Safe/best way too value inherited jewelry?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
I recently inherited jewelry and have no idea what might be the best was to find out how much it is worth. Also, much of it is stuff that I would never wear or want to pass down. What would be a good way to sell it once the value is determined?

Thanks for any help.:goodvibes

I recently inherited jewelry and have no idea what might be the best was to find out how much it is worth. Also, much of it is stuff that I would never wear or want to pass down. What would be a good way to sell it once the value is determined?

Thanks for any help.:goodvibes

Most nicer jewelry stores provide an appraisal service of some variety, typically for insurance purposes. It won't necessarily give you a price you'd be able to get if you sold it in a private transaction, but it might give you at least a reference point for what something comparable might cost at retail.

Most nicer jewelry stores provide an appraisal service of some variety, typically for insurance purposes. It won't necessarily give you a price you'd be able to get if you sold it in a private transaction, but it might give you at least a reference point for what something comparable might cost at retail.

Yes indeed. Ask for their appraisal rates by the hour and not by the piece. You will also have an easier time if you go to a privately owned jewelry store (that's nice and carries quality pieces) than if you go to a chain store.

I agree about going to a local high end jewlery store.

There are different kinds of appraisals. Someone might want their jewelry to be valued for insurance reasons so that would mean the replacement cost or retail value of the pieces.

Someone else might want to know the value for estate taxes, in other words you are putting a value on the entire estate for the purposes of paying taxes on it. In that case the appraisal on a white gold, diamond solitaire ring would read--ring, white metal with clear stone. The lowest possible value would be placed on the item.

In your case you want to know the resale price of the pieces, since you are asking what would an estate jewlery dealer pay you for the items.

Without paying for an appraisal you can get an idea of their value by going to three (or more) estate jewelry stores in your area and offer the items for sale to them. The different offers will give you a ballpark figure on the value to you.

Good luck,

Cathy

OP, are you in contact with the executor of the estate? The executor might be able to tell you if there was an insurance rider (attached to the former owner's household insurance documents) on any of the pieces, and the amount for which each item was insured.

Thanks for all of the help. This is jewelry that my mother had and my father just wanted to give me. They are/were very old-fashioned and I am sure that they didn't even think about listing these items on their insurance policies.

Thanks for all of the help. This is jewelry that my mother had and my father just wanted to give me. They are/were very old-fashioned and I am sure that they didn't even think about listing these items on their insurance policies.

Rather then selling them what about reworking them into more modern pieces? That is what I did with some of the pieces I inherited from DH's grandma...a broch became a pendant, a long necklace that I knew I wouldn't wear became a shorter necklace and bracelet. This way you could still use the jewlery.

Allison

It would be kind of you to check with other family members before you dispose of the items. Even if it has no sentimental value to you, it might mean a lot to others. If your mother had sisters or grand daughters, I'd definitely give them a shot at it before I sold it to a stranger.

It has always made me very sad that I don't have any keepsake from my Grandmother.

Sheila

Good point. I did pull peices for any female relatives who were interested, so we're set on that front. Honestly, looking at this stuff does not bring about happy memories. I'm ready to move on.

if any of the jewelry is gold and diamonds, have it melted and made into something new. I went to a jeweler that makes jewelry and had him design a pendant for me. i used a diamond necklace, a pair of earrings and old jewelry and our class rings. it is a gorgeous pendant and has the 3 diamonds in it. it certainly uses the class rings for a better purpose than sitting in our jewelry box. it didn't coat that much because he used the gold i brought. it's a way to use the jewelry and get something to keep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter