• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Safe tranportation to Universal

kbelle8995

DIS Veteran
Going to Orlando in January Hopefully.

I am trying to think of some safe transportation to Universal that's not too pricey. Renting a car is not an option. And there are not shuttles over to Universal from the hotel.

Taxi
Uber.

Taxi, uber, lyft, car service like Mears.

From what I understand Uber is the only one that MAY be cheaper, but some resorts may try to prohibit Uber drivers so you have to get creative.

Resorts have no trouble with Uber. It's only MCO airport bc of some wheeling and dealing yo keep the main taxi company (Mears) happy. You can get an Uber from the Hyatt there but it takes a bit of work. Saves about 1/2 the $ though.

Going to Orlando in January Hopefully.

I am trying to think of some safe transportation to Universal that's not too pricey. Renting a car is not an option. And there are not shuttles over to Universal from the hotel.

Taxi
Uber.

Not sure how fair of a price it is, but Tiffany Limo has been my go to service. About $150 round trip for 4 people, including a stop at the grocery store on the way. They are prompt and reliable. Some of the vehicles are really nice, others are just serviceable (but still clean and comfortable). Some drivers are friendlier than others, but all have at least been professional.

Not sure how fair of a price it is, but Tiffany Limo has been my go to service. About $150 round trip for 4 people, including a stop at the grocery store on the way. They are prompt and reliable. Some of the vehicles are really nice, others are just serviceable (but still clean and comfortable). Some drivers are friendlier than others, but all have at least been professional.

I think the OP is staying off-site and wants to figure out how to get to the parks. I'm leery about Uber/Lyft and would probably pay cab prices.

Don't forget Tony Hinds. I got his name from one of the moderators. He has a web page and he is so easy going and affordable

we leave in 2 weeks and decided to try uber from POP to universal. I'll try to post about the experience when we get back. :)

We will be at Universal Dec 16-19 and will be using Tony Hinds. He charges $100 round trip for up to 8 people, (I believe) including a grocery stop. I will also be using Uber XL to get back and forth to MVMCP one evening. I too will report back on our first Uber experience

I am a single woman who is staying offsite. I have heard issues with Uber and Lyft regarding women's safety so I am a tad leery. I think I will just pay up for the cab. The person who I am going with has stated she can drop me off on certain days. And the Limo is a bit higher than what I would pay for 1 person. I really appreciate all the advice. I love the Universal boards. And the hotel does have a shuttle to epcot so there is that.

I am just looking for way to be dropped off and picked up.

I haven't used Uber in Orlando, but use it a lot in DC (where I live/work) plus on vacations in NYC, Boston, and Philly. I've probably used Uber 50+ times in the past 2 years. Never been an issue, easy, and reliable service. There used to be a coupon on their site for your first ride.

I do always send my trip info to someone so they know the car and driver's info. That is something you can't do in a cab.

Have fun!

I haven't used Uber in Orlando, but use it a lot in DC (where I live/work) plus on vacations in NYC, Boston, and Philly. I've probably used Uber 50+ times in the past 2 years. Never been an issue, easy, and reliable service. There used to be a coupon on their site for your first ride.

I do always send my trip info to someone so they know the car and driver's info. That is something you can't do in a cab.

Have fun!
I've also used Uber a lot w no trouble. I much prefer it to taxis most of the time. I feel just as safe with those drivers. However, know that Lyft more fully screens drivers so you can use them as a middle ground.

I am a female and often travel alone for work. I use Uber in every city I travel to and have never had an issue. In fact, it's probably more safe than a taxi because Uber tracks your GPS through your phone and Uber drivers have to carry a certain rating in order to keep their driving privileges. Not to mention, Uber drivers are driving their own vehicles that they pay for and insure themselves, so they tend to drive less erractically than a taxi driver might. IMO, Uber is certainly the cheapest, quickest, and most efficient way to get to/from the parks multiple times with no rental car. Otherwise, you'll have to be on a schedule with a car service.

I've never used Uber but will have to for our upcoming trip. Do you schedule in advance and how much notice do you need to give them? Like if I want to be at Discovery Cove at 8:00 am, will calling them at 7 am work or should I schedule the night before?

I've never used it but will in a few weeks. You have to upload the app and enter your payment method area of time. When you are ready to go put your destination into the app and the app shows how close by drivers are. I looked and it shows a couple vehicles within a close distance and how many minutes it should take them to get to you

I've never used Uber but will have to for our upcoming trip. Do you schedule in advance and how much notice do you need to give them? Like if I want to be at Discovery Cove at 8:00 am, will calling them at 7 am work or should I schedule the night before?

No, you don't/ can't schedule ahead of time (unless you happen to know a driver to contact directly). Open up the app when you start getting ready for the day to get a feel for how many drivers are out and about and how close they are. Hail one when you think you need to leave. It's helpful to message them something like your party size, something you're wearing or other identifier so they can pull right up to you. You have to have a photo in the app (driver does too) so you'll be able to recognize each other that way. You'll know exactly what kind of car to look for too.
You'll know the price range for your fare before committing to the ride.
Don't forget to see if there are any coupon codes around (just google). You can usually get $x off your first ride.

Last edited:
Uber is an on demand service and they prohibit scheduling in advance. As PP mentioned, when you check the app, it will show you an estimated time of how long it will take a driver to get to you. You can check the app before you go just to get a feel for how frequent they are at the times you need them, so you know when to call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter