Sadly Disappointed with Canada Pavillion at Epcot

SkylarKD

Mouseketeer
My husband and I recently got back from our honeymoon at WDW. We loved Epcot, and were excited to see the Canada Pavillion. We left frustrated though, and more than a little disappointed.

As we entered the pavillion, we heard 'Off Kilter' playing. As I'd heard lots of positive comments about them from the DISboards, we stopped to listen. The few songs we listened to were okay, but we found it strange that some of the guys seemed to have Scottish accents. Whatever, we figured the guys were from all over. Just as I was thinking of making a request, a viewer on the other side of the stage called out my request. "Play 'Barrett's Privateers'!", he yelled. The answer from the stage shocked me. "We don't know that one!" one of the band members answered, although he also commented that they get asked to play the song often. We left after he said that. Whas self-respecting Canadian Celtic rock band doesn't know Barrett's Privateers?!? (To say nothing of why they wouldn't learn a song that's frequently requested) Before going into the movie 'O Canada', we asked a cast member if any guys in the band were actually from Canada. Confirming our suspicions, she said no.

Now, I ask you, What is the point of having a band play in the "Canadian Pavillion" when NONE of its members are from Canada?!? It just seems like an insult to me. We have so much fantastic musical talent in Canada - hire someone who represents the country! I don't care if Off Kilter throws in a few Canadian tunes. In my opinion, knowing how to play "Farewell To Nova Scotia" shouldn't qualify you to represent Canada, musically.

The movie was another disappointment. After seeing the films in China and France, we were excited to see the film of our country. Having lived in 6 provinces, and driven cross-country twice, we feel that we've seen a lot of Canada. To start with, the film was dated either 1983 or 1985. It was a very 1980s representation of the country. Come see our bears, birds and mountains. There were a few pictures of Toronto and Vancouver, but little mention of the great cultural and intrenational events in our cities. They mentioned the fact that the country is very multicultural, but didn't show many people of different cultures in the film. There was one shot of PEI. Newfoundland was not even mentioned in the film. There was a brief mention of the Maritime provinces (which doesn't include Newfoundland), and the "accent" the narrator used was clearly fake. The "accent" they used while narrating the clip of the Calgary Stampede sounded like a United States southerner. And there was no need to say "eh" so much in the film. The country's French heritage was also touched on very little for a 20 minute film. And the clothes and hairstyles... well, let's just say the film was definitely from the 80s. We were very frustrated watching the film. Millions of people see it every year, and I am ashamed that this is the representation of Canada that we show to WDW visitors. It makes me wonder if Canadian Heritage (in the government of Canada) has any idea how outdated the film is.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I know no one probably thinks their country's Epcot Pavillion is terribly representative of their country, but I was really looking forward to the Canadian Pavillion, and I was sorely disappointed. :(

The film has been something people from Canada have been complaining about for a number of years. Mind you we get a good laugh out of it when we go and see it. Off Kilter is a non Canadian band that plays many celtic songs representive of the East Coast of Canada and they are quite good I have no complaints about them or the music.

I myself do not care for Off Kilter. I think they are too loud, and I can even feel the drum pounding in my chest. I actually had to leave. They sound better when I listen in UK. Yes the Oh Canada film is very dated. Still, I enjoy the beauty of the country shown in the film. We live in such a diverse land that if the film were an hour long many many things would still be missed. However, my understanding is that the governments of each country in Epcot paid for their own attractions in the World Showcase. A more current film would be nice. But it seems to me that it's the responsibility of the Govt. of Canada.

I never saw Off Kilter, and the only thing I liked about the Canada film was the song. It's so catchy... the song itself did make me feel patriotic, although the film was sorely lacking, that's for sure. Kinda get the feeling that all of Epcot's World Showcase is in need of updating.

My favourite bit from the movie is the helicopter caribou ranching, eh? Gadzooks, can anyone find out which particular branch of government we would need to contact to get a movie that actually reflects life in Canada? Or maybe we could convince Roots to do it? I smell product placement.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

A combned effort with the Government mind you it is the Liberals and they only like to spend money on sponsorship with Liberal friendly ad agencies etc LOL With ROOTS and the government I thion it could work especially since we allready sell tonnes of roots product at our pavillion anyhow. I have a DVD called Oh Canada that could work as a stepping stone for the new movie it is quite good and up to date.

Forget it! A new movie would attract more people and this would lead to longer wait times. Martin's entire election platform was "shorter wait times." so there's little chance he'll okay the funds for a new film. :)

Originally posted by SkylarKD
...Just as I was thinking of making a request, a viewer on the other side of the stage called out my request. "Play 'Barrett's Privateers'!", he yelled. The answer from the stage shocked me. "We don't know that one!" one of the band members answered, although he also commented that they get asked to play the song often. We left after he said that. Whas self-respecting Canadian Celtic rock band doesn't know Barrett's Privateers?!? (To say nothing of why they wouldn't learn a song that's frequently requested) ...
I had generally avoided the Canada pavillion for fear of such disappointment. And come on, no Barrett's Privateers??!! At least they could learn it, and maybe "Bud the Spud" (one of my kids' fav' songs. And it's not all Scots in the Maritimes either, ofr that matter, as my Acadien FIL will attest (DW's Grandmere would always refer to "les maudits Ecossais" - no offense intended, just quoting a bitter old lady).

But here in the States, we all know that Canadians are either Mounties or "Eskimos" (as we unthinkingly refer to those of Inuit origin down here:sad2:) and that Canada is all Moutains or icefields with maybe a cute Maritime seaside village (a la Anne of Green Gables) thrown in. But perhaps broadening my countrymen's minds is too much to ask, and a more comprehensive or representative pavillion might actually reduce attendence?

But really, the point is, Off Kilter really should broaden a little bit and play some realy Canadian music, especially Stan Rogers tunes! Wouldn't it be great if we could bring in some Quebecois or Acadien band too? and maybe a cold room to do some sugaring off (cabane a sucre)? Just dreaming here.

Off Kilter is from the USA. They aren't Canadian. I think they should get Great Big Sea and Stompin Tom up there sometime! That would totally rock.

I was also miffed that Le Cellier didn't have Rickard's Red, Creemore, or Keiths!

Yeah, we asked for Keith's too, with no luck. But we weren't really surprised, sometimes it's hard to find Keith's on the West Coast of Canada, so we figured Florida was too much to ask. ;)

I don't think GBS or Stompin' Tom would play in WDW (regularly, anyways) unless the money was really good. But I can think of a few other Atlantic Canadian bands that would be great there - Shanneyganock, Signal Hill, Pub Soda and Celtic Connection being some of my favourite lesser-known Celtic rock bands.

http://www.shanneyganock.ca/
http://www.signalhill.ca/
http://www.pubsoda.ca/

I totally agree that they should have a French Canadian or Acadian band play there also.

I never heard the fiddling group that plays in the Canadian Pavillion, but the Cast Member we talked to said they're pretty good, AND actually from Canada! ;)

I first of all could not believe how old the movie was compared to the other countries representation. I walked out of the pavilion thinking that other countries are going to think that we all wear flannel (really, are we all lumberjacks?), all have bad haircuts, and that the mounties are everywhere, not to mention the totem poles that must be conveniently placed everywhere throughout the country.
The movie itself definately needs a little updating. I couldn't believe that the represented the prairies as people who like the stampede and ride horses, or tend to the wheat fields. Hello! There is a country that is being robbed of it's natural beauty in a film that is clearly outdated. What about Banff, or Cypress Hills, NWT, and now there is a new Territory to add on.
I tried to find a t-shirt with a Mickey canadian flag, like they have at all the other pavilions, but could not, of course, but I could find a roots t-shirt, because we all know that we all wear roots all the time (I know, it is a Canadian company afterall).
Also, the beavertails place was closed the days I went there, and now because of the Mad cow thing, le Cellier isn't even serving AB beef, but don't worry, they have Moosehead. Not to mention a house wine that is from California.
Oh well, Oh Canada.
Just my two cents worth,
Jo

I think this is an overreaction. Its just disney and you shouldn't expect too much. Its very general and its meant to be. Btw, I actually find the thing about the band to be rather funny.

Though I've never heard of barrets Privateers either and I live in Alberta. Must be an east coast thing.

Originally posted by totalia
I've never heard of barrets Privateers either and I live in Alberta. Must be an east coast thing.

Doesn't surprise me too much. :) I'm someone who grew up in Alberta, and you have to admit that Alberta's not exactly the home of Celtic music. ;)

Almost anyone who's familiar with Celtic music would know it though - it's a very famous Stan Rogers tune, that's been covered by dozens of Celtic rock bands.
(And damn good to sing along to in a bar!) :drinking1

Check it out. The Stan Rogers version and the Irish Descendants versions are my favourites.

Did anyone visit the Telecom Canada Pavilion at Epcot 86 and see the circlevision film?

I took some Disney Imagineers around so that they could compare it to the Epcot film........... wonder what the outcome was? I think that the Epcot film is actually VERY early 80's based on the lack of development in the Coal Harbour shots of Vancouver!

EPCOT opened in 1982 and I assume the movie was there, so it must have been filmed in 1980-2 era. Let's see, Trudeau had just beaten Clark in a new election. Gretzky was still playing Junior A hockey. No SkyDome. A smattering of Tim Horton's, and Air Farce was still on the radio. And I think we only had nine provinces! :)

I figure I live here and know what the country is all about. So in the 15 years I have been going to WDW I have to admit to never going in the Canadian Pavillion.

However, I do enjoy the Beavertails booth..........
:teeth:

lisalj > I've never read so much history about the song - thanks for the link! :)

For anyone who wants to see/hear a video clip of the song, check out http://www.stanrogers.net/1warmlin.htm (they mentioned this on the link that Lisa posted, but you have to wade through the Stan Rogers website a bit to get there.)

OK, so reading this thread made me think about the pathetic state of my CD collection. The bookshelf has a pretty decent CanLit section in both English and French, but the CD rack is barren of Canadian content :eek: (kinda like the Canada pavillion at Epcot perhaps?:p ).

So a few moments ago, I logged on to Amazon and ordered me up a bunch of Stan Rogers and Stompin' Tom. It is important to me that my kids be exposed to this music, and perhaps we can sing them on longish car trips. I am sure my DD (now 4) will get a kick out of "Bud the Spud", my fav' Stompin' Tom tune. Now to find some Acadienne and Quebecoise music (well, just found some Harmonium, used, bought it; still need Acadian tho and maybe some Quebec fiddling or some Gilles Vigneault). 3 CDs is a start tho.

edited to add:I noticed we already had some K D Lang on the rack, so we have some Albertan music;); or at least music by an Albertan. And I am sure I've got some Ashley MacIsaac (everyone's favorite Punk/Folk Fiddler, woudn't he be fun to see at Epcot - but it ain't gonna happen) somewhere, so some representation from Cape Breton too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter