Run Disney for DVC members

Thanks Kevin for the inspiration. I'm a warm blooded girl, so I'm not enjoying the Chicago weather for my long runs. I'm staying dedicated though.

Athenna, sorry about the injury. Have you tried a PT or orthopod to see if there is any help? Maybe take a little break. You'll come back stronger on the other side.

Count me in!

I started with Couch to 5K at the end of July. It really really works! I had trouble running 2 or 3 minutes back then. Finished my first 5K a couple weeks ago. Now I am signed up for the WDW Half in January! I am using Galloway's run/walk program and so far I really like it. My goal for January is just to finish- and take a lot of pictures! I am very excited to run my first Half.

My friend and I are staying at POR, because I am using all my points for our November trip. :rotfl2: And of course I plan on signing up for the DL Half in September- want one of those coast-to-coast medals! Being able to run at Disney has been a big motivator for me.

Those medals are quite addicting!! I have 7 Disney medals, 2 of which are the Coast to Coast medals. I plan on doing the challenge every year, with the Princess being my WDW event. I did the full in 2009, and now go to watch my friend do The Goofy. I am sticking to half marathons now.

I have run a few Disney events and will be back at Disney this January to run the Goofy. My advise is in the form of two photos:

Get in your long runs (even when it is cold)

runnercold.jpg

And you will wind up collecting these (it can be addictive)

medals1.jpg

Good luck to all the Disney runners,

Kevin

Great tips and great motivation to see all the hardware laid out like that. It is nice to see what the end goal is. Now I can't wait to get my first Disney Race Medal when I run in Disneyland in September!

In case you missed it, I have now updated the front page of this thread to include a list of races and which members are running in them. If you would like to be added to this list, please send me a pm and I will add you.

Thank you all for adding your input to this thread, it has been encouraging to hear from everyone who has had experience running with Disney before and from those, like me, who are just starting to prepare for their first race.

Athenna, sorry about the injury. Have you tried a PT or orthopod to see if there is any help? Maybe take a little break. You'll come back stronger on the other side.

Thanks, I appreciate it:hug: Too make a long story short, I haven't been to a doc yet, my health insurance is rotten:sad2: and it wouldn't be covered. I've been resting it, icing it, using the foam roller as some friends recommended but nothing has worked yet. Going to rest it today and tomorrow and test it out on Thursday to see if it's any better then.

Thanks, I appreciate it:hug: Too make a long story short, I haven't been to a doc yet, my health insurance is rotten:sad2: and it wouldn't be covered. I've been resting it, icing it, using the foam roller as some friends recommended but nothing has worked yet. Going to rest it today and tomorrow and test it out on Thursday to see if it's any better then.

I am sorry to hear about your set back and hope that you are able to get back up and running soon!

Can anyone suggest to me places to run while at WDW? My running buddy and I will be staying at AKV in just over a week!! :cool1: But I will need to get in 2 3-mile runs during my 5 days. Is there anywhere we can run around AKV Kidani? Or an easy place to hop a bus to?

I really, really hate running on the treadmill and don't want to skip out on my training for the Half!

Thanks!

Can anyone suggest to me places to run while at WDW? My running buddy and I will be staying at AKV in just over a week!! :cool1: But I will need to get in 2 3-mile runs during my 5 days. Is there anywhere we can run around AKV Kidani? Or an easy place to hop a bus to?

I really, really hate running on the treadmill and don't want to skip out on my training for the Half!

Thanks!

Try this link:
http://www.disneyrunning.com/wdwtrails.html

I don't think there is anywhere around AKV to run outside besides going back and forth between the two hotels which would get old. It is one reason I am considering not choosing that hotel for our trip next Oct as I'll likely be training for the full in Jan '12 and want easy access to paths for running.

Good luck and have fun.

My favorite place to run at Disney is around the lake by Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin/Yacht/Beach Club. It is just a beautiful run. I enjoyed running around SSR, but I didn't find as many sidewalks/paths in the areas I wanted to run. If I recall, I ended up running in the road in parts and had to jump onto the grass to avoid buses. For a resort that is supposed to be about golf/fitness/health, the lack of a nice running path kind of bummed me out. If there is indeed one, I apologize.

I would LOVE to do the Disney races, but as a teacher, it is tough since all of the races are when school is in session. I will most likely slip away for a weekend, though, next year to do the marathon if the finances allow for it.

I just started running this year and it just so happens that we will be visiting WDW in 2011 during the wine and dine half marathon. Looks like I will have something to train for.

The Run Disney website states that you run through the parks. Do you run through all of the parks or is it just some?

I just started running this year and it just so happens that we will be visiting WDW in 2011 during the wine and dine half marathon. Looks like I will have something to train for.

The Run Disney website states that you run through the parks. Do you run through all of the parks or is it just some?

This year at the W&D Half, we ran through AK and DHS and ended at Epcot.

If you check out the run Disney site, they have course maps for each race. I think the half races go through 2 parks, and the full goes through all 4 of them. The Princess will be my first, and I'm excited to be able to run through the castle.

My family is in for the Royal Family 5k (part of Princess Half Marathon weekend). We have extended family coming with and the rule was - if you are coming, you are running! So a total of 14 people!

to do the beer and wine run around the world at epcot after all we are there to enjoy ourselves:woohoo::woohoo: and get away from :laundy: and the:headache::headache:

I will be running the Princess half in February with a friend. We both did the Baltimore half last month and are looking forward to a flat course. Now if my waitlist comes through it will be perfect!

my DH and I are running the 5 k in January and DH is doing the Goofy over the weekend. I am volunteering for both races on Saturday and Sunday setting up the finish line in the morning.

This year at the W&D Half, we ran through AK and DHS and ended at Epcot.

It was the only time I got to DHS that trip! lol For me, I just couldnt wait to get out of DHS because I knew we were almost home! Was so looking forward to that last stretch!!:goodvibes

athenna....how are you doing?? I know I need to go and catch up on the other thread..;)

Ok..its cold here....had a 5K plus race yesterday morning....30 degrees ...ugh! Was dressed properly, I was never cold, its just breathing in that cold air that gets to me.

Good news is this is the first race ( its technically my 3rd race, inc one other 5K last year and the Wine & Dine Half) that I ran!! SO this is huge for me! I walked in between for abt a min interval from time to time but felt better running at that point...I shaved off 7:10 off my 5K split time from last mth in the Half!

I finished the whole race (3.56 miles) in less time than my 5K split time last mth!

I just turned 44 10 days after doing my first ever Half....have never ran in my life....just started training mid August...so this is personally a big deal for me..thanks for allowing me to share:)
My 5K time yesterday was 33:30....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter