Safe Areas/Apartments in Orlando

Sabres2008

Formerly dmk1021
Hello Everyone,

I have some job interviews in Orlando next week and I *hopefully* will get at least one offer out of them.

Thing is, I've done a lot of research lately about the safer areas in Orlando, yet I still cannot concretely say I know which areas are the safest and most reasonable for me to live in. I'm hoping some Central Fla locals can help me out a bit.

My interviews are all around the John Young Pkwy area, and I'm also interested in working PT as a WDW CM as well, so I'm looking to be within a half hour of each of those areas.

I'm a 26-year old female and will be living alone, so I definitely want to live somewhere very safe. The only "good" areas I know of are Celebration and Baldwin Park. From what I can tell, in other towns, parts are good, parts are bad.

Can anyone recommend specific apartment complexes or towns to me at all? I'm looking for 1-bedroom apartments for $900 or less (I'm willing to pay up to $1000 for Celebration, because that is the one area I know I'd like to live in...garage apartments or condos don't seem as readily available as I thought they would be, though).

Any tips or help are greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong place...I didn't know where else to put it and for all the research I've been doing (I've been contemplating a move to Orlando for more than a year), I don't seem 100% on any areas but Celebration or Baldwin Park.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips:goodvibes

stay where your at, there is no place like home, besides who wants to battle the traffic and heat all the time

I have been wondering this myself. I'm heading down the last week of August to search for housing. Just wanted to bump this up for ya in hopes someone can help.

Let's start with where are you going to be working? Also know that the cops are all over the crime situations in Orlando and they are reducing it.

I'm single myself and there are areas you just don't go, like in ANY city, but let's start with where you're working and work outward from there.

I actually don't have a job yet, but my two of my interviews are in the same area (John Young Pkwy, 32803), and on is on S. Semoran (32807). From what I hear, I don't want to be super-close to either of these areas.

Also, I am hoping to work PT as a WDW CM. So I'm hoping to be within a half hour of both these areas.

Thanks for the help!

Look in College Park. Good area, trendy (yes, it will be a bit high priced, but beautiful areas).

Sorry I don't have the zip. I'm over near Universal, on Conroy. It's expensive, but my little area is nice and quiet.

Hope that helps as well. OBT is also another one to avoid (Orange Blossom Trail to the non-native folk)

I actually don't have a job yet, but my two of my interviews are in the same area (John Young Pkwy, 32803), and on is on S. Semoran (32807). From what I hear, I don't want to be super-close to either of these areas.

Also, I am hoping to work PT as a WDW CM. So I'm hoping to be within a half hour of both these areas.

Thanks for the help!
Problem is...JYP (west side) and Semoran (436 east side) are quite a ways from each other plus if you're looking to work at Disney, that might complicate where you'd be living. I would recommend the Hunter's Creek area since that's close to all three places (relatively speaking) but it just depends on where the job is located. Do NOT look in Milennia Mall, Conway areas or right downtown (too expensive). College Park is nice but pricey and it's on the northern side of town away from the Disney area and you would have to deal with I-4 to get there (and you DON'T want to do that). Let us know how the interviews go and then we can help more.

I don't live there but just spent a week with my brother who does.

His complex is REALLY nice. I felt perfectly safe all week-- and the area was really nice. You mentioned John Young.. which I seem to recall him talking about being close.

He lives here- http://www.heritageonmillenia.com/index.asp

There's a huge new neighborhood called Summerport and there are tons of apartments around that area too. From Summerport to the parking lot of the Contemporary (where I work) is 15 minutes and it's a very safe although fairly undeveloped area. Only problem is that the only close store is Publix. If you want Target or anything you have to venture out. This is considered Windermere. It's very close to WDW but I'm not sure where it is in relation to the other place you would be working.

Thank you all very much for your help! I have a lot to go on, and I'm getting as much info and printouts from your guys' suggestions as I can before I leave (tomorrow morning!) so I can check these areas out.

I'm really hoping that these interviews work out...if at least one of them does, I'll be sure to let you guys know!

Thanks again - I knew my fellow DISers would help me out :goodvibes

I second Summerport and Hunters Creek as nice areas that would meet your requirements for location.

Baldwin Park, College Park, and Avalon Park are all going to be ridiculously far for commuting to either area through traffic.

Summperport is a really nice area, there are a few DIS posters who live there (or very nearby) including Feralpeg, which I'm sure will be very helpful if you wanted to ask for their help.

Anne

We LOVED our apartment in Champion's Gate. It is an area that is building up, but still very safe as far as crime. ChampionsGate is Exit 58 off I-4, just a few miles from Celebration. Driving to John Young wouldn't be bad because you could take I-4 to Exit 62 (4 miles) and then take the 417 to John Young. I would be about a 20 minute commute depending on where on John Young you'll be working.

The apartments we lived at were called "The Legends" formerly "Alta Gate" We paid about $900 a month for a 2-bedroom, so definitely in your price range. The apartments are about 6 years old, so relatively new. They have a gorgeous clubhouse and pool. There is a pretty good fitness room, a media center, a computer room with photocopier. The whole place is well-lit and gated.

We never had a problem with crime, although some kids cut the screens on the patios of some ground-floor apartments. The place was quiet, with decent people. Several teachers I worked with lived there as well.

There's a Publix strip-mall about a half-mile away. Lots of roads to walk-on- though they're building lots of upscale condos in the neighborhood. When we lived there, it was all fields and golf course. They have built 2 gas stations, a Chili's, a bank, a Walgreens, and a giant Omni hotel since we moved into our apartment 4 years ago.

We have since built our own house and moved out of that area, but we have fond memories of our apartment.

PM me if you want more information.

We LOVED our apartment in Champion's Gate. It is an area that is building up, but still very safe as far as crime. ChampionsGate is Exit 58 off I-4, just a few miles from Celebration. Driving to John Young wouldn't be bad because you could take I-4 to Exit 62 (4 miles) and then take the 417 to John Young. I would be about a 20 minute commute depending on where on John Young you'll be working.

The apartments we lived at were called "The Legends" formerly "Alta Gate" We paid about $900 a month for a 2-bedroom, so definitely in your price range. The apartments are about 6 years old, so relatively new. They have a gorgeous clubhouse and pool. There is a pretty good fitness room, a media center, a computer room with photocopier. The whole place is well-lit and gated.

We never had a problem with crime, although some kids cut the screens on the patios of some ground-floor apartments. The place was quiet, with decent people. Several teachers I worked with lived there as well.

There's a Publix strip-mall about a half-mile away. Lots of roads to walk-on- though they're building lots of upscale condos in the neighborhood. When we lived there, it was all fields and golf course. They have built 2 gas stations, a Chili's, a bank, a Walgreens, and a giant Omni hotel since we moved into our apartment 4 years ago.

We have since built our own house and moved out of that area, but we have fond memories of our apartment.

PM me if you want more information.

My dad has friends who live in Champion's Gate and they LOVE it. My dad also loves it so much that he was looking at buying a place there.

Hi everyone and thank you very much for all your input!

I just returned to Buffalo after 3 interviews and 1 second interview. I actually received a job offer this morning; however, I had to decline. To be brutally honest, it simply was not enough salary to justify the expense of moving (and difference in cost of living).

I'm disappointed, but I am going to finish my master's here and re-assess the situation then (I can't afford to keep flying down for a week at a time for interviews). I will keep all of your suggestions and input so I can turn to it after I graduate.

Hopefully this can help some other people relocating as well! Thanks again!

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you at this time. May I ask you what kind of a job you were interviewing for?

Sure, it was a public relations entry-level position. Starting pay for entry-level PR reps in Buffalo is around $35,000, but this job paid a little over $26,000 (I have heard that many jobs pay less in Central Florida than in the NE; however, we're talking more than 30% more for an entry-level position up here...plus the cost of living is significantly lower).

Even with the PT job at WDW, I would have really been struggling, as I have more than $100,000 in student loans that will be out of deferment in a few months, and the rents are pretty high in Orlando. Plus, to be honest, I did not have as much saved up for the move as I should have.

Let me tell you, I could not have been more disappointed. Still, I feel optimistic. I have one course left for my M.S. (and my thesis) and I do have another internship lined up here in the fall. I'm going to bust my butt, save up more and continue to build up my resume, and I'm going to revisit the situation in the spring and see what opportunities are out there.

Still stings, though, that it didn't work out.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and advice, though :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter