• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Safest areas around WDW?

sweet maxine

DIS Veteran
Another question...

I'm wondering if any areas around WDW are safer than others---Intl. Drive, Kissimmee, Lake Buena Vista---for example?

How far is the Celebration town from Old Town, and has Old Town become a very shady place? I have stayed at the Comfort Suites behind there, and wondering if that area is safe at all any more.

I would say that I felt more comfortable in the LBV and the south International Drive area. Kissimmee is a little sketchy, but for some reason my DH loves the scary roller coaster at Old Town. I feel I have to say a prayer every time he goes on it! I'd also stay away from some parts of the Orange Blossom Trail.

I agree with the other poster. As I understand it, there are areas closer to Orlando that are not as safe. Technically, WDW is not in Orlando - Orlando is well north of WDW. WDW is in Buena Vista, FL. I also understand that Orlando has a fairly high crime rate. I've never felt unsafe in the high tourist areas though - WDW, I-Drive. 192/Kissimee isn't quite as nice, but it still feels relatively safe. I've not really gone up into Orlando proper though.

LBV is fairly safe. travel solo and stay in that area.

part of ID are just as unsafe as parts of US192 kissimmee.

the South end of ID - near WDW and SW are definitely safer than the area around US and that outlet mall.

Kissimmee - gets it at both ends - the far west pass Orange Lake don't go near okay this is really Davenport I think. - the other end is near Old Town. Now there are some nice places near Old Town - but these are closer to the Horse show - Arabrian horses than Old Towne.

Celebration is definitely a safe area.

now once you are on way past Orange Lake on US 27 instead of US 192 - I think that area is nice again - there are several houses along US 27 for rent and I have never heard of their guests being robbed or worst.

Thanks for all your replies!

I just want to make sure I'm on the same page with what I'm considering to be safe, and what ya'll have posted if pretty much what I thought was true.

I think especially with the holiday season here, it never hurts to be safe rather than sorry.

We usually stay on the west end of 192 from World Dr to US27. We have found it very safe. There's new subdivisions in this area also.
192 ends at US27 : going north on 27 is Clermont and south on 27 is toward Davenport. Both of these areas have lots of newer subdivisions with home rentals. There's also new restaurants and shops being built in this area. The SuperWalmart is only a couple of years old. I would have no problems staying there.
The only area I would hesitate to stay is on the far east end of 192, down past the Walmart. Crime can happen in any area, not too long ago there were a couple of robberies in LBV and DTD areas.
Just be aware of where you are and what's going on around you. No place is perfectly safe.

definitely OKW, moderates and values resorts have been robbed - that is one reason for security guards at these places.

Lake Buena Vista is overall very safe,International Drive south of Sand Lake rd. is safer than the north end,I have no problem staying anywhere in I-Drive or LBV but always keep your guard up.I've also stayed at the Comfort Suites next to Old Town and think that's a very good hotel and would never hesitate to stay there.As far as 192,NEVER,EVER stay anywhere east of 535 on 192,several places like the Comfort Suites or the Holiday Inn that used to be a Travelodge I have no problem staying at,most of these better places on 192 are between 535 and the entrance to Disney.I've stayed only a handful of times west of the Disney entrance on 192 so I don't know the whole area but where I did stay seemed a bit shady.Celebration is pretty much next to Old Town.I don't frequent Old Town but from the times I've been I didn't think it was too bad.

We have stayed in the Kissimmee area at both the Emerald Island and Windsor Palms resorts and felt very safe in these developments. Both are gated with full-time security (as is Windsor Hills) and I would highly recommend them. They are beautiful properties with lots of amenities and very close to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter