...Are they worth it? How long do they really last? And finally, where on the kiddo do you put it?

THanks!

Has anyone used those Safety Tats available online? They are the temporary tattoos that you can get customized with various info on them. My DD (6) tends to run ahead of us when she gets excited and while we have told her she cannot do this in Disney, we are still concerned. :confused3

My questions for you all are...Are they worth it? How long do they really last? And finally, where on the kiddo do you put it?

THanks!

Love Safety Tats! We have used them on our last 2 trips. They last about 3-5 days, but I never had one come off before replacing, it just faded. We place them on the inside forearm. Definitely worth the $20, for my piece of mind alone!

Love Safety Tats! We have used them on our last 2 trips. They last about 3-5 days, but I never had one come off before replacing, it just faded. We place them on the inside forearm. Definitely worth the $20, for my piece of mind alone!

Thanks! That is what I was thinking, more for piece of mind than anything else.

We use Safety Tats every trip! We did not purchase the custom tats, but we use the ones you write your numbers on with a marker (included). They normally last the entire trip with no fading. Sometimes they start to peel around the edges a little, but that's about it. I would just be careful about applying suncreen directly on the tat, it might cause it to smudge or fade.

Just curious... what makes Safety Tats any better than just writing on the kid with an ordinary (waterproof, permanent) Sharpie?

Also, though I'm sure this doesn't need repeating, always make sure to teach your child how to identify a CM, and remind them several times during the day. Play "spot the CM". Tell your child that if ever they can't find you, they should walk straight up to the nearest CM and tell them. Practice by having them walk up and say hi to a random CM, just for fun.

And finally, tat or no tat, by six every child should be able to recite her full name, home address, phone number and the full names of both her parents. If possible before you leave, try to teach her your cell phone number, too.

We use Safety Tats too. I think they are totally worth the cost. I am on my third Disney trip with the same batch that I bought initially. I only use about 3 tats per trip. They last on average 3 days depending on the sweating and swimming.

What makes them better is that they are attached to the child (Not like a tag or something the child can take off). I wouldn't ever write directly on her skin or clothing. Plus, my DD loves temp tattoos and these have a little design (DDs has butterflies) as well as phone numbers. She doesn't give me an issue with wearing it.

We looked at all the options and went with roadid bracelets. Look very nice and my DD was excited to wear it.

I wouldn't ever write directly on her skin or clothing.

Just curious... why not?

My kids' hats and shoes all had their names and phone numbers written in them. We got some lost hats back thanks to this. And I still sometimes write on the palm of my hand, if I need to make a note and I don't have a bit of scratch paper handy.

I had dog ID tags engraved with my and my husband's cell phone numbers. I attached them to their sneakers. For the pool I knew I would not take my eyes off of them one single second, so we did not feel the need to tag them for the pool. I thought about safety tat, but the reviews were hit or miss, and I knew this dog tag would stand up to whatever came our way that week.

Speaking from a CM's standpoint, the Safety Tats were always the best way of getting a lost parent back. (There's no lost kids at Disney, only lost parents) They stay on in water, and are easily visible. CM's aren't always going to look inside hats/clothing for contact info, and bracelets and name tags can be removed.

here is my blog story on lost children. I believe a ID bracelet might be better You can get those on Amazon

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com/2012/08/disney-lost-child-procedures.html

Aw... that was so sad about the poor girl getting yelled at and smacked by her mother, even though she'd done the right thing in asking a CM for help!

We managed to misplace our daughter once in the Main Street shops when she was nine. She'd plopped herself down on the floor behind a stack of shelves to read, and no one could see her, not even the CMs who were helping me look. She was off in another universe, and never realized we were all searching for her! After 20 minutes or so, she stood up and looked around, saw me going past, and went, "Hi, Mom!"

I was justifiably ticked off. But it still never would have occurred to me to yell at her or smack her. We just did the "we're very disappointed in you" thing, and that was enough. And I made a mental note to keep a closer eye on her in the future.

My son also got lost when he was ten, with a 9yo friend. They'd gotten off the ride, and couldn't find their friend's dad. My son searched briefly, then flagged down a CM, who started the "walk around the area" routine and in short order they were all together. No one was mad, in fact I got a call from the dad that night praising my son for his clear thinking and maturity. Which is the way it should be!

There are some great blogs out there that show you how to make your own version. I made a bunch for my DS that have stitch and others that have R2D2 on them. I even had some fun with it and used the lilo and stitch font and the star wars font. They are super cute and you can make a ton of them for cheap. Just order Silhouette America's temporary tattoo paper.

Just curious... what makes Safety Tats any better than just writing on the kid with an ordinary (waterproof, permanent) Sharpie?

Also, though I'm sure this doesn't need repeating, always make sure to teach your child how to identify a CM, and remind them several times during the day. Play "spot the CM". Tell your child that if ever they can't find you, they should walk straight up to the nearest CM and tell them. Practice by having them walk up and say hi to a random CM, just for fun.

And finally, tat or no tat, by six every child should be able to recite her full name, home address, phone number and the full names of both her parents. If possible before you leave, try to teach her your cell phone number, too.

And don't forget to teach him or her your area code!

I love Safety Tats. They weren't around when my 18 yo DD was little, but I've bought them for nieces and nephews and love to give them as gifts before friends and family travel. Everyone always appreciates them. We've never had to "use" them (i.e. a parent hasn't been lost), but the kids like to wear them and it gives you some comfort that your child can be identified by a CM. We also put them on the inside of the lower arm. I think that was what was suggested in the packaging.

i LOVE safety tats! Our first trip my DD was 15 months old, she knew her name and that was all, I needed a way for her to be able to speak for herself when she didn't know the words. Safety tats were that solution, for that trip I put it on the nape of her neck, hidden in pictures but visible without looking too hard. For this past trip DD was 2.5 she knows my name and my moms name but not phone numbers, again safety tats were the way to go, this time I put it on her inner arm, still hidden(for the most part) in pictures but visible. I will be using them again in October, for me it isn't about "when I get lost" its about the what if, what if she wanders off, what if she walks up to another family thinking its us(which she has done in the store when I was right next to her), what if all the adults go off into lala land talking and don't notice her walking away(don't flame me for this, no one is perfect and 3 yr olds are short and move fast). My mom thinks I'm crazy, I think I'm smart.

When we went last year DS was 5. I really had no intention of "marking" him as he is not a kid that would ever leave our side and we had one kid and three adults. He did know our cell numbers. When we got there and the crowds were much higher than we had anticipated or ever experienced in a lot of trips. What we did was write his name on the inside of his shoe, on the upper sole part. His was white so it was fine. At 5 or 6 they are plenty old to show a CM where the number is if they would happen to "forget" the number.

Aw... that was so sad about the poor girl getting yelled at and smacked by her mother, even though she'd done the right thing in asking a CM for help!

We managed to misplace our daughter once in the Main Street shops when she was nine. She'd plopped herself down on the floor behind a stack of shelves to read, and no one could see her, not even the CMs who were helping me look. She was off in another universe, and never realized we were all searching for her! After 20 minutes or so, she stood up and looked around, saw me going past, and went, "Hi, Mom!"

I was justifiably ticked off. But it still never would have occurred to me to yell at her or smack her. We just did the "we're very disappointed in you" thing, and that was enough. And I made a mental note to keep a closer eye on her in the future.

My son also got lost when he was ten, with a 9yo friend. They'd gotten off the ride, and couldn't find their friend's dad. My son searched briefly, then flagged down a CM, who started the "walk around the area" routine and in short order they were all together. No one was mad, in fact I got a call from the dad that night praising my son for his clear thinking and maturity. Which is the way it should be!

I'm glad you reacted in a better way than the lady I dealt with. I felt so bad for the kid. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter