• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Running a swimming pool pump ?????

we run ours between 6 and 8 hours- depends on how much we swim
it is on a timer- couldn't remember to shut on and off

I like to swim with it on- so we run ours in the day

by the way- we hook our outside Christmas lights to this plug- lights go on around 5 and go off at midnight!

call the electrician now!:cool1:

Can you tell me more about this Nature cartridge system? We just moved into a new home with a 27' round above ground pool. Still learning all the ins and outs!

And we've basically been running the pump during the day, off at night.

The cartridge fits into a holder that is connected to the filter and the cholrinator. The water goes thru the mineral filter cart and into the pool. We replace the cartridge every 2 years and it's just been aesome. If you google it you can probably find more information on it than I just gave you:rotfl: I don't know exactly how it works but I all I can say is that is sure does a great job and we have saved a ton of money!

OT, but I love your signature Aprilvaca04...12/50/54 Mike Vrabel is my absolute favorite NFL player!! :love:

:thumbsup2

:rotfl: That's funny because we just love Jacoby too...we were lucky enough to have him up here in Portland playing for the Seadogs...he's just awesome!!!::yes::

We run ours 8 hours a day also, 15x30 inground. That was what was recommended. We also have a natures 2 cartridge, but were told to replace every 6 months. We really don't know what it does besides it is supposed to make us go through less chlorine. We don't use much at all so guess it is working, but at $140 a pop not sure it is worth it. We have never had to balance the pool or anything, shock at most 3x a year.

We have an inground 16 x 32 pool and we run the pump 24/7.

Our pool is old, probably 40 years or older (it has been refurbished) and it doesn't have a bottom drain like most of the newer pools. When I don't filter, leaves and dirt sink to the bottom and just lay there.

We have a 15x30 above ground with sand filter. We used to run it 12 hours a day. We are trying this new product this year called Sustain (still chlorine) and we only need to run it 4-6 hours. So far it is crystal clear.

This is interesting.
We run our pump 24/7. The pool store recommended this - in fact, they seemed shocked that we were trying anything less. We had tried leaving it on just during the day when we first got the pool (about 10 years ago) and it just didn't work.
I don't know anyone who doesn't run their pump all the time.
Maybe it's just our area? It's really humid here and algae grows well...:confused3

We have a 15x30 above ground and hubby runs our pump during the day for about 8 hours. Has been doing that for 15 years now. Our water is crystal clear. :thumbsup2

our pool is a 20x40 inground==

I switch the pool on about 3pm and let it run till about 9pm ( 6 hours) and our pool is cystal clear-- for us the key is too change the diamataous earth regularly

How we determined how long to run our filter for was to cut back on the hours the filter runs until we noticed the pool becoming yucky which in our case was around 6 hours, then we bumped it up. Everything is on a timer, pump, chlorinator, cleaner, lights, spa, etc. This was suggested by our builder.

If we ran our filter for 24/7 our electrical use would go from ~$25 per month to around $75, plus we would have to backwash the filter more often, and the pump would probably have to be replaced sooner. The Polaris pool cleaner does a good job of cleaning debris off the bottom. But we do have to run it longer when there is rain or a lot of wind.

The builder suggested the following maintenance routine

Daily - Check Chlorine- Adjust if needed
Brush Pool
Empty Skimmers
The in pool cleaner runs M,W,F.

Weekly - Brush and Vacuum
Backwash if needed
Check Ph, and other chemicals, adjust.

Monthly - Have chemicals checked by a pool store - needed to keep it under warranty.

Out of season we cover the pool with a solar cover and leaf net, run the filter for about 2 hours a day, unless the freeze protection kicks in.

Most times it depends on how many gallons your pool is. We are in NJ and have no shade on our pool ever! It's about 22x40 feet and is 29,000 gallons. We have a gunite inground pool. When our pool company did the pool indoctrination they told us that we needed to run the filter 12 hours a day based on the number of gallons our pool is so the water is properly filtered. Our water is usually around 88-90 degrees without heating. :cool1:

You may have to do some math based on your filters output of gallons. The number of gallons of water is much more important than the sizing when you calculate the filtering. I do think 24 hours is excessive.

There are a number of factors that make a difference in how long you run the filter (I used to work for a pool manufacturer/pool store)

We run ours 24/7 to keep the water clean and clear. That is what we have found works best for us.
The main thing is that you need to make sure the water in your pool is being 'turned over' at least once in a 24 hour period of time.
The HP of your pump as well as the size/gallon capacity of your pool determine how long this takes.

We live in an area where the heat/humidity make it very easy and quick for molds and algae to grow in the water. Keeping the chemical balance correct and turning over the water through the filter is very important.

If you can keep your water clean and clear by running your pump less than 24/7 then adjusting it accordingly is great and a money saver.

Most pool professionals will tell you they recommend the 24/7 running of the pump for optimal performance.
I would love to run ours less, but we found that doing so meant spending more on chemicals and maintenance, so 24/7 is what we do.

Sue Ellen

I came back on this thread and was just about to mention pump size! We upgraded our pump when we bought our pool. I'm sure that makes a difference on how long we have to run the pump. We also run it longer when it is really hot for a long extended time. Of course, more people are in it during those times, too.

While you always want it to be mixed up with swimmers... too many swimmers will make you have to run the pump more for cleaning.

If you want to extend your swim season w/ warmer pool water, run the pump during sunny times with a solar cover on. I have gotten to as high as 84 degrees already in a partially shaded pool. I just learned this trick at the end of last season and can't believe I can actually get my water temperature up by as much as 5 degrees in 1 day.

We have started to run our pump for more time during the day now because it is so hot. It has been over 100 for a week now and the temperature of our pool is 90 degrees. We have absolutely no shade near the pool either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter