Safety question ?

You shouldn't waste your time worrying. You will be fine. Anything can happen at anytime.

I've lives in SWF for 5 years, and I have driven back and forth to NJ several times. Sometimes with my DH and sometimes by myself. I have never been afraid or felt in danger. I have a game plan, and maps.

You are more likely to be in a traffic jam on I95 due to an accident than protesters blocking the roads.

*mumbles to herself*

Two kinder eggs..
One NON rutting moose
Hockey stick

Anyone have a request? I'm not turning around once I get started..

Could you make a short detour and drop off a magic 8 ball to the OP? I'd suggest a crystal ball, but I don't think she's qualified to read one.

OP, you seem to want an iron clad guarantee that nothing untoward could possibly occur on this trip. Nothing in this world is guaranteed. You apparently have no confidence that your state trooper husband has the ability to assess a situation and keep you safe. I'm not sure why you are using the excuse of the other members of the team travelling at the same time. (not with you, not your responsibility) These are presumably being accompanied by their parents, who are also, presumably, competent, reasonably intelligent people who regularly manage to decide for themselves what is safe and what is not. I'm sure if the team coaches were particularly concerned they would have called a meeting about canceling the trip.

Since using a GPS or app to watch for road closures, or using a news Radio station for breaking news is something new to you, I think it's best that you stay home. I'll leave it at that. I just backspaced 2 other paragraphs to avoid possible points.

I live in a Washington DC suburb
DC has more protests than most cities, it's been that way for years.
We've lived here for 20 years and NEVER has a protest been held anywhere close to I-95 or the Beltway around DC I-495.
So the fear of a protest shutting down the interstate in the DC metro area is pretty unfounded based on past history
Downtown DC / Capitol area - where the protests would be held to get max exposure - are not at all close to 95 +495

Last edited:
*mumbles to herself*

Two kinder eggs..
One NON rutting moose
Hockey stick

Anyone have a request? I'm not turning around once I get started..

Oh, sorry. I have 6 kids, but since the baby isn't eating solids yet, that would only be 5 KinderEggs.

When you drop them off, though, I will repay you with a hoagie, some scrapple, some pork roll, and a big box of salt water taffy.

Oh, sorry. I have 6 kids, but since the baby isn't eating solids yet, that would only be 5 KinderEggs.

When you drop them off, though, I will repay you with a hoagie, some scrapple, some pork roll, and a big box of salt water taffy.

Dang @kimblebee deliver my stuff first so I can ride along to roseaster's house with you! :)

Downtown DC / Capitol area are not at all close to 95 +495
Unless my husband is driving!!
Last time we came back from FL I drove straight from Sports all the way to the dc/va border and let him sleep through the night in the passenger seat. We are literally less than an hour from home. I can't keep my eyes open an longer. I switch him seats. I immediately pass out and get awoken to him cursing and fighting the GPS and my eyes see the capital building really close. I drove 13 hours and he gets lost with an hour left to drive!!!!

It was loads of fun to now be stuck in rush hour Tuesday morning traffic in dc where the roads and ramps are so close my GPS can not differentiate each other.

We are flying this year!

I wish this was not the new norm. We should not have to live day to day in fear that something bad is going to happen. Ever since 9/11 happened we all have to watch what is around us at all time. We no longer have that care free American attitude that we had when I was growing up in the 90's.

The vast majority of Americans aren't living in fear day to day. You're doing that to yourself. There could be a disaster in your neighborhood tomorrow. Who's to know what will happen where. The best you can do is live your life.

Of course the years of your childhood seem idyllic, they should. I grew up in the 70's those seemed like magical years to me but of course they weren't. There were antiwar protests, racial tension, rioting etc (sound familiar?).

Could you make a short detour and drop off a magic 8 ball to the OP? I'd suggest a crystal ball, but I don't think she's qualified to read one.

OP, you seem to want an iron clad guarantee that nothing untoward could possibly occur on this trip. Nothing in this world is guaranteed. You apparently have no confidence that your state trooper husband has the ability to assess a situation and keep you safe. I'm not sure why you are using the excuse of the other members of the team travelling at the same time. (not with you, not your responsibility) These are presumably being accompanied by their parents, who are also, presumably, competent, reasonably intelligent people who regularly manage to decide for themselves what is safe and what is not. I'm sure if the team coaches were particularly concerned they would have called a meeting about canceling the trip.

Since using a GPS or app to watch for road closures, or using a news Radio station for breaking news is something new to you, I think it's best that you stay home. I'll leave it at that. I just backspaced 2 other paragraphs to avoid possible points.
we have a gps in our new van and it works well

We no longer have that care free American attitude that we had when I was growing up in the 90's.

There have always been things to worry about since the dawn of time.

So true. I wonder have any of you perused the headlines from the 60s? We all thought we were going to die. Cuban missile crisis; Bay of Pigs; Symbionese Liberation Army; shootings on campus; President Kennedy assassinated; civil rights marches (yes, even then, and sometimes dangerous); Martin Luther King assassinated; Vietnam war......

I'm amazed we all lived long enough to have another generation to worry about what the world is coming to.

Use the GPS, use Google Maps, use the WAZE app. Something that will let you know if there is a traffic back up. You won't know why it is backed up, but if you fear the interstate being shut down, you would know there is a back up and it should suggest an alternate route (Google Maps does this and I think WAZE does as well).

This is the reality of our world. We don't need to live in fear and hide in our houses. Bad things can happen at any time, anywhere. 20+ people died a week or so ago in WV, about an hour and a half from where I live. It wasn't an attack, it was flooding. Major flooding that came on fast, took so much including lives with it, and left unimaginable devastation behind. No, that has nothing to do with riots, but my point is, you aren't "safe" anywhere.

Be aware of your surroundings, and if you see something concerning (large, angry crowd), go the other way. Personally, I would be more afraid of I-95.

First thing to do is stop watching the news, especially Fox. Second, I live in Raleigh, NC and I will honestly tell you that until this thread was started it hadn't even passed into a brain cell. I don't worry about things that aren't happening in the exact area where I am. Even if there was going to be a rally in Virginia Beach the odds of it happening when you are there are so slim that you probably have better odds of having a meteor land on your roof. Even if you were there all you have to do is not go in the area where it's happening.

Virginia Beach is a tourist area. It has all the seaside trappings designed to pull tourists in. It isn't a big city, it isn't even close to being one. It is all glitter and bright lights and designed to be a beach resort. Beaches are hard to burn. The silliness of thinking that just because something is further south then NYC is automatically a hotbed of hatred and anger, is unfair and way off the path. The majority of the United States is south of New York City. I don't think that Virginia beach is actually thought of as being "the south" by most people. ;)

First thing to do is stop watching the news, especially Fox. Second, I live in Raleigh, NC and I will honestly tell you that until this thread was started it hadn't even passed into a brain cell. I don't worry about things that aren't happening in the exact area where I am. Even if there was going to be a rally in Virginia Beach the odds of it happening when you are there are so slim that you probably have better odds of having a meteor land on your roof. Even if you were there all you have to do is not go in the area where it's happening.

Virginia Beach is a tourist area. It has all the seaside trappings designed to pull tourists in. It isn't a big city, it isn't even close to being one. It is all glitter and bright lights and designed to be a beach resort. Beaches are hard to burn. The silliness of thinking that just because something is further south then NYC is automatically a hotbed of hatred and anger, is unfair and way off the path. The majority of the United States is south of New York City. I don't think that Virginia beach is actually thought of as being "the south" by most people. ;)

I agree that her fear is unfounded. But I don't think she said anything about being worried because it's in the south.

I wish this was not the new norm. We should not have to live day to day in fear that something bad is going to happen. Ever since 9/11 happened we all have to watch what is around us at all time. We no longer have that care free American attitude that we had when I was growing up in the 90's.

I respect your fear and concern as valid to you, but I also grew up in the 1990s and I don't personally recall them being carefree at all.

Between the Murrah Federal Building being attacked by domestic terrorists, a group of extremists in Waco creating a standoff that ended in a conflagration that killed so many innocent children and women, the first attack on the WTC by Osama bin Laden's newly established al Qaeda, the first Gulf War, the regular bombings in Northern Ireland, the sarin attack on Tokyo's subway system that was "guaranteed to be heading to the USA next," the cold-blooded murder of several American physicians by the self-named "Army of God," the Atlanta Olympic bombings by another domestic terrorist from the "Army of God," and many others that I'm sure I'm forgetting, as a teen and young adult it was quite intimidating and flat-out scary at times. Now, as an adult, I realize that I've never been more safe living in my cocoon of privilege and am quite aware that I'm far more likely to be killed in a car accident driving into work than I am to be killed in a modern version of the scary events I remember from the 1990s.

And right now I'm personally inspired and excited by the civil rights protests by members of Black Lives Matter and others, and while I do not like some of the most extreme actions of a very small segment of its membership, I am in full support of their primary efforts and goals and am proud to watch them develop.

The silliness of thinking that just because something is further south then NYC is automatically a hotbed of hatred and anger, is unfair and way off the path.
I don't think anyone said that. A protest IN NYC is why she was thinking about it, not that she thought anything south of NYC was dangerous. OP correct me if I'm wrong.

stop watching the news, especially Fox.
Seriously? They all play this stuff non-stop.

Maybe, I didn't read it that way since she said that she was worried because of what happened in Rochester.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter