Sad Story from One Who Trusted without Checking!

I don't have time to read through all of the posts, but read the first few pages...I am so sorry this happened to you. How absolutely horrible. :(

Thanks for the update Dani. Still hoping for an eventual positive resolution for both you and Staci!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Dani, we appreciate the update and I agree with Granny that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I mean, how many of us have looked back at a situation and slapped our heads in frustration! That is life and we learn from our experiences - some experiences are just more costly than others. You and Stacy will remain in my prayers. You both seem to have a wonderful spirit and I know you and your families will get thru this.

Pixie Dust to you! pixiedust:

Great post JimMIA and extremely accurate. I wish I had concrete news to share, but nothing yet. Hope all are doing well, and I agree with Dani - the red flags were there, but I overlooked them due to the excitment of a possible trip. I won't do that again!!

StaceySaulino said:
Great post JimMIA and extremely accurate. I wish I had concrete news to share, but nothing yet. Hope all are doing well, and I agree with Dani - the red flags were there, but I overlooked them due to the excitment of a possible trip. I won't do that again!!

Stacey,
I know you're scheduled for this weekend...what's your status with that?? Are you guys going?

Hi, no unfortunatley we will not be going this weekend. With everything that happened we couldn't swing it at this time. Thanks for asking though. I do appreicate it. :wizard:

Sorry Stacey...Hope you've got some fun stuff planned for the weekend to keep you mind off what could (should!) have been. :hug:

JimMIA said:
But FarmerJohn is NOT a non-member. He is a DVC owner just like the rest of us, who happens to sometimes rent his points and is open-minded enough to realize that the MS change has adversely impacted his potential customers, will reduce his market, cause him a lot more work, lower his profit margin, and make renting much less attractive for both owners and renters alike.

Personally, I agree with the rule change, but I think FarmerJohn should be allowed to express his opinion without being criticized in such a condescending manner.

If in fact Farmer John is doing what you described above does that not sound alot like a commercial business. I don't believe that was what DVC was meant to be.

And just maybe DVC decided the changes would affect that.

Calling MS by renters was tying up phone lines that truly had no purpose. The confirmation is more than enough proof the reservation has been made. Actually speaking to MS did not guarantee anything more.

Sammie said:
If in fact Farmer John is doing what you described above does that not sound alot like a commercial business.
Not to me. In his post, he says he rented some points FROM another DVC member to get an 11-month window somewhere, and then rented some of his points (first and only time he's ever rented) to recoup his expenditure.

That sounds to me like the kind of rental opportunity we all are glad to have for unexpected situations, not a commercial business. I think all he's saying is that he knows if he ever gets in that situation again, he's going to have a much more difficult time renting.

As I said earlier, I happen to agree with the rule -- my objection was the tone of the comments made toward him without bothering to check any facts.

I just got done reading this whole ordeal. How horrible that this happened to you. I want to hank you for posting this though because I am wanting to rent points for our next vacation and now have some things to think about. I pray that the PP will look inside of herself and realize what she did was wrong and find a way to fix it for you. Lots of pixie dust pixiedust: being sent to you.

JimMIA said:
Not to me. In his post, he says he rented some points FROM another DVC member to get an 11-month window somewhere, and then rented some of his points (first and only time he's ever rented) to recoup his expenditure.

That sounds to me like the kind of rental opportunity we all are glad to have for unexpected situations, not a commercial business. I think all he's saying is that he knows if he ever gets in that situation again, he's going to have a much more difficult time renting.

As I said earlier, I happen to agree with the rule -- my objection was the tone of the comments made toward him without bothering to check any facts.

My comment was based on "your" description, not what he actually did. Was not aware of his situation, just your description of it.

I don't think contacting MS by the person renting is any safeguard. Probably the best safeguard of all was the willingness of Dani and Stacey to share their experiences.

[/QUOTE]
originaly posted by Sammie
If in fact Farmer John is doing what you described above does that not sound alot like a commercial business. I don't believe that was what DVC was meant to be.

And just maybe DVC decided the changes would affect that.

Calling MS by renters was tying up phone lines that truly had no purpose. The confirmation is more than enough proof the reservation has been made. Actually speaking to MS did not guarantee anything more.

Thanks JimMIA for sticking up for me
I am not running a comercial business if anyone looks back they will see that I rented points from an OKW member so I could get a Grand Villa at 11 months out for a family reunion trip; rented 255 OKW points so I figured I'd rent out my 250 BWV points to reimburse myself
This was My second time renting; first was when sister & brother inlaw could not come down with us at Easter so I rented the studio reservation I had made for them
With todays copying & printing technology it would be very easy for someone to make a very official looking fake confirmation
It would realy stink for a renter to go to the checkin desk with a bogus confirmation
being able to call and verify that the confirmation is in fact real and in your name can be somewhat comforting
As far as renters tying up the phone lines I doubt that I think it's that DVC has added so many rooms & not kept up with adding staff
just my $.02

Stacey and Dani - thank you so much for your continued updates. I just wanted to let you both know that I am still thinking of you and hoping for some kind of a satisfactory resolution for you and your families. :grouphug:

The reason I posted on this thread was to maybe help someone else from getting in the same terrible situation Dani & Staci are in
Just wanted to point out that MS phone policy is making it more dificult for a renter to confirm they actualy have a res. in their name before they send that payment to the person they are renting from
As far as checking on someones credability by the # of posts under their name doesn't necessarily mean much; can be a dis newcomer with thousands of posts , I mean saying "welcome home" a couple of hundred times could bring your post count up but how much has that poster realy said?
I consider myself a DISNEY veteran having 30 some odd trips to the "world" since my first time in Easter of "73 with my parents
I like to come here and read how people experience the same magic that I feel each time We go to Disney World though some call it LURKING
Being a construction worker I don't get much computer time & when I get home these beat up fingers are not very nimble at typing (one handed hunt & peck) so even though I've been coming here regularly for a long time I don't have a lot of posts to my name & I'm still considered (earning my ears)
just another $.02

Thanks JimMIA for sticking up for me
I am not running a comercial business if anyone looks back they will see that I rented points from an OKW member so I could get a Grand Villa at 11 months out for a family reunion trip; rented 255 OKW points so I figured I'd rent out my 250 BWV points to reimburse myself
This was My second time renting; first was when sister & brother inlaw could not come down with us at Easter so I rented the studio reservation I had made for them
With todays copying & printing technology it would be very easy for someone to make a very official looking fake confirmation
It would realy stink for a renter to go to the checkin desk with a bogus confirmation
being able to call and verify that the confirmation is in fact real and in your name can be somewhat comforting
As far as renters tying up the phone lines I doubt that I think it's that DVC has added so many rooms & not kept up with adding staff
just my $.02

John, no one said you were, Jim's description is what I would call a Commercial business and probably does not describe what you do at all.

I just don't think calling verifies anything and was tying up phone lines. It only confirms at that particular moment everything is fine, but that could change within minutes of calling. It is false security.

Another reason I was told that MS wanted to discontinue the phone calls as they don't want to give those renting the impression that Disney is anyway involved in the transaction. They had people upset with the Renting process and they had called to verify the reservation and in turn felt Disney should help them resolve it. This way they take a hands off approach. I don't have any problems with renting for personal use.

And you make a good point about posting counts, many do lurk for years and don't run up a high count and are very reliable members.

Holy crow! My hugest sympathies, and my worst nightmare! I look foward to hearing good stories of your resolutions!

Fingers double crossed here!

FarmerJohn said:
The reason I posted on this thread was to maybe help someone else from getting in the same terrible situation Dani & Staci are in
Just wanted to point out that MS phone policy is making it more dificult for a renter to confirm they actualy have a res. in their name before they send that payment to the person they are renting from
As far as checking on someones credability by the # of posts under their name doesn't necessarily mean much; can be a dis newcomer with thousands of posts , I mean saying "welcome home" a couple of hundred times could bring your post count up but how much has that poster realy said?
I consider myself a DISNEY veteran having 30 some odd trips to the "world" since my first time in Easter of "73 with my parents
I like to come here and read how people experience the same magic that I feel each time We go to Disney World though some call it LURKING
Being a construction worker I don't get much computer time & when I get home these beat up fingers are not very nimble at typing (one handed hunt & peck) so even though I've been coming here regularly for a long time I don't have a lot of posts to my name & I'm still considered (earning my ears)
just another $.02

I agree. I too am a "lurker" which I think makes it harder to rent my points. I think join date along with post numbers should be considered.

I've transfered points twice via paypal with no problem. Sorry to hear your story. Personally, I understand why the mods won't allow you to name names, but do not agree with the policy. It may save someone else the agony.

Beachangel said:
Personally, I understand why the mods won't allow you to name names, but do not agree with the policy. It may save someone else the agony.
In keeping with DIS policies, it's already been posted that no one is going to identify anyone here.

However, if someone is a prospective renter, and wants to run a name by me, you're welcome to do that.

I won't play 20 Questions, nor will I answer idle curiousity inquiries, but if you are involved in rental discussions with an owner, I'll be happy to tell you if you're dealing with this person...via PM or email only, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter