• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Running for my Disney - Now a PTR!

Good news! :cool1: :cool1:

Thats good news:woohoo: Cant wait to see photos of you with that shiny medal.

More good news this morning - my legs are still in pretty good shape :thumbsup2 I really can't believe it given how much trouble I was having with them last week. A little pre-Disney pixie dust perhaps?

Wow, that's a lot of hours lost in transit. At least though he will pass many of them in peaceful slumber enjoying the comfort of business class.

Congrats on doing so well with your run. If you can achieve such a great time on hills, you will find a flat surface run a breeze.

35 hours? :rotfl2:

He showed me pictures of the business class in Cathay this morning. Kind of jealous now :rotfl:

At the end of the day though, especially before a weekend of running, I'm pretty keen to minimise my travel time. And I can't complain too much, I'm still going business class too :thumbsup2

I finally have another outfit ready :thumbsup2 I'm really gonna have to get moving on these! Only just over a week to go now, and only one weekend!

Here's Mum's Tigger costume for the 5k.

I tacked some black material over her blue sparkly visor, which can be removed easily once the 5k is done.

I'm not thrilled with the ears, but they'll have to do, sorry Mum :rotfl:

Mum's just going to bring a plain black pair of tights, and we'll look out for some orange sports tape at the expo that we can use to add some stripes.

Cute outfit. Great news on the running front - looking forward to seeing pics of you and that medal too. I have to say I think your DH is barmy - those business class hours on a plane could be spent cuddling up to you in a first class hotel..but anyway...each to their own!

Cute outfit. Great news on the running front - looking forward to seeing pics of you and that medal too. I have to say I think your DH is barmy - those business class hours on a plane could be spent cuddling up to you in a first class hotel..but anyway...each to their own!

Despite the fact that we are both flying business class, this is actually quite a low budget trip :rotfl: DH's flights only cost us about $400. And about 230,000 points :scared1:

Personally I can see both sides. Most people would see flying as a necessary inconvenience to get to their holiday destination. DH is definitely counting these flights as part of his holiday experience. With a lie flat bed on each flight, plus lounge access at each airport, he should be quite comfortable and well looked after. Plus, business class in Cathay is a whole lot better than on Fiji Airways. I'm kind of jealous :rotfl:

Having said that, flying for 2 nights and 2 days does not sound that appealing to me!

Wow it's been getting very busy! I've kind of neglected my PTR, and will have to start neglecting other people's PTRs and TRs too :rotfl:

Since posting Mum's Tigger outfit, I have added some black glitter to the ears, just to bring out the stripes and give her a bit of bling. She's going to wear an old pair of black shorts that we are going to paint orange stripes onto as a mother/daughter bonding activity the day before the run :rotfl:

I've nearly finished my cheshire cat outfit. Ears are done (and seriously blingy). I've attached streamers to one half of my shirt, just got the other half to do now (that will probably make more sense when you see photos :rotfl:). Then just a couple more head accessories and some bowties.

I've made more dining reservations. We've now got:

Saturday 30th August: 11:30am Blue Bayou
Tuesday 9th September: 8:30am Storytellers Cafe
Thursday 11th September: 12:30pm Carthay WOC package

I think I've decided to ditch the tour idea altogether and re-visit the F! dessert package. My only issue is with leaving F! until the last Sunday night we have at Disneyland (because that's when my birthday is). Do you think I should book it for the Saturday night instead? So we can have a back up plan if it's not running due to weather etc? I assume if they cancel F! you get your money back for the package, but we would need another opportunity to see the show since it will only be on weekends at that time of year. I won't bother to book it until I arrive anyway, so it may depend on availability only being a couple of weeks out.

In other news, Dad and DH have both decided that they really want to see a baseball game in the US. With our busy schedule for that first week and a half, I didn't know if I'd be able to fit one in for them. I certainly don't want to take away any park time DH has, since we're already paying for a 10 day pass that we'll only get 3 days use out of. However, I remembered on the half marathon thread there was a lot of discussion about whether they would or would not be running through Angel Stadium because there's a home game on that afternoon, so I did a bit more research on that. There was a Groupon deal for that game that was about to expire, so I just did it. Hopefully the boys will be happy.

I refuse to sit at a sporting event for 3+ hours, so Mum and I will probably use that time to go shopping. We'll have the rental car by then, so we can drop the boys off at the game then go to a nearby mall. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. We'll pick them up when the game finishes and go directly to Palm Springs (I had planned on taking the scenic route over the mountain through Idyllwild, but we won't have time for that now). We'll still get to see the mountain and views though when we do the aerial tram.

I also finally booked my airport shuttles. Found a 10% off coupon for SuperShuttle, so managed to save a couple of $$. Now that DH has locked in his flights, I should probably book his too.

The house/pet sitter has confirmed that she is still good for next week. Now we just need to clear out the spare room so she has somewhere to sleep :rotfl: Unfortunately the main bathroom is still mid-reno, so she'll have to shower in our ensuite.

I think that's about it for now. I've started throwing a few more clothes in the 'suitcase' pile, but I'll start packing for real over the weekend. Need to get a few last minute supplies from the supermarket/chemist too.

sounds like you are doing really well! My old rowers method was meths on blisters pre race but it's not the nicest method.

Jealous of the business class but I think you will need it. We have booked a skycouch to try and help the sleep factor of longhaul

sounds like you are doing really well! My old rowers method was meths on blisters pre race but it's not the nicest method.

Jealous of the business class but I think you will need it. We have booked a skycouch to try and help the sleep factor of longhaul

I'm getting there!

I don't think blisters will be a problem. Nothing a bandaid can't fix anyway :thumbsup2 Which reminds me, add bandaids to my packing list...

At this stage I'm pretty glad I'll be able to put my feet up for the majority of my flying time. I'll also be wearing the compression socks the hospital gave me when I had my gall bladder out. Hopefully between those things, my legs won't suffer too much from the flying.

I think the skycouch is great :thumbsup2 When I was making enquiries about it earlier this year, the lady on the phone warned me that it is not a bed. That's actually ok for me. If I can put my feet up, I can get comfortable enough to get some sleep. If not, I'm restless for the whole flight and not a chance of any sleep!

I think the skycouch is great :thumbsup2 When I was making enquiries about it earlier this year, the lady on the phone warned me that it is not a bed. That's actually ok for me. If I can put my feet up, I can get comfortable enough to get some sleep. If not, I'm restless for the whole flight and not a chance of any sleep!

Good thing I'm not expecting a bed then, more that the kids can lie down and hubby & I can take turns stretching out a bit.
:goodvibes

Sounds like your outfits are all getting to the finishing line. :thumbsup2

Love the ADRs. And good luck with F!.

I finally finished my Cheshire Cat outfit for the 10k! It doesn't look that much, but hand-sewing takes such a long time!

I'll make my Piglet ears next, then the costumes for the girls will be all finished :thumbsup2

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I've signed up for a whole heap of US restaurant email newsletters and joined the Landry's club. Most send some sort of voucher for your birthday, so for me, it was well worth doing. Landry's cost $25 to join, but you get a $25 voucher straight up, then another one for your birthday, so I'll end up $25 in front there. Earl of Sandwich send you a voucher for a free brownie when you sign up, and another voucher of some description for your birthday. I also signed up to Patina Group and The Cheesecake Factory. I'll just unsubscribe from all the lists when I get home ;)

Congrats on finishing the CC outfit.

I have friends that have signed up for the different dining cards as well. I think the Landry card seems to be the best value. Enjoy the card benefits!

Great idea about the cards.
Because we will be eating 90% of our meals inside National Parks and on Disney properties, I'm not sure how much use I would get from doing the same thing. But it's definitely worth checking out. Small savings are better than none. :)

Congrats on finishing the CC outfit.

I have friends that have signed up for the different dining cards as well. I think the Landry card seems to be the best value. Enjoy the card benefits!

The Landry card was the only one I had to pay for, so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I figured we'll probably go to the Rainforest Cafe at least once though and shouldn't have any problem using up $50 there :thumbsup2

Great idea about the cards.
Because we will be eating 90% of our meals inside National Parks and on Disney properties, I'm not sure how much use I would get from doing the same thing. But it's definitely worth checking out. Small savings are better than none. :)

All of the restaurant chains except for The Cheesecake Factory include at least one restaurant in Downtown Disney, which will probably be where we do most of our dining. With such a short time at DLR that you have, I probably wouldn't bother as I don't imagine you'll have a lot of sit down meals. The Earl of Sandwich one might be worth signing up for though since it's free and might be a good quick option for food in DTD :thumbsup2

The final outfit reveal... my Piglet costume.

I'm not going to bother putting up pictures of the guys' costumes since there's not really much to them. You'll just have to wait until I put up pictures of race day ;)

Right. Off to finish DH's hat, then get my suitcase organised :eek:

Hi Zanzibar,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your run! I've enjoyed following along your journey. I admire you guts and determination to pursue this goal throughout the various set back and challenges you have experienced. I think most people would have given up. I truly hope you have a fantastic time. All the heartache will be worth it when you cross that finish line and have the fabulous runDisney medal placed around you neck.

I too had to deal with injuries leading up to my Dopey run, but the feeling when I achieved my goal was so amazing. Can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Hi Zanzibar,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your run! I've enjoyed following along your journey. I admire you guts and determination to pursue this goal throughout the various set back and challenges you have experienced. I think most people would have given up. I truly hope you have a fantastic time. All the heartache will be worth it when you cross that finish line and have the fabulous runDisney medal placed around you neck.

I too had to deal with injuries leading up to my Dopey run, but the feeling when I achieved my goal was so amazing. Can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Thanks MickeyD :goodvibes I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter