Ryan Homes

Denine

I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny
Anyone ever built a house with them? How was your experience?

There is a large section of Ryan homes in my development and they are so cheap looking compared to the MI Homes section that I bought in.

We have had two of them. When ever you build, you have a few things to correct before and after move in and at the one year mark. No serious complaints here. :D

You can identify the Ryan homes in our development because they look cheap on the outside. They are all still standing, so I suppose that they are OK. Our house was built by a group that splintered off of Ryan homes. There were at least a couple of builders who did that. Heritage Homes and American Homes (both of which I believe are no longer in business).

Every builder cuts costs one way or another. I suppose that the fact that Ryan is still in business is a good sign.

I've heard bad things about the quality of Ryan Homes. Nothing specific, just things I heard from people who built with them.

Towncrier - Ryan Homes were banned from Ohio for a time.

I have 2 friends who live in Ryans that are about 15 years old. All of the houses in her development need a new roof or new windows or both.

Like I said my brother built with them last year and is happy. However I bought a new house from a local builder and my dad noticed many things that were better quality than my brothers Ryan home.

If you go with them, be very cautious and ask a lot of questions. :)

I used to work for Maronda Homes and Ryan was the competition. As with anything, you'll have the good and the bad. I agree with Towncrier, at least they're in business! The people who built our house went out of business b/c so many people were pressing lawsuits. Always a good thing. ;) 25 years later we're still finding things wrong with our house! Anyway, I hope you have a good experience with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks again. We haven't decided anything yet. We are still looking.

Hi Heidi.

Hi Denine! I currently live in a Ryan home that was only 10 months old when we bought it. Although I love the layout, I do notice where some corners were cut. However, some of them may have been cut by the original buyer, not the builder. Things like drafty windows/doors, creaky floor boards and shotty wooden hand rails/stairs leading outside are things we've been dealing with the last 2 yrs we've been here. Would I buy from Ryan again? I guess it depends on the price. I think you can find better quality in NE Ohio, especially with the number of houses being built in the Avon/Avon Lake area.

BTW, where in NE Ohio are you located?

Heather, thanks for the info. We are in Strongsville and are looking at Berea or Brunswick Hills. We are also considering a small local builder called Willow Wood. If we went with them, we can stay in Strongsville. Avon is pretty, but too far from everything for us.

Denine & Heather I didn't realize you were both in Ohio! :)

My brother built his house in Lorain. The lots there are VERY small. My friends neighborhood is in Stow, near Akron.

Nice to meet you NE Ohio friends! :)

I have a Ryan townhome that was built 5 years ago. The minor issues I have I think I would've had with any builder.

I did find it nice that I could add or delete some options. Getting the appliances for $50 was a nice plus (an option they offered at the time). We opted to have the morning room bump out and deleted the finished basement because we did not like their layout. Five years later, basement still isn't finished, but when I go into my neighbor's basements, I'm glad we didn't!

In my neighborhood (planned, yuck), there were initially six builders. One of the other townhome builders did a horrible job. I would look out my back window at the other townhouses and see siding coming off of them, six months after being built! It wasn't a big surprise that half of them were still unsold after they were done. My block had all houses sold before being built and a year later, there were still 2 empty houses on that block.

Good luck with your house hunting!

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne. We have looked at getting the morning room. We also talked about having them finish the basement. What is wrong with the basements of those that had them finished?

Denine,

There really isn't anything *wrong* with them, it's just that the layout wasn't going to work for us. My husband was planning on setting up a recording studio (he has all the equipment) and the layout wasn't going to work without carving a big chunk out of the middle of the basement.

I'm so glad we got the morning room! We opted for the country kitchen and it is great. I can cook or putter in the kitchen while hubby or kids watch tv (or vice versa) and we're all in the same room. It's also great when we do have company, I can get a meal ready and still be part of what's going on.

Hope that helps you out!

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter