S.O.S. We planned a trip 6 days before arrival! We're crazy and need your help! T minus 3 days!!!!!

True there are wonderful cheat sheets for planning your in-park touring, but if you're looking for the recommendations on which park to go to on which day, those are gone.

Kenny the Pirate and UnderCoverTourist post park/day recommendations. The two sites sometimes contradict one another, may be worth a look for you though!
http://www.kennythepirate.com/crowd-calendars/
https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Yes, you can mention Josh's site. He's here every now and then giving advice, but not as much as he used to since he has his own discussion board.

Yes, one hour should suffice, but that does mean leaving your resort 30-45 min before THAT time. If you think it's getting too close and a bus hasn't come, call for an uber. It's quick and not very expensive.
Thanks!

First of all, don't worry about a thing. You're gonna have a great time. I once planned a trip with 30 minutes notice in mid summer. Living 9 hours away from WDW, my wife and I decided about the trip at 5pm, left at 5:30pm and drove half way. Arrived late morning the next day. What did I learn that might be of service?
1) Go with your instincts when it comes to planning which park on which days. You have hoppers so if you run into a crowd just hop on out of there. Seems like MK is usually the problem, but YMMV. As for Disney Springs, it is an enjoyable shopping experience if you're into that sort of thing. We typically spend an evening there during any WDW trip

2) Why not go to EMH hours? If you're night owls (like us) it's always a good chance to linger and take things at a slower pace, and hopefully catch a few rides with shorter lines. I tend to avoid EMH mornings because it's just too darn early after all these years. Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. For all things there is a season, and my season of early EMHs is over for the most part.

3) Pandora is very well themed. Flight of Passage is probably the best ride on property. If you get a chance to swing by Pandora after dark it is worth doing so. I'll let other folks sell you on the food. Rivers of Light (night time show at AK) is a very chill experience. Don't go into it looking for spectacle and you just may be glad you saw it.

4) I hate to break it to you, but several things you may remember at DHS are no more. It's still a fun park though. We spend partial days there. Over at Epcot be sure to catch Soarin'. The new film is nice. This probably sound cuckoo but if you are at Epcot and trying to rest for a little while check out the Pixar/Disney Short Film Festival. No new shorts but the presentation is pleasant.

5) As for FPs, you will get a surprising number of headliner FPs. Oh, and account for the fact that some attractions that formerly did not have long queues now practically require an FP (ie Haunted Mansion)

6) I have always found dining pretty easy to handle on short notice except for at the most crowded times. There have been several occasions I have gotten lunch ADRs for Be Our Guest a day before the date, once even on the same day. It just requires a bit more checking and work on your app. One more recent QS option I recommend is the Geyser Point Bar and Grill at Wilderness Lodge. It's a beautiful setting and a delicious meal. We had lunch there but I also hear good things about their breakfast.

Most of all, R-E-L-A-X... it's going to be a blast. Those short-notice trips are the best IMO

1) I forgot about this during our 2014 trip, but it seems like with the new FP system, it's a little easier not to have to wake up early. So we will see. And we have loved all the iterations of Downtown Disney, so we are so very excited for Disney Springs! Trying to figure out what food to try there.

2.) We'll probably d0 early EMH's if we don't get any avatar fp's, and possibly on our last day to squeeze in extra fun. Late ones always seemed really late to me, but during this season they are much much earlier so maybe we'll try one.

3.) Right now my main priority at night is the new fireworks show at magic kingdom. And you have reminded me I must see Pandora at night!!!

4.) My s.o. loves TOT, RRC so we'll still head there for those (I don't ride them). And he also loves 50's so we might try to get an ADR there. So excited for the new Soarin! (Will I need to rope drop for this?)

6.) I wrote down the grill!

Yes, you can mention Josh's site. He's here every now and then giving advice, but not as much as he used to since he has his own discussion board.

Yes, one hour should suffice, but that does mean leaving your resort 30-45 min before THAT time. If you think it's getting too close and a bus hasn't come, call for an uber. It's quick and not very expensive.

We were in the parks last week; and last Thursday, we called (texted? summoned? requested?) an Uber at about 6:15 am (at the Contemporary) and were in the car by 6:30. We were waiting in line at AK by 6:50. When the gates opened at 7am, we walked with the herd of people to the Pandora area but stopped at stanchions right in front of the Tiffin's restaurant, that were dropped at about 7:15. We were at the beginning of the actual line (where the clock is) by 7:25 and by 8:05 we had rode FOP and were at the ride exit. Our Uber was about $20. The park had a posted opening time of 8am.

We were in the parks last week; and last Thursday, we called (texted? summoned? requested?) an Uber at about 6:15 am (at the Contemporary) and were in the car by 6:30. We were waiting in line at AK by 6:50. When the gates opened at 7am, we walked with the herd of people to the Pandora area but stopped at stanchions right in front of the Tiffin's restaurant, that were dropped at about 7:15. We were at the beginning of the actual line (where the clock is) by 7:25 and by 8:05 we had rode FOP and were at the ride exit. Our Uber was about $20. The park had a posted opening time of 8am.

Excellent execution. This may now be our exact plan for Pandora :-)

So excited for the new Soarin! (Will I need to rope drop for this?)

You have to decide how you're going to do EP. Did you score an FP+ for the Tier 1 rides? If not, and TT and Soarin' are on your must do's, you have choices.

The addition of the third theater at Soarin' keeps the wait time from building as quickly. So I would probably rope drop TT and then head to Soarin'. However, you can use the single rider line at TT, so you could rope drop Soarin' and then head to TT and use the single rider line.

Definitely do EMH morning at MK, it is so worth it, you can get many headliners done in that hour, I.e., 7DMT, Peter, and Space. It seems like the one you get the most bang for getting up early, the next morning one that is important is AK, you should be able to get both Pandora rides done in that hour, then head to other parts and those areas will be quiet. Get to AK at least 45 minutes before the EMH and it should be fine. We have been able to do FoP, River ride, EE, Safari, and Dinosaur all before 10:30am.

I'm very excited for your last minute trip! Add me to the list of folks who think you'll do pretty well with the FPs and ADRs. You might check out the Touring Plans reservation finder. It's free (though the small fee for a one yr subscription is nominal) and it seems to work well. Looking forward to hearing how things work out for you. If I were in your shoes I'd have an adrenaline rush for the next few days. :earsboy:

there's a good thread here about using the app same day to refresh and get FP on the day you're in the park...combine with rope drop(or an hour before) you should be fine

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing last minute planning....
I am planning to rely upon the app. It helped me a great deal last time I went as far as getting to rides with the least wait.
Dinner ressies are a different thing...

You have to decide how you're going to do EP. Did you score an FP+ for the Tier 1 rides? If not, and TT and Soarin' are on your must do's, you have choices.

The addition of the third theater at Soarin' keeps the wait time from building as quickly. So I would probably rope drop TT and then head to Soarin'. However, you can use the single rider line at TT, so you could rope drop Soarin' and then head to TT and use the single rider line.

After listening to everyone's wonderful advice, I've been a planning and whistling while I work. I was able to get a soarin' FP woohoo.

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing last minute planning....
I am planning to rely upon the app. It helped me a great deal last time I went as far as getting to rides with the least wait.
Dinner ressies are a different thing...
Since I posted this thread, and listened to all the wonderful advice, I've been doing very well with planning. The app is definitely magical. Also, I forgot this from our last trip, but the new FP+ really changes the way one needs to tour. Before going to the recommended day by day park was really important to me, whereas now, since we have fast passes, it feels a little more go with the flow. You're going to have a great trip!

I'm very excited for your last minute trip! Add me to the list of folks who think you'll do pretty well with the FPs and ADRs. You might check out the Touring Plans reservation finder. It's free (though the small fee for a one yr subscription is nominal) and it seems to work well. Looking forward to hearing how things work out for you. If I were in your shoes I'd have an adrenaline rush for the next few days. :earsboy:
it's definitely a whirlwind! Thank you for your kind thoughts, happiness and positive nature. We now have a very loose outline in place, with a few fast passes, and the one dinner reservation we really wanted, morimoto in DTD. We're really excited about our hotel and plan to spend much more time there than we normally do when we stay at disney. We've been blessed to stay at wonderful locations, but now that we're a little older we're excited to enjoy more of the grounds, and do less rushing around the parks. The only thing I'm still wearing my pajamas inside out for is a FOP fast pass.

Definitely do EMH morning at MK, it is so worth it, you can get many headliners done in that hour, I.e., 7DMT, Peter, and Space. It seems like the one you get the most bang for getting up early, the next morning one that is important is AK, you should be able to get both Pandora rides done in that hour, then head to other parts and those areas will be quiet. Get to AK at least 45 minutes before the EMH and it should be fine. We have been able to do FoP, River ride, EE, Safari, and Dinosaur all before 10:30am.
MK has EMH AM hour on our last day, so we'll probably do it then to sneak in some extra magic. At the moment we plan to EMH AK to be able to do FoP and river ride. EMH that day is at 8, so our plan is to get an uber at 6:15AM. Is this necessary or will there be a bus that early? I didn't think so since the park doesn't open until 8, so I figured the earliest bus would be at 7 and we would miss that 45 min- 60 min early arrival time that is essential for getting on FoP.

MK has EMH AM hour on our last day, so we'll probably do it then to sneak in some extra magic. At the moment we plan to EMH AK to be able to do FoP and river ride. EMH that day is at 8, so our plan is to get an uber at 6:15AM. Is this necessary or will there be a bus that early? I didn't think so since the park doesn't open until 8, so I figured the earliest bus would be at 7 and we would miss that 45 min- 60 min early arrival time that is essential for getting on FoP.
I know the bus does pick up around 6:30 am, if you are nervous you can always Uber. If you are there by 7am it should be good.

Oh, I'm envious of your last minute trip and especially your resort choice - I LOVE POFQ! Such a beautiful and relaxing place to stay.

I agree with others who advised that an early arrival at AK is key for getting on FoP without a long wait in line. It is also definitely a must in my opinion to see Pandora at night!

We ate at the new outdoor bar/grill at the Wilderness Lodge during our last trip and really enjoyed it. It's very relaxing with good food!

Have a WONDERFUL trip!!

As horrible as it is for everyone, with the East Coast storm, I’d say you have a good shot at scooping up some nice last minute cancellations, so I’d just keep trying.

If you want someone else to really lay it all out for you, you could always pay for the TP subscription. I think it’s $13 for a year. Not necessary, but it has some nice features some planners enjoy. You can use their premade touring plans, or make customized plans very easily. You simply tell TP which attractions and restaurants you want to go to, and they give you a down to the minute plan. They tell you how long you’ll wait at each attraction, and if you should try to get a FP for a specific ride and time. They even tell you the weather for each day on top of the crowd predictions and planning help.

As far as things that may be new to you, there is the Frozen show at HS, the Frozen ride at Epcot, meet-n-greet with Olaf, a ton of new Star Wars stuff (shows, meet-n-greets, and attractions at HS), the Void virtual reality SW themed game in DS, a Stitch Christmas themed scavenger hunt game at DS (last day for it is the 7th), Pandora has been mentioned, new show SpectacuLAB at Epcot, Muppets show in MK, Pixar Short Films at Epcot, and a Preview of Shanghai Disney at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter