Sacred Valleys - July 12

sjlsk8r

Mouseketeer
Hi All-

My boyfirend and I are booked for the Sacred Valleys ABD trip in Peru leaving on July 12. I am so excited!!! I was just wondering who will being doing this trip with us this summer. We love meeting new people. We don't have kids, but are happy hanging out with people either with or without kids! Also, if anyone has done this trip before, I would love to hear tips, must sees, and suggestions of things to do on our own. We booked a pre-night so will have a day to explore before the trip begins. We are experienced travelers and willing to go off on our own if there are things not to be missed. Thanks!

Hi, sjlsk8r! Peru is definitely high on my list of must do's!

If you check out the Sticky at the top of this forum, I know a few people have posted Trip Reports there for this Adventure. Check them out!

Have a wonderful trip!

Sayhello

I have read all the trip reports I could find several times! Thanks to those who posted them!

I will post about the trip when we get back. The Peru trips start up again in June, so I hope to see some trip reports from those on June tours before we leave (hint, hint)!

Just checking again now that we are getting closer (less that a month) to see if anyone else is scheduled for Peru on July12. Anybody???

We are down to just one week until we leave and the excitement keeps building. Did anybody do any of the June trips to Peru who might have any last minute suggestions for packing or things to do in our free time?

We did a June trip two years ago. If you've been through the sticky, you've seen my report. You're going to have a wonderful time!

Do take a jacket or fleece pullover. It gets chilly at night there in June! Take really good batteries for your camera - the altitude eats the charge. We took Eneloops, per a Disboard suggestion, and were the only ones who could go a whole day without replacing batteries. If you like to do your hair/use a flatiron or curling iron, get one that can go on either current. The adaptors did not work for my flatiron. Take some aspirin. That mixed with caffiene worked really well to prevent altitude sickness.

I can't remember much else. This thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1853771&highlight=peru+tips had tips from me and others from right after our trips. HTH.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

And get ready for the trip of a lifetime!:thumbsup2

Thanks for your reply and your trip report-I have been through it a few times. I thinks we have the packing and planning under control, but I will contact you if we have any last minute questions!

My daughter and I are scheduled on the Peru trip that begins on July 26---anyone else?

Hope you have a great time, sjlsk8r----if you can, pls post a quick report upon your return so we can see it before we leave!!!!!

HI, My daughter and I are also on the JUly 26th Peru trip! Can't wait to meet new fellow travelers.

Hi. We're also going on the July 26 trip: me, my husband, daughter and son.

We're very excited!

The Peru trip is VERY high on our list of ABD trips to do--and we are planning for July 2011 (unless new trips come out that really bowl us over); we are very interterested in what the weather is like there in July, so look forward to your reports!!

Hi Adena and Phil!!!!!! We are getting so excited! Can't wait to meet you and your families! Some info about us:

--My dd is 10 yrs old and will be entering the 5th grade

--I'm a single mom and attorney

--We have been on ABD Costa Rica (2007), Germany (2008), and Alaska (2009).

--We are arriving a day early in lima (July 25); taking AA from miami

How about you all?

Some questions:

--are you giving your kids altitude medication?

--what are you planning re camera battery charging?

--are you exchanging money in the US before travel?

Just a couple quick responses to your questions, since our packing is about done. We are doing a pre-night, but actually arrive on day 1 at 4:30 in the morning. Therefore, we decided to exchange a couple hundred dollars ahead of time in case there is no where open at the airport to do this when we arrive. We took Kristilew's suggestion from above about the eneloop batteries. Hopefully, they work as well form us as they did for her. We will try to make a post as soon as we can when we get back!

HI, Gayleaboone, I am also on the July 26th trip to Peru. I am arriving the day before the start of the adventure on 7/2510, however my flight does not arrive until 10:30 pm. I am a nurse and my daughter is a teacher. I have been on two previous Adventures By Disney ,( Backstage Magic 2008 and Costa Rica 2009.) I have obtained a scrip from from physician for the Diamox as I sometimes have reactive airway problems from outdoor allergens. My daughter plans to just drink plenty of water, eat light meals and rest between increased elevations. I looked innto the Eneloop battteries but they are not campatible with my camera. My daughter plans on bringing two batteries since her boyfriend has the same camera. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Gayle, Phil,

Our dd is 9 and going into 5th grade. Our ds is 7 and going into 3rd grade.

We're also flying into Lima on the 25th for a pre-night. We're on the first AA Miami-to-Lima flight of the day.

We're bringing Eneloops, plus some adapters and a converter.

Our pediatrician did not recommend the altitude sickness medicine, Diamox, for our kids. Instead, he recommended that they take a children's multivitamin that has iron in it. We'll make sure they drink plenty of water, and we'll bring children's ibuprofen, too.

DH and I have prescriptions for Diamox and will probably take it starting the day we depart for Lima (two days before we arrive in Cusco).

We look forward to meeting you soon!

This is our first ABD. Kristilew's posts have been very helpful. Thanks, Kristilew!

Oh, we are going to have so much fun!!!!!

Our flight is AA 2383 from Miami on July 25, but we don't arrive in Lima until 11:30 pm. Maybe we can all meet on July 26? I'm hoping to get in a little sightseeing in Lima on the 26th as well. But I would like to talk to the AGs first so that we do things that will not be covered at any other time, and that they think dd will like. I know that dd will have fun at the hotel pool---the kids always enjoy that and bond really quickly at the pools! (the poor German resort guests just fled when our group would get back to the hotel after sightseeing and hit the pool)

Thanks for the info re altitude medication for the kids---I have filled the medicine for me, but my pediatrician would not prescribe anything for dd---seems like your pediatrician was of the same mind: iron vitamins, lots of water, advil......

btw, there is an Anthony Boudain No Reservations show re Peru circulating right now on cable (for the adults only---we know his reputation!) but it is somewhat interesting.

Has anyone read any of the recommended books? We got some from the library and bought some. I read "Sunflower" by the author who wrote the "Christmas Box"---not a great book and sort of romancy, but the setting was Peru and got me excited about the trip. Now I am starting some mysteries set in Peru (I found these by just searching the barnes and noble website...) I also read the Hiram Bingham book, and dd is enjoying "Secret of the Andes" by Clark, and "Step into the Inca World" by Steele (this one has lots of good crafts)

"We are doing a pre-night, but actually arrive on day 1 at 4:30 in the morning. Therefore, we decided to exchange a couple hundred dollars ahead of time in case there is no where open at the airport to do this when we arrive. "

Good idea re the money---we are arriving late as well, so I will exchange some money here in Dallas---it always makes me feel better---I have never regretted it. (once I arrived in Morocco, alone, at night, with no money exchanged; I should learn from this! )

Thanks!!!!

Has anyone sent in there certificate for the free Disney three day cruise yet? I fax'd my certificate yesterday and received an e-mail today already confirming the first date that I picked! I didn't think it woul be that easy AND the cruise is on the new Disnyt Dream!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter