• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Runners- foot pain, shoes?

*JoGo*

DIS Veteran
I've recently started running, roughly a mile three times a week and building up to more. My shoes are Champions from Target, about 5 to 6 weeks old, have been running in them since I got them but only recently my feet have started hurting. I run on a dirt/gravel driveway. First my right foot started hurting, on top. I thought it was from when I fell and hurt my ankle/foot (bent it in half kind of), when I was taking out the trash. But now the pain was on the top of my foot and not the bottom anymore. Still assumed it was from my fall. Then a couple runs later, the top of my left foot started hurting.

Now I'm thinking it might be a shoe problem rather than a foot problem. But what would cause the tops of my feet to hurt? I'm not tying them too tight... Or too loose. I thought they fit well. Any thoughts?

You need to find a real running store. They will put you on the treadmill and analyze your gait to find the proper shoe for your foot and stride. Different shoes work for different feet.

If running is something you plan to keep doing I suggest going to a running store and get them to fit you with a quality shoe based on your arch/instep. It'll cost you but will be worth it in the end. When it comes to running don't skimp on a quality shoe. Good luck with your training :thumbsup2.

The shoes could definitely be the problem. Go to a good running store in your area where tgey take time to get you properly fitted. In other words, not Footlocker or Sports Authority. A good place will have you walk for them so they can see what kind of shoe would be best and really take time working with you. A good running store will also allow you to try the shoes for a while and return them if they are hurting. Be prepared to spend a good amount on the shoes, but it's so worth it. Remember, shoes are the only major expense you really have to make, unlike most other sports. Good luck!

Wearing good socks is very helpful too (moisture-wicking, and/or padded in the arches). Sometimes it helps me just to tie my shoes more or less tight.

Definitely find a specialty running store (not Sports Authority, Dicks, etc) and have them analyze your feet for the right shoe.

It has made a HUGE difference in my running. Yes, the shoes are pricey but so so worth it.

Ditto tying your shoes the correct way too-- I've found that I usually tie my laces too tight and then my foot throbs, etc. Experiment with that a bit!

I don't run but the other two members of my family do. They get their shoes from a running store.

DS is a freshman in High School, and is doing track this spring for the 1st time. His coach advised us to take him to a local specialty running store to be fitted. They watched him walk, jog and run, then brought him out 3 pairs of shoes to try on. Once he decided on 1 of the three that he liked best, they brought out 4 more similar for him to choose from.

We wanted to make sure he had the best shoes possible for him, as he's running 5 days a week, plus he's a soccer player, and is also on the soccer field 3 times a week.

So far so good, he's about a month into it, and has no problems so far.

Top of foot pain is often an indicator of doing too much too soon. New shoes are a good idea but they aren't a magic bullet. Make sure you're not building your mileage quickly. Are you following a program like Couch to 5k? You might need to repeat your current week until your feet adjust to your new hobby.

My son has been a runner for almost 10 years now (junior high thru college) so many years experience with running shoes. I agree with the above posters, do not skimp on the shoes. I see that you are from Ohio, not sure where you are from exactly but we deal with a store that goes by the name of Second Sole of Ohio - go ahead and google it and see if any locations are near you. There is also a Road Runner Sports in Worthington, down by Columbus. I hope this helps. Good luck with the running.

Thanks for all the replies!

Icicle, I am doing the couch to 5k and I'm on week 5. It's been challenging but now it's really hard. I'm starting to struggle. I'm thinking about going to the high school track to run for awhile, where it's level and paved. Where I run now, it's a long driveway and I'm running on dirt, gravel, and grass, going up and down slight hills.

Disneyfan007, there is a Second Sole near me. I was thinking about going there.

I think I will try my other pair of running shoes for awhile, they are heavier which is why I got these light ones. And do this week of running over again, per Icicle's advice of doing too much too soon. Once I decide if I'm going to stick with running (this week has been really hard), I will go to Second Sole. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm going to give up in another week or so. I'm trying really hard to like running, right now I feel relieved when it's over. I don't dread going or make up excuses not to, I plan my running around the weather, and I feel proud when I've finished a run. But getting through it is really starting to be a huge struggle.

If you are running on gravel and dirt you need a trail shoe. New Balance makes a nice minimalist shoe for trails that is light weight.
Road shoes and trail shoes are 2 different beasts.

If you are struggling, repeat weeks. I repeated week 4 and 5. Hang in there. I didn't think I would love or even like running but DH and I have decided to run/walk the WDW marathon in January.

Definitely look into new shoes, but you may have a bone spur on the top of your foot. I have one that I never knew about until I had a certain pair of running shoes. I went to a podiatrist who showed me a different way to lace my shoes to ease the pain. Basically, I laced my shoes normally half way up, and then I ran the laces straight up through the next eyelets, and then resumed the criss-cross pattern (I hope that made sense!)

You should definitely go to a specialty running store so they can look at your gait, but there's also a small chance you may want to see a doctor about it!

Thanks for all the replies!

Icicle, I am doing the couch to 5k and I'm on week 5. It's been challenging but now it's really hard. I'm starting to struggle. I'm thinking about going to the high school track to run for awhile, where it's level and paved. Where I run now, it's a long driveway and I'm running on dirt, gravel, and grass, going up and down slight hills.

Disneyfan007, there is a Second Sole near me. I was thinking about going there.

I think I will try my other pair of running shoes for awhile, they are heavier which is why I got these light ones. And do this week of running over again, per Icicle's advice of doing too much too soon. Once I decide if I'm going to stick with running (this week has been really hard), I will go to Second Sole. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm going to give up in another week or so. I'm trying really hard to like running, right now I feel relieved when it's over. I don't dread going or make up excuses not to, I plan my running around the weather, and I feel proud when I've finished a run. But getting through it is really starting to be a huge struggle.

The heavier shoes are not going to help. You need a light-weight running shoe appropriate for your arch. I understand you don't want to invest $$ on something you may not stick through, but you'll have a much better chance of sticking with the running if you are wearing good shoes.

DD ran track last year and wore Asic-Gel Kayano 17's. This year she'll wear the newest version which are 18's. If you visit the Asics website here http://www.asicsamerica.com/footwear/running-shoes/gel-kayano-18-t250n-womens/
scroll down and click on the link that says, "Discover your pronation" which has to do with your arch. If you are in the wrong shoe, your foot will hurt and you could develop foot problems.

One way to find your pronation is to get a brown paper bag (a lunch bag will work), get the bottom of your foot wet, and then step on the bag. Compare your foot to the chart to see your pronation. Then search for a GOOD running shoe that matches.

You can save money buy buying last year's model (for the Asic kayano that would be the 17 instead of 18) if you are on a tight budget.

Also, running shoes should be replaced every 3 or 4 months -- assuming you are running every day.

The heavier shoes are not going to help. You need a light-weight running shoe appropriate for your arch. I understand you don't want to invest $$ on something you may not stick through, but you'll have a much better chance of sticking with the running if you are wearing good shoes.

:thumbsup2 This is good advice!

A someone said....do not go to Dick's, or the foot locker. If you are not sure where runners buy shoes in your area look for a webpage for a local running club. You might find names there that people trust.

If you have bad shoes you aren't going to stick with running because you can't.....you'll have pain, get injuries, blictes, lose interest because it hurts too much. You might have to spend $100+ for shoes that fit well, and then do it again when you put 300 miles on them. But just think how good you'll feel!

I had foot/ankle surgery a year and a half ago. My surgeon told me to never skimp on running shoes. She and my physical therapist told me to go to a running store and have my gait analyzed for shoes that are right for me.

I wear Asic Kayano 18 which is right for my strike and gait. A running store will tell you which shoe is right for you. Yes, they are expensive, but they are worth it!

All the different types of running shoes are overwhelming.

My heavier shoes are Asics Gel Strike T9D9N. They have a wider sole than the lighter champions I've been wearing. After all the looking and reading, I'm thinking the champions are not the shoes to wear on the terrain I'm running on. The sole is much thinner/narrower and not as stable. I liked that they were so light.

I run where I do simply because it's most convenient. It's property we own, so it's private and we all go out and my dh plays with my son while I run. I'm still thinking about going to the high school track to run for awhile. No dodging pot holes! I havent gone running since Wed due to weather or my son not cooperating and my right foot is still bothering me. My left foot is feeling better, not 100%, but much better than my right. When I have shoes on, my foot doesn't bother me. I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't really injure it when I fell last month. It never bruised and there wasn't any swelling.

I want to stick with running. I'm going to go to Second Sole and see what they
suggest. I'm also going to repeat the past week's training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter