Sabotage de la Diet - *9/10* Amish Grace

With wands in hand, we exited through the Owl Post. It’s the only covered respite in the Wizarding World, but keeping with the ridiculous theming, even a simple rest area is more than meets the eye. Yep, you will find owls up in the rafters, flapping their wings ever so slightly and hooting from time to time. And be sure to look before you sit, you may find a surprise!

Owlery.jpg

Before embarking on any more shopping, we stopped off at the Flight of the Hippogriff. For the walk-on that it was, it’s a brisk (20 second?) little rollercoaster. And don’t underestimate the power of a supposed kiddie coaster. Lengthen the track out, and I’d put it on par with the intensity of Space Mountain. Milder than most adult coasters, but kids…watch out! So, it’s surprisingly entertaining for an adult. However, if the queue were any longer than a walk on, I’d skip it. It was nice to see Hagrid’s Hut up on the hill, and Buckbeak makes a brief appearance before the lift. I wish I could have posed for pictures with him! Oh, and one other thing: you are allowed to bring bags and such with you on this ride, so had we done a little more shopping prior, it wouldn’t have been a problem.

Hagridshut.jpg

We could hear the Hogwarts quartet (sextet including two of the most grotesquely adorable frogs) singing just outside the castle, so I stopped to listen while the SO took more pictures of the surroundings. I caught the tail end of “Something Wicked This Way Comes” and a new song. The performers were soaked in their heavy robes (I don’t care what I read in regards to their lightweight design, these kids looked like they had swum the English channel), but blended beautifully; another unexpected gift from the Universal wizards.

Frogchoir.jpg

Our next stop was Zonko’s and Honeyduke’s, and another long line for both (they share a common space). Bah.

Honeydukes.jpg

Hogsmeade14.jpg

But the cast member waiting outside the door had a delicious sense of humor and even sported a British accent. Come to think of it, I heard a lot of that around. Most sounded bonafide to these Yankee ears, but maybe some were just getting in the spirit. A lot of us were trying to enter through the exit, and he said, “That’s the exit. You wanna leave so soon?” Maybe you had to be there, I thought it was a riot. Even on our way out, I asked if it was the right door to which he replied, “I’ll let you through just this once.” Here he is, standing in front of the Owl Post across the way:

Hogsmeade11.jpg

On the Honeyduke’s side, I was tickled by the design details – the circular staircase in the corner of the shop (from the books) – and sickened by the utter lack of space. Somehow, Universal managed to make the smallest, narrowest aisles known to humankind. There was more bumping, pardon me, and embarrassing hand placement than I’ve ever known anywhere. But oh what colorful candies! And a wall of fill-your-own-boxes of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. Chocolate frogs with wizard cards, chocolate-and-mint frogs in a jar, cauldron cakes at the bakery counter, the list goes on and on.

Honeydukes3.jpg

Over in Zonkos, one could buy all sorts of joke items that were either mostly original to the store or directly lifted from the books/movies. I bought a Sneakoscope, a chocolate frog, and some Every Flavor beans. I was this close to trying a cauldron cake, but couldn’t think of getting once more into another long line. I wonder if I could have ordered one of the Honeyduke’s bakery items from the Zonko’s counter on the other side. Oh well. But my mind was putty. Not so much due to that particular morning, but you have to understand that we’d been going 7 am or earlier every morning the entire week.

Following a stop at the Public Conveniences...

Hogsmeade4.jpg

...where I heard Moaning Myrtle clear as a bell from within the walls, it was back to Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods for some additional shopping. Despite the crowds, we were able to get in with more ease than any of the other shops. Again, it was the World of Disney of Hogsmeade at a whopping, I don’t know, 300 square feet? I kid. Not really. Ollivander’s on the other hand, was a wash. I knew we should have done it first, all the planning and reading had prepared me for that. But the kid within me got the best of my planning…and kicked it aside after whooping at the castle, the Butterbeer and the shops.

As soon as we wrapped up our final purchases, which included a Golden Snitch (could have bought a quaffle and bludger to go with it!), an amazing Marauder’s Map Mug (all relief and amazing), a Wizarding World T-shirt (see photo of the SO) and a slew of Grand Opening pins and other such things, we struggled down Hogmseade toward the exit. Or in this case, the entrance. Wish we could have entered the land that way, as it was intentionally designed to be entered. But I guess that will have to wait for a less-crowded visit.

Random shot of yours truly in front of Orlando's new castle (I think Cinderella has a timeshare here now. I tell you, DVC cannot be tamed):

BillinfrontofHogwarts.jpg

Random shot of Hogwarts express:

34274_406105071089_626146089_500653.jpg

There was one other thing that we both purchased before leaving, however, and that was the ubiquitous pumpkin juice. Have you guys seen the bottle/packaging for this? It’s like Trader Joe’s, except with uh, magic. The bottle has a little plastic pumpkin twist-off cap at the top, and if it weren’t 101 degrees right now as I type this, I’d go into further detail. But I’m swimming. I went for a walk during the first part of my lunch break. Three blocks in I thought… did I just vaporize? It’s all kinds of hot in New York right now. Like, Houston I’ll wrestle you for the win. Anyway, Pumpkin Juice tasted like ice-cold apple cider mixed with nutmeg and bits of pumpkin pulp. Absolutely refreshing and so counter to the usual summer snack-cart libation; it was kinda like Christmas in July. Since the bottle is a similar color to the drink, I had no idea the SO had secretly decided against this one, too. At least he’s consistent right? I wish he’d told me though, because by the time I’d found he’d barely touched it, the contents were boiling. So, two butterbeers for me, one pumpkin juice. And one boiling pumpkin potion for Snape, who, by the way, was nowhere to be found in all of the Wizarding World. Nor Minerva McGonagall for that matter. Licensing schmeisensing, I say. A Harry Potter land without Miss Jean Brodie and Alan Rickman is in dire need of expansion. And I’m sure it’ll bleed into whatever that next land is to the WWofHP's right at some point. No picture of pumpkin juice, but I kept the bottle so I'll include a photo in my next installment.

All in all, it was hard to pull ourselves away from Hogsmeade. But the sun at this point was stronger than in Fantasia’s Rite of Spring sequence where the dinosaurs collapse into extinction. I watched blissfully from afar as more and more lemmings marched joyously into the castle. I wondered if they were well-equipped for the greenhouse that lay ahead. Remember when FastPass was first introduced and not everyone got the memo that it was included with admission? Hordes of irate people stood in the standby lines, foaming at the mouth as countless people swooshed past. Some of whom laughed and gloated, saying “fastpass fastpass!” in that sing-song manner, like they’d won the lottery and were banishing standby to their own personal limbo. Yeah, I was one of those twits. I can’t abide it in others, but I’ll admit, it was highly uncharacteristic for me…but I did it a few times. Someone once answered my “fastpass” with “pass gas?” Ah, the good old days…life was so simple then. Scattered pictures.

Anyway, the suckers in the greenhouse? Ha ha! Well hey, once you put your time in, Forbidden Journey is kind of a secular barmitzvah of sorts. Make it through that greenhouse (or the Jungle Cruise queue) and you’ve graduated to adulthood. I’m sure that once the lines outside the Wizarding World start dwindling, the outdoor portion of the queue for the attraction itself won’t feel quite so draining. June doesn’t help. Or opening week. So, choose your battles.

Inside5.jpg

Poor.

35422_406104591089_626146089_500647.jpg

Devils.

35422_406104586089_626146089_500647.jpg

With wands in hand, we exited through the Owl Post. It’s the only covered respite in the Wizarding World, but keeping with the ridiculous theming, even a simple rest area is more than meets the eye. Yep, you will find owls up in the rafters, flapping their wings ever so slightly and hooting from time to time. And be sure to look before you sit, you may find a surprise!

This looks very cool!! Love that they did such a great job with the theming!

We could hear the Hogwarts quartet (sextet including two of the most grotesquely adorable frogs) singing just outside the castle, so I stopped to listen while the SO took more pictures of the surroundings. I caught the tail end of “Something Wicked This Way Comes” and a new song. The performers were soaked in their heavy robes (I don’t care what I read in regards to their lightweight design, these kids looked like they had swum the English channel), but blended beautifully; another unexpected gift from the Universal wizards.

My son once played "Something Wicked This Way Comes" for a piano recital. Memories, light the corners of my mind . . . Loved your reference!

Random shot of yours truly in front of Orlando's new castle (I think Cinderella has a timeshare here now. I tell you, DVC cannot be tamed):

Hey, I could use a DVC add-on!

Remember when FastPass was first introduced and not everyone got the memo that it was included with admission? Hordes of irate people stood in the standby lines, foaming at the mouth as countless people swooshed past. Some of whom laughed and gloated, saying “fastpass fastpass!” in that sing-song manner, like they’d won the lottery and were banishing standby to their own personal limbo. Yeah, I was one of those twits. I can’t abide it in others, but I’ll admit, it was highly uncharacteristic for me…but I did it a few times. Someone once answered my “fastpass” with “pass gas?” Ah, the good old days…life was so simple then. Scattered pictures.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

More excellence in trip reporting! Try to stay cool!:goodvibes

My son once played "Something Wicked This Way Comes" for a piano recital. Memories, light the corners of my mind . . . Loved your reference!

Aww! And oh yes, I can't believe I've gone this many pages without mentioning Barbra.

Hey, I could use a DVC add-on!

:lovestruc

Lori, I swear... if I'm ever to break my 12-step DVC...problem, will you be my fairy godmother?

More excellence in trip reporting! Try to stay cool!:goodvibes

Thanks for being part of my TR cheerleading squad. It keeps me going. :cloud9:

Okay, your description of how crowded it was - a jello mold?! You nailed it, my friend. I haven't been there but I have experienced crowds like that before and you painted a vivid picture.

Thank you! Not that it had anything on my morning commute, but for a theme park...I've never experienced anything like it.

I liked what you said about the lack of branding at the Wizarding World. Though I don't mind what they do at Disney. I guess it's just because I'm into the business side of things and I get it. But when i'm there, I don't even notice or get affected by it at all, but I can totally see it would ruin the Hogsmeade mood.

It has greatly affected my WDW experience. I don't like constantly being sold various franchises and whatnot (Princess, Pixie Hollow, DVC, etc.) everywhere I turn. If I'm at Downtown Disney, and someone wants me to take a look at timeshares, I'm game. If I'm in Fantasyland, and someone wants to sell me on a Pixies or Princesses, go to town. But when I'm trying to explore Animal Kingdom, and I'm sold all three? Doesn't work for me. The "Disney Parks" thing is cost-effective, but it really depreciates the individuality of the various resorts. And last but not least, when did the resort TVs become 90% Disney product commercials and 10%, uh, TV? I know I'm a captive audience but...

So fun to read your descriptions! We were at Harry Potter there the week after grand opening as well, but were one of the privleged hotel guests. Thus we had a competely different experience. Both days we were there we stayed from 8-9 and then hightailed it out of there about the time the public came in. It's interesting to hear that even with all of the long waits you still felt the magic. It really is an incredible area and you are exactly right about how the merchandising (or lack therof) makes you feel like you really are in Harry Potter's world. And we dropped a pretty penny so it's not like they are losing anything by not having the Coke and the lanyards. Interested to hear more.

Thank you for reading! I wish I had done the hotel thing, it would have saved a lot of time I'm sure. Oh and I'm sure those butterbeer sales make up for the lack of coca-cola!

Your writing style is wonderful!

popcorn::

Thanks for reading our adventures! :goodvibes

Great updates about Harry Potterworld!

Feel free to post all of the pictures if you want to I am curious what the queue for the ride you talked about looks like.

I am so jealous you got Butterbeer! That's really the only reason why I want to go there :laughing:

Also awesome reference to Golden Girls I am a huge fan!

Oh no, now I may have to throw in more Golden Girls references per square...pixel! ;) And I'm with you 100% on the butterbeer... Because of my widely publicized dislike of Universal, I think that may have been the clincher in getting me interested in the Wizarding World when it was first announced. I'm sure I would have gone at some point... but the butterbeer? Totally worth it!

A lot of the pictures we took in the queue did not come out very nicely, but I'll post a few below. Oh but first, I arranged some of the swag I picked up on my dresser and snapped some blurry photos:

Pumpkin Juice bottle and Butterbeer stein (Ariel sold separately)

photo1-1.jpg

Ollivander's wand, Chocolate Frog from Honeydukes, and Golden Snitch from Dervish and Banges

photo3.jpg

And now, more from the Forbidden Journey queue:

Entrance into Hogwarts

EntryarchwaytoHogwarts.jpg

The One-Eyed Witch

Inside3.jpg

Godric Gryffindor (if I'm misspelling these names, I'm sure the SO will soon let me know)

Inside7.jpg

Salazthar Slytherin

Inside9.jpg

The House Points

Inside8.jpg

Legalese/Warnings made to look like Ministry of Magic decrees

Inside4.jpg

One of the baby mandrakes in the seventh circle of hell known as the greenhouse

35422_406104611089_626146089_500648.jpg

Moving portraits (there was an unbelievably designed overlay on the portraits which gave them the illusion of real, cracked oil paintings. Truly an Imagineering-level execution

Inside11.jpg

Entrance to Dumbledore's/Headmaster's Office

Inside10.jpg

I promise you that there are more photos I haven't uploaded, but the interior ones just didn't come out properly. Next time!

I leave you with two photos of the main entrance to Hogsmeade/The Wizarding World

Entrance1.jpg

Entrance2.jpg

Oh, and one more storefront

Hogsmeade8.jpg

And the snowman

MoreHogwarts2.jpg

And one more rooftop... for good luck

Hogsmeade5.jpg

:goodvibes

WAIT! I neglected to tell you about the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang (I know I screwed up those names.. I must have). They gave a little performance whilst I was in line for the Butterbeers. The SO snapped a photo. I think the casting here was top-notch, I'm sorry I missed it:

Beauxbaton.jpg

And last but not least, a full vista of Hogwarts Castle:

MoreHogwarts.jpg

I swear that's it for now! :wizard:

People shouldn't swear... because here's another.

This, I promise you is the last. Another view of Hogwarts, this time from the Jurassic Park side

35422_406104601089_626146089_500647.jpg

Okay, phew! TTFN.

I love Harry Potter! So totally dug the HP photos. Love your writing style , I do ALOT of reading as im working on my masters in english literature, and even after alll the reading I've done I don't mind coming to read your TR!

Ok so I have been dragging my heels but I have just caught up :goodvibes

Fab updates and photos yet again :worship:

I just can't wait to try a Butterbeer :cool1:

Those pictures are wonderful! Now you've gone and made me want to get down there NOW, even though I've promised my husband we'll wait a year or two . . .:rolleyes1 I will definitely need a pumpkin juice bottle and a butterbeer stein!

Oh, and I've always wanted to be a fairy godmother!;) You keep working on that 12-step DVC. . .problem!

Your souveniors look amazing! I love the Pumpkin Juice bottle!

The queue looks awesome! Now I am disappointed that I am not going to Universal next month :laughing:

The street performers there look awesome between the choir and the rival schools it seems like Universal really got the Harry Potter thing down. After hearing bad things about the new World I am surprised by how impressive everything looks.

Ok so I have been dragging my heels but I have just caught up :goodvibes

Fab updates and photos yet again :worship:

I just can't wait to try a Butterbeer :cool1:

Thanks Linda! And now that you're caught up, I still have to go back and flesch out the first 5 days that I had originally written as dining reviews. It's gonna be confusing and link-ridden and out-of-sequence. Agh! :scared1:

Those pictures are wonderful! Now you've gone and made me want to get down there NOW, even though I've promised my husband we'll wait a year or two . . .:rolleyes1 I will definitely need a pumpkin juice bottle and a butterbeer stein!

Oh, and I've always wanted to be a fairy godmother!;) You keep working on that 12-step DVC. . .problem!

All I can say Lori is DON'T GO DURING THE SUMMER! Not that you would, I mean, you're my DVC fairy godmother now. Thanks for keeping up with the insanity. :)

Your souveniors look amazing! I love the Pumpkin Juice bottle!

The queue looks awesome! Now I am disappointed that I am not going to Universal next month :laughing:

The street performers there look awesome between the choir and the rival schools it seems like Universal really got the Harry Potter thing down. After hearing bad things about the new World I am surprised by how impressive everything looks.

It's all about the Pumpkin Juice bottle right?! They just did it so... perfectly! I love the wand, too, but can't figure out where to put it. It's not my speed, but it's sooo cool. The bottle on the other hand, looks perfect as part of a bookshelf tableaux. I do try.

And yes, the street performers are beyond perfection. I hope Universal is able to maintain this in the future. Thanks for reading!

I love Harry Potter! So totally dug the HP photos. Love your writing style , I do ALOT of reading as im working on my masters in english literature, and even after alll the reading I've done I don't mind coming to read your TR!

You are too sweet, glad to give you a break from Chaucer and Thomas More! :upsidedow Thanks for spending the time to read the report!

Loving your TR! :thumbsup2
My daughter (PrincessCaitlin) told me I had to check out your TR and she was right, it is a lot of fun! Loved your pictures of Wizarding World! You got some great shots :)

Looking forward to more!

It took me a bit to track you down, you sly devil!:laughing:

Your DR/TR has kept me laughing, I can't even begin to reference all the lines that made me shout with laughter - scaring the dog! I did, however, especially like your question "did I just vaporize?" :rotfl: Too funny, and I can relate, we live in an area with high summer temps combined with ferocious humidity.

Can't wait for your next installment.:hourglass

Looking back through the front archway to Hogsmeade was both exhilarating (we could breathe), and sadly disorienting (we didn't know up from down). I know I’ve said it ad nauseum, but as a fan of the books it exceeded my expectations. On a Universal level, which had hitherto been low to non-existent, and on a Disney level, which is the highest one can seek to achieve on a theme park level. I’ll go further and say that the Wizarding World was just as exciting to visit as any real city. I really don’t mince my words, at least I try not to. Take into consideration the excitement of opening weekend, the fact that it was a new thing for me to do/see in Orlando, and the reality that Universal could indeed surprise me, and maybe the experience would be different any other time I visit. But I will now need to schedule a visit over to Islands of Adventure on my return trips to Walt Disney World, and that’s like, wow.

Continuing to stare at the front entrance, through to Hogwarts in the distance, we noticed that the crowds had thinned out considerably. This was surprising, but we didn’t really give it any mind. The SO stopped at the first drink stand outside to get a water (if you recall, he didn’t have anything in the hot sun for hours and hours save for one sip of foam and one sip of pumpkin pulp). I didn’t drink any real water myself, but I wasn’t thirsty, so I skipped out. And where were we anyway? The Forbidden Casbah or some crap. It all looked nice, but really, after Harry? Soon we wooed ourselves of the post-Wizarding World haze (which was made up mostly of residual humidity from that greenhouse. I know, I know, I’ll stop) and started walking.

I really couldn’t tell you what we passed, because it’s a blur. I do remember a big banner for Mythos restaurant from the Theme Park Insider, calling it the #1 Theme Park Restaurant in the country. Damn, I didn’t make a reservation. Oh, and as you’ve probably guessed, the Three Broomsticks wasn’t in the cards. Three hour wait, my friends. See? Another reason to go back. Even as I type this, I seem to be taking on the mindset that afternoon. We were beat. Beat, I tell you. The culmination of 6 OCDiser days (I can’t bring myself to say commando, so OCDiser it is) and the high flying exhilaration and exhaustion of the day thusfar led to… well, we could have been mind-controlled at that point. You said “jump”, we’d say “are you kidding?” Wiped out. I knew it, the SO knew it, and yet we pressed on. I wish we had said something to one-another, because it could have saved a few hours of strange nothingness. Don’t forget that we were lugging all that Wizarding World swag. And I remind you that we went all morning without water. I just rose and crashed on various wizarding sugar drinks.

After the Casbah land, which didn’t seem to have much going on, we were on Seuss Island. I love Dr. Seuss, I’ve even been to his house in Springfield, MA, and the land was brilliantly designed. A lot better than that Seussical: The Musical that played Broadway eons ago. But I guess Rosie O’Donnell as the Cat in the Hat should have been my first clue. Anyway, we stopped to ride the Trolley in the Sky with the sneetches. Love the sneetches. Then it started to thunder. As soon as we made it past the entrance, the not-cast member told us to come back in a bit, it was probably a passing thundershower. So, we went to the gorgeous book store. Is that every kindergartner’s dream or what? I showed SO my all-time favorite Seuss book, The Butter Battle Book. We read it from cover to cover as it thundered outside. Thankfully there weren’t many people in the store with us, maybe three others? So we sat in a little nook by the window and read about the Cold War.

As soon as the storm let up, and we’d leafed through The Lorax (LOVE that), we tried again for the Trolley. Nope, not yet. Hmm. The area looked deserted, so we kept walking. The wait for the Cat in the Hat was 45 minutes. What? Okay. Then we heard the coasters across the way resume operation. Might as well try the Trolley in the Sky again. We’re inside the building, walking up the circular ramp thingy, and then the voice of God tells us that the ride has been temporarily suspended. Most people stay were they are. The SO and I have had it, and start walking down. I heard one guy say “Well as soon as they get back down it’ll start up again.”

They were right. But enough back and forth, the Sneetch Train was not in the cards. Do you know in all my years of Disney, I’ve never encounted inclement weather-related suspensions? Maybe it’s because most of their rides are indoors, or I’ve had good timing. Probably a little of both. Even the TTA isn’t really outdoors.

Now neither one of us had eaten since that Apple Bran Muffin, and didn’t really feel the need to due to the heat. But the second I caught a glimpse of the Green Eggs and Ham sign I got uber-excited. You see, during my last visit to Islands of Adventure (January of ’09), it was closed. But now it was summer. And not just any summer, but the summer of Potter.

Guess what? It was STILL CLOSED. BAH! Double-BAH! I wanted to eat there, Sam Am I.

Alas, no green ham or planes or Sam I Am. So we pushed forward toward Marvel Island. The SO’s a DC fan. Still, I told him that Spiderman was a must-do, and it had been on our list to begin with. It’s not that we didn’t have every reason to enjoy IOA, it’s just we were zombies without a cause. And I was very surprised at how resistant the SO was to the place. But again, Universal fans, I remind you that we were toast. But we didn’t leave because we didn’t know the other was toast. Spider-Man it is.

The wait was 90 minutes. I guess everyone else had made it out of Harry Potter as well. We thought on this and got in line. 10 minutes later, I called to schedule the Mears return shuttle for three hours later. But this line wasn’t moving. So, we walked out. I know, this report has got to be dull. It gets good.

We leave Marvel Island and head on over to Cinnabon. The SO decides enough is enough and its time to eat. Even sticky cinnamon rolls in 100 degree weather works. Whilst waiting for cinnabons, a group of teenagers spot our Harry Potter merchandise, and ask us all about it. I forgot to mention that this was happening everywhere. But this discussion is of particular note. You see, when they asked how long the line was to get on the ride we answered 90 minutes. That’s what the sign said right there across the plaza (this sign kinda like the one in Future World that tells you the usual Soarin: 75, Ellen: 5). And I recalled that the wait time was similar when we had left. So then the boys ask if there was a wait to get into the land.

And we said no! Oh those poor kids. We didn’t see any line on our way out of Hogsmeade remember? And the crowds had thinned? Nonononono. That was only an exit. But neither of us remembered any signs or security or crowd control of any kind. Granted, we were zombies. But not 10 minutes after the boys were en route to Hogsmeade, a not-cast member near the attraction times sign was telling guests that the wait to get into the Wizarding World was 4 hours.

“There was no line! And hey, the ride’s only a 90 minute wait. Have fun guys!”

Need a place to hide. The van doesn’t arrive for a while now. Quick, back to Spider-Man. There’s a single rider line. We got on. Saw a cockroach on the stairs. Are we on the right ride? The ride goes down. A few guys swish through followed by a few burly guys most assuredly un-swishy. The lights flicker. Then we start moving. Not much of a single-rider line, but I’m sure it was better than waiting standby. I was sorry the SO had to miss out on the well-themed queue. I remember it taking something like 10 minutes just to walk through it in the off-season when it was empty!

The attraction itself is still worth the price of admission to IOA. I rode with a very responsive group (I think they were French Canadian, if my accent detection was working, not that it makes one extra-responsive or anything… but it’s fun to be excited and scared in French, I guess) which made the experience all the more fun. But like everything in Universal, they like to make throw water at you. I don’t care if it’s a flume ride or a flying bench. I’m sure the Sneetch Trolley ride pours water on you. Fire and water. The elements are a favorite pastime of the Universalmagineers. And I won’t lie, Spider-man is intense. But it’s one of the only rides that keeps me guessing in terms of just “how they did it”. Granted, I’ve ridden it twice. That could be part of it. And it scares the heck out of me. I’m easily frightened.

I’m getting my eighth wind at this point, and decide it’s time to snack on something. Or maybe I should start feasting on brains. Full-on zombie. I set my sights instead on the nearest sugar cookie (what else?) from the French bakery (is it French) on the corner of not-Main Street U.S.A. There were no seats available inside or out, and I watched a few guests take their trays outside...on a pathway to nowhere. Maybe they wandered to Green Eggs and Ham. My cookie was crunchy, and for crunchy cookie fans, bon appétit. That’s all I’ll say. Oh now, Universal, it isn’t your fault. Disney just reared me chewy. And I didn’t finish the cookie.

Back to the entrance, but first, a stop in the shop on not-Hollywood Boulevard for any additional Harry Potter merchandise. Boo to them, because I didn’t have to drag much of my swag around after all. There it was – a lot of it. Thankfully no wands. But I could swear they had remembralls and golden snitches and key chains and magnets there. Bah. But word to the wise, you can do some of your shopping here. On an unrelated note, I found the most adorable plush of Puss ‘n Boots from Shrek. I turned to show it to the SO saying “isn’t that adorable” but found myself saying it to a complete stranger. She sniffed. Why do people going to Universal or at Universal sniff at me? Well sniff to you.

Is Woody the Woodpecker still popular?

And it was out the gates that we never had to wait in front of, across the bridge to PromoZone (I still think it’s called CitiWalk), along the moving walkways to the Port Authority Bus Station, and down the escalator to the Los Angeles Mall Parking Lot. We waited at parking space 45, I believe, and we were soon on our way.

Now remember, had we done Harry at the start of our vacation rather than the end, I’m sure we could have survived a full-day at IOA. So, no disrespect is intended against Universal or anything. With that in mind, the second we pulled back onto Disney property, the SO grabbed my hand and whispered “thank God.” Did I raise him right or what?

But the day was still new, the night wasn't even young yet, more coming in the next installment! Oh please say I drank some water.

I am enjoying your report so much. You are hilariously descriptive :lmao: & I am loving it.

Jiko & CG are my 2 faves too!!!! Going to Jiko for a belated anniversary dinner in August when I am tagging along with my DH to a conference at CSR.

Planning a trip just to see WWoHP in January with my DH & my Mom--we are all HP fans. It looks amazing & I am hoping that thing die down by then crowd wise.

Why for heaven's sake did you guys not drink any water or eat any protein at Universal??????? Good lord no wonder you were zombies.

Loving your TR! :thumbsup2
My daughter (PrincessCaitlin) told me I had to check out your TR and she was right, it is a lot of fun! Loved your pictures of Wizarding World! You got some great shots :)

Looking forward to more!

Thank you! Of course I wouldn't have all these photos without the SO, so I'm glad I was able to exhibit them. :woohoo: I have to read you and Caitlin's trip's report as soon as I'm done with this. :headache: That was for March, wasn't it? Oh no, I'll never finish!

It took me a bit to track you down, you sly devil!:laughing:

Your DR/TR has kept me laughing, I can't even begin to reference all the lines that made me shout with laughter - scaring the dog! I did, however, especially like your question "did I just vaporize?" :rotfl: Too funny, and I can relate, we live in an area with high summer temps combined with ferocious humidity.

Can't wait for your next installment.:hourglass

Glad you were able to find me... I move around from time to time! :moped:
It's DIS'ers like you that keep this baby going, and boy is there still a lotta ground to cover. Recounting those last few hours at IoA had me flashbacking to zombiehood.

You rock!

Oh Mrs. Spratt, you rock!

I am enjoying your report so much. You are hilariously descriptive :lmao: & I am loving it.

Jiko & CG are my 2 faves too!!!! Going to Jiko for a belated anniversary dinner in August when I am tagging along with my DH to a conference at CSR.

Planning a trip just to see WWoHP in January with my DH & my Mom--we are all HP fans. It looks amazing & I am hoping that thing die down by then crowd wise.

Why for heaven's sake did you guys not drink any water or eat any protein at Universal??????? Good lord no wonder you were zombies.

Thanks for reading, glad you're enjoying! And Jiko moves up a little further every trip... it may eclipse CG soon. Have a wonderful time next month.

And as for Harry: I honestly don't know what happened that morning. I got caught up in the lines, merchandising and wizard sugar drinks. And we forgot about food, much less protein! Sure, bring on the carbs... more sugar! The SO was a lot smarter than I in terms of hydration, but really... those cinnabons? I still can't understand how he ate those in that weather.

Looking back through the front archway to Hogsmeade was both exhilarating (we could breathe), and sadly disorienting (we didn't know up from down). I know I’ve said it ad nauseum, but as a fan of the books it exceeded my expectations. On a Universal level, which had hitherto been low to non-existent, and on a Disney level, which is the highest one can seek to achieve on a theme park level. I’ll go further and say that the Wizarding World was just as exciting to visit as any real city. I really don’t mince my words, at least I try not to. Take into consideration the excitement of opening weekend, the fact that it was a new thing for me to do/see in Orlando, and the reality that Universal could indeed surprise me, and maybe the experience would be different any other time I visit. But I will now need to schedule a visit over to Islands of Adventure on my return trips to Walt Disney World, and that’s like, wow.

Oh, that is huge!! I have to make sure that first visit is a good one so the not-so-much Potter fans in my house enjoy it as much as the die-hard fans do.

The culmination of 6 OCDiser days (I can’t bring myself to say commando, so OCDiser it is)

Love it! If you don't mind, I'm going to adopt OCDiser. Not so much a fan of commando, either.;)

After the Casbah land, which didn’t seem to have much going on, we were on Seuss Island. I love Dr. Seuss, I’ve even been to his house in Springfield, MA, and the land was brilliantly designed. A lot better than that Seussical: The Musical that played Broadway eons ago. But I guess Rosie O’Donnell as the Cat in the Hat should have been my first clue. Anyway, we stopped to ride the Trolley in the Sky with the sneetches. Love the sneetches. Then it started to thunder. As soon as we made it past the entrance, the not-cast member told us to come back in a bit, it was probably a passing thundershower. So, we went to the gorgeous book store. Is that every kindergartner’s dream or what? I showed SO my all-time favorite Seuss book, The Butter Battle Book. We read it from cover to cover as it thundered outside. Thankfully there weren’t many people in the store with us, maybe three others? So we sat in a little nook by the window and read about the Cold War.

Love Seuss. Takes me back to reading them to my kids (sniff, sniff, they grow up so fast . . .)

We leave Marvel Island and head on over to Cinnabon. The SO decides enough is enough and its time to eat. Even sticky cinnamon rolls in 100 degree weather works.

It's NEVER too hot to eat sticky cinnamon rolls!:cloud9:

I turned to show it to the SO saying “isn’t that adorable” but found myself saying it to a complete stranger. She sniffed. Why do people going to Universal or at Universal sniff at me? Well sniff to you.

:rotfl:I can't tell you how often I do this! I really need to pay better attention. . . anyway, how dare she sniff at you!!:eek:

With that in mind, the second we pulled back onto Disney property, the SO grabbed my hand and whispered “thank God.” Did I raise him right or what?

Good job!!:thumbsup2

But the day was still new, the night wasn't even young yet, more coming in the next installment! Oh please say I drank some water.

Oh, Billy, please get some water. I'm heading to the fountain right now, this report is making me parched. Can't believe you had any energy left after Potter land!

Oh .... here you are! You moved and apparently I can't read the BIG letters at the top of the dining thread! Thanks so much for the great photos! I can't wait to take my boys now. Don't you know my hubby is going to be thrilled :rotfl:

Lori

It really was an incredible experience, guys. But I just CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH the need for everybody that plans to go to get there as early as humanly possible. Billy and I got there at 8 thinking the park opened at 9, but the queue to get into the Wizarding World was already almost through Jurassic Park.

But I'm telling you...as a mega major HP fan, nothing could have prepared me for how immersive and well done the whole thing is. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter