Running 8 miles around Poly / GF

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
My DH is training for a marathon, and while he will not be doing any long runs in the 4 days we're at WDW, he does need to do 6-8 miles 3 of the days we are there around 5:30 - 6:30 am. Seeing that the Poly - GF trail is so short, is there a way to run somewhere else (that has sidewalks)? He was asking if he could run safely to the Wilderness Lodge and Cabins area, but I don't think there are sidewalks towards that direction. Or is there a hidden route I don't know about. What do runners staying at Poly / GF do? Or could he take a bus at that time from the TTC to somewhere with a long train. TIA!

There aren't sidewalks leading to Wilderness Lodge. Running along the roadway would be hazardous.

If he ran around the GF grounds and the Convention Center area and then on to Poly to TTC, he can add on some mileage that way.

The best loop is at the Boardwalk/Epcot Resort area but he would need to take a taxi at that time of day. It may be easiest for him to work out on a treadmill in the resort gym.

Agree with above best loop is epcot/Boardwalk. However you can add miles from a poly/GF route by running in the parking lot of magic kingdom. From the poly you can get to TTC and then run in the parking lot. It is boring but you can absolutely get the miles in. I know I have done it.

Head to Wilderness Lodge and run the exercise/bike trail between there and Ft. Wilderness... and then, run through Ft. Wilderness.

WL-FWC-BikePath-100609.gif

FtW-EWS-WL-Parkg_062512.jpg

Robo love your maps. Agree as well about WL/FW loop. I always stay at FW now and have no problems getting long runs in at the fort!

At that time in the morning I have run from the GF through Poly to the TTC, then took the road from the TTC to the CR and on to the MK without trouble. Roads aren't that busy that early in the morning.

Is this his first marathon? I've only run one, but the walking at Disney is enough he shouldn't stress about missing some running. Now if he has big goals, I can understand the need to run.

Is this his first marathon? I've only run one, but the walking at Disney is enough he shouldn't stress about missing some running. Now if he has big goals, I can understand the need to run.
That's exactly what I said: "Isn't all that walking around the parks enough training?" It's his 10th or 11th marathon, so no excuse there! I think he just really loves running and it's his zen time off from the craziness of the parks. Next year, I'm booking us into a moderate. That way he'll have plenty of space to run around.

At that time in the morning I have run from the GF through Poly to the TTC, then took the road from the TTC to the CR and on to the MK without trouble. Roads aren't that busy that early in the morning.
Interesting. How hard was this with the traffic?

1. There aren't sidewalks leading to Wilderness Lodge. Running along the roadway would be hazardous.

2. If he ran around the GF grounds and the Convention Center area and then on to Poly to TTC, he can add on some mileage that way.

3. The best loop is at the Boardwalk/Epcot Resort area but he would need to take a taxi at that time of day. It may be easiest for him to work out on a treadmill in the resort gym.
1. That's what I thought. The trails around FW and WL are indeed very nice, but getting there from Poly really early may be difficult.
2. I'll tell him to include the Convention Center area.
3. He does like the Boardwalk Epcot resort area, going to DHS. Trying to find something a little closer

Agree with above best loop is epcot/Boardwalk. However you can add miles from a poly/GF route by running in the parking lot of magic kingdom. From the poly you can get to TTC and then run in the parking lot. It is boring but you can absolutely get the miles in. I know I have done it.
He did this in 2010! Wondering how many crazy runners are in the TTC parking lot doing laps. Trying to find something more scenic, but yes, that would be an easy way to get his miles in.

Head to Wilderness Lodge and run the exercise/bike trail between there and Ft. Wilderness... and then, run through Ft. Wilderness.
Robo, love your maps! Is there a way to walk/run from TTC to CR?

For 6-8 miles I would take the trail in the map in post 8 and then use the roads parking lot to get over to WL and then run the trail over to Ft. Wilderness to get in my miles. The traffic early isn't too heavy to get in a run, juts make sure your husband is properly illuminated. I run on the roads at home and they aren't any less busy then they are at Disney.

If he is going to he doing multiple runs on vacation I would make at least one of them a run around the Baordwalk and down to DHS ans back. You can do multiple looks and even head up to Buena Vista Dr. from the connector trail and back down the other side.

I still get in morning runs a few times when I'm at Disney even with the walking. It just isn't the same and if you are training you have plenty of miles in the legs to do both.

Robo, love your maps! Is there a way to walk/run from TTC to CR?

Thank you.

That would not be a safe thing to do.
Often LESS traffic can be more dangerous than MORE traffic.
Remember, that road is the prime access for CMs, buses of all sorts, supply vehicles,
and most dangerous of all... GUESTS driving in unfamiliar territory while SIGHT-SEEING!
Some of the more frequent and tragic traffic accidents at WDW have been on that road.

Stay off of the roads.
It's not worth it.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I said: "Isn't all that walking around the parks enough training?" It's his 10th or 11th marathon, so no excuse there! I think he just really loves running and it's his zen time off from the craziness of the parks. Next year, I'm booking us into a moderate. That way he'll have plenty of space to run around.
Yeah, as a runner it is about the running, not the training. I run every morning when we go to WDW. I get it. But I try to limit my mileage to 3-5 miles/day so I can enjoy the parks with my family. I am able to maintain my running fitness without stressing my legs or feet.

There are also some great running routes out by OKW and SSR, out to DTD.

I am running a half marathon in December and schedule myself a week off (next week yes!!) at Disney - I might get one run in od 3 to 5 miles.

At this time of the morning it will be pretty easy to run - I would worry about the tunnel to CR myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter