Runners UNITE! We've graduated C25K, so let's keep on going!

Well, if it helps any, I have been working on building up my distance. I just ran 8 miles, and the first 3 were easily the hardest to get through. It all takes time, but the more you run, the better you get at it, there is no question of that. For myself, I find that having a race on the schedule really keeps me on track and gives me something to focus on, a reason to get out there and stay out there even when I don't feel like it, but of course that isn't true for everyone.

I'm glad your injury has healed up!

First of all......

:eek: :eek: :eek: HOLY COW, CORINNA!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Look at those miles, girl!! How awesome that you completed 8 miles!! :woohoo: I'm with you, my first few miles are always the hardest on my long runs. I'm SO excited for you guys getting ready for the 13k. :banana: Please humor me with some pics and lots of details when you get back. :goodvibes

Kat - Honestly, no idea where Maguire is, but I've heard of it. :laughing: I'll meet up with you somewhere or you guys can certainly come hang at our house and the kids can play. :thumbsup2

ADG - CONGRATS on starting the c25k program! :cheer2: It's really great that you and your DD can go through this together. Good luck, and keep us posted!

redheaded momma - welcome! :yay: Congrats on getting back out there! I'm nursing a sore hip right now, and am benched until I see the ortho dr. I can't wait to get out there! Take care and make sure to rest in between runs, and not push it too hard until you're sure your ankle is good. As far as wanting to run - I don't know. For me, whenever I am "able" to run, I don't want to. But as soon as I "can't" run, then I want to. :rolleyes:

Nothing to report from me....I see the ortho 10/26 and am anxious to hear what they have to say. My dr. got the preliminary results from my xray and everything looked fine. :thumbsup2

Kim, I am almost as shocked as you are, believe me. I think I seriously underestimated what I would need to do to get ready for the race when I picked my October goal. psst - I actually ran OVER 8 miles. I stopped at 8.1, but was almost mile away from the car and it started raining harder about 5 minutes after I slowed to a walk, so....I ran some more. Who wants to walk in the chilly rain? :rotfl: I would not have gotten through it so well without a baggie of jelly beans, though. Yup - not even the "sport beans" I economized and just brought along regular old jelly bellies. I looked at the "sport beans" at the grocery store the other day and couldn't tell what made so much different from regular jelly beans. :confused3

I'm glad your x-ray came back as normal, but really, that doesn't help with getting things fixed, does it? Hang in there - you'll be back to not wanting to run before you know it, I bet. ;)

Hi all. I have a question. I am in my 5th week of c25k and today was my third workout. It called for brisk walking for 5 min. and then run for 20 minutes straight. I did a Leslie Sansone 3 mile walk video this morning, because it was raining. Well tonight, I did the run while my daughter was at piano practice. Well about 30 minutes after I finished (here comes the TMI part - remember I warned you ;) :lmao: ) my digestive system exploded. Is this normal? I spent quite a bit of time in the potty. :eek: I was just wondering if I overdid it or what. The same thing happened after the 5k I did a few weeks ago.

I did not eat before her piano practice, and I haven't eaten since because I haven't felt like it. I may eat something a little later.

I hope I didn't gross anyone out.:confused3 I just want some feedback on what might have caused this, or it may just be a fluke. Hey I probably lost some weight though. ;) :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Allie,
This doesn't happen to me, but I have read threads here and probably on coolrunning.com about this very topic. I don't think you are alone. They do say that one of the things that can help with the opposite problem - things not moving along well enough - is activity, so I guess it figures that it could get you moving too much, too. It could be an acclimation thing as well - it may reduce as your body gets used to the activity? If it persists, a visit with your doctor to discuss the issue would be warranted. I'm sorry I don't have any further suggestions for you, except to eat binding foods? Bananas, rice, cheese?

OH, and I totally forgot to say:

party:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You finished the much dreaded week 5, day 3!!!! I think that was the hardest one mentally for a lot of us. Great work!

OH, and I totally forgot to say:

party:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You finished the much dreaded week 5, day 3!!!! I think that was the hardest one mentally for a lot of us. Great work!

Thanks! I have been dreading that day since I saw it at the beginning. I kept telling myself that there was no way I would EVER be able to run for 20 minutes straight (and not die at the end of it:rotfl: ). Well it turned out to not be bad at all. Her piano teachers subdivision even has some hills (small ones, but still hills) in it too. I don't know how far I ran because my GPS was low on batteries, and it kept cutting off on me! :scared: It said I ran 1.86 miles in 25 minutes, but I think I ran further. I don't think it accounts for the distance I would run while it was powered off. :confused3

I am so proud of myself for doing it though. I know I have come a long way! :thumbsup2

I am actually kind of happy that the potty issues happened because I didn't eat out very healthy at lunch today, and snacked on peanuts and candy corn (just like a Payday candy bar if you haven't tried it :) ) earlier in the afternoon. That could be why I had issues. :rolleyes1 Anyway, I think I am rid of all of that now. ;)

After reading all the posts here, I've decided to back slide a little and do the last two weeks of c25k again, and then I'm going to work on the 10 week program for running for an hour. I'm hoping that this makes running a little easier and something I dread a little less.

I'm trying to run 3 times a week, should I be doing more?

redheaded mama

I'm trying to run 3 times a week, should I be doing more?

That's completely up to you. I don't think I ever ran more than 3 times a week. If I felt like I needed to get out there more, then I'd go for brisk walks in addition to my run days. Then again, I wasn't necessarily in training for any races. I was just out to become a runner and lose weight/firm things up. :goodvibes

Well it turned out to not be bad at all.

Hey, Allie! Isn't it amazing how you can surprise yourself like that? Way to go! I can imagine your snacks could wreak a little havoc on your digestion. ;) Hopefully you won't have that issue again.

redheaded mama,
I think you are approaching this exactly the right way. Reviewing a couple of weeks is a smart move, and you'll be back where you were before you know it, I'm sure. I have heard different perspectives on the number of days that you run. I would say, though, c25k works fine the way it is, and it is built on 3 days of running. So don't feel like you should run more than 3x per week. Those recovery days are as important as the runs. They really are! Once you get through the program, you can worry about adding an extra day if you want to. I am still running 3x per week most of the time, and for me, it is enough right now. Maybe when I train for a 10 miler or the half next year, I'll follow a program with an extra day of running.

DD and I are running in her first 5k this Saturday. She did pretty well last night on our 2nd day 1st week training. She went 1.71 miles in 26:30. I think that is great for a little girl who is only 9 and has never run. I am hoping for us to just finish on Saturday. I want it to be a fun experience! I think we may run a minute, walk 90 seconds the whole race. I am so excited for her. I'll keep y'all posted on how we do. I have got my training down to where I do my training on one day, and then train with her the next, then mine again, etc. It seems to be working out without hurting me. Since I am further along in my training, her routine seems sooooo easy. It is funny how it seems so easy now, but when I started, it was killing me. :scared: :rotfl:

Hope y'all have a great week!

Hey Allie! How great that you and your DD run together. Maybe when I get all fixed up, I'll start out with my DD too. She's 8 and always asks to run with me. Guess since I'll be starting out pretty slow again, that we could do it together and see if she likes it. :thumbsup2 Good luck with your 5k! I think you have a good plan in place.

You guys don't mind if I linger here still, while I'm not running, right? (as if I'd leave if you say yes :rolleyes1 ). I feel a bit like a hypocrite, but we'll see what the ortho says on Friday.

Have a GREAT week, all!

Kim, you had better not go anywhere - You graduated - they can't take that away from you. Plus, you are a runner in your soul, even when your body is not cooperating. Actually, I take back that "you'd better" because really, I would understand if you didn't feel like hanging out here right now, but you know we would miss you, right?

We three seem to have kids about the same age (though mine is a wisp of a lad. I took him out running one time a few weeks ago when he begged and begged. It was cold and rainy, though, and he hasn't asked again since. It is a fun thing to share with family, though. I'm so excited about your 5K, Allie - I bet you and she will both have a great time!

Enjoy your 5K, Allie!

My bags are packed and I'm ready to go... :rotfl: I'm getting excited, this is the first time I've been so far on the packing at 9 pm with a 4 am departure time. :rolleyes1 I actually only have to throw in my laptop, paperwork, and Russ's sleepy stuff in the morning. (He sleeps with 20 gazillion stuffed animals...I'm only letting him take three.)

We won't have internet at the hotel (unless we break down and pay for it) so I will "see" you all next week! And I'll see Corinna in five days! :woohoo: Oh, Corinna, I'm wearing bright pink running capris and a grey DL shirt on race day - I've found that bright colors are easier to pick out. Speaking of which, I will be wearing bright red pants on Friday night. :rolleyes1

Way to work that packing, girlfriend! I love to have things all packed 24 hours in advance to give myself time to think of the things I have forgotten. Who am I kidding, though - that has happened exactly ONE time in my entire married life.

I am not totally sure what I will be wearing either on Friday or Saturday, though we have a fighting chance because we have seen photos of each other. On Saturday, I'll be the crazy lady in the pink visor (even though it will be dark) because it kind of keeps my eyes from drowning in the sweat. I'm thinking black running skirt and either hot pink shirt or turquoise singlet, depending on temps. Probably the singlet. I'll look for the RED pants on Friday, though. What time are you planning to be at AC?

Happy trails! (I'm getting so excited!!)

So I hit my mileage goal for the month last night, and still have some more running to do before all is said and done! I didn't even count the hike I did with the kids on Saturday - it was SLOW going. I ran some "sprints" last night and did the 6mph speed that I had been doing on that Podfitness program, but decided to do quarter miles at a time and then decided to do a little longer, even. So I was running that fast for 3 minutes at a time. It felt like week 2 all over again. :goodvibes

Tomorrow is my last run before the 13K. I'l probably do about 3 miles on the TM, nice and easy.

Enjoy your 5K, Allie!

My bags are packed and I'm ready to go... :rotfl: I'm getting excited, this is the first time I've been so far on the packing at 9 pm with a 4 am departure time. :rolleyes1 I actually only have to throw in my laptop, paperwork, and Russ's sleepy stuff in the morning. (He sleeps with 20 gazillion stuffed animals...I'm only letting him take three.)

We won't have internet at the hotel (unless we break down and pay for it) so I will "see" you all next week! And I'll see Corinna in five days! :woohoo: Oh, Corinna, I'm wearing bright pink running capris and a grey DL shirt on race day - I've found that bright colors are easier to pick out. Speaking of which, I will be wearing bright red pants on Friday night. :rolleyes1

So I hit my mileage goal for the month last night, and still have some more running to do before all is said and done! I didn't even count the hike I did with the kids on Saturday - it was SLOW going. I ran some "sprints" last night and did the 6mph speed that I had been doing on that Podfitness program, but decided to do quarter miles at a time and then decided to do a little longer, even. So I was running that fast for 3 minutes at a time. It felt like week 2 all over again. :goodvibes

Tomorrow is my last run before the 13K. I'l probably do about 3 miles on the TM, nice and easy.

Good luck with your races this weekend! Remember to report your results when you get back.

Kim, I hope you stay here because I would be lonely. :rolleyes1 My hip is starting to bother me. I'm not sure if it is this rainy, cold weather, or the fact that I am doing too much. It actually feels better while I am running. :confused3 I haven't been taking any Advil, so I may take some and see what happens.

I'll report how dd and I do this weekend.

Awwwww. :goodvibes I'm not goin' anywhere! I just get "down" sometimes and think I might bring you guys down.

I go to the ortho tomorrow, so hopefully I have some answers and can start MOVING again! :thumbsup2

Good luck to all of you guys with your races!!! I expect pictures (if possible) and definitely little race reports (but no pressure :laughing: ).

Great job - Corinna - making your September goal on the 23rd! You're doing SO well!! What's next month's number gonna be? :rolleyes1

It is going to depend.

I'm packing now, and it's so nice to hear a little chatter from the RU ladies before I go. Unfortunately (it's always something with me, and don't say that it isn't) I am still feeling the effects of sleeping on a troubled air mattress on the preschool campout last weekend. A little sore back, a little tight hamstring/calf, etc. I am doing OK for normal life, but I am not sure how I am going to be plugging through 13K. I am hitting the ice off and on the next few days. I am doing a short, easy run tonight on the treadmill after Kung Fu - 2-3 miles, not too fast, to see how things are doing.

I will definitely report back on Sunday or Monday, and I will take photos. I have my waterproof, shockproof camera charged and ready.

Have a great weekend. And extra good luck for your appointment tomorrow, Kim.

Allie, advil can be so helpful. Also, alternate heat and ice, and do some gentle stretching if you can. Have a great one on Saturday!

Almost time. I just wanted to let you know that my clever plan last night worked and my legs feel much less on the edge this morning. I think, once again, I have barely recovered from idiot things done a week before the race. :thumbsup2 Have a great weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter