• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

I have to say that I'm pretty upset about this. I head down to WDW in 19 days and ROL/nighttime safari were going to be the highlight of this trip. I planned multiple days in AK just for this and now I've got to swap my dining and FPs around. Between this postponement, the DHS renovations closing stuff and the various rides that are down in the other parks it's going to be a much smaller World to visit.

photo1-3.jpg~original.jpg

I'm so sorry to all of the April/May folks! I love that they even used the language I predicted when I got into my pessimistic sure-they-were-going-to-postpone-it place (to exceed our guests' expectations... :crazy2:). The one upside is that you now at least have some certainty about your trips and can move forward. Those of us going in June are still on the ride and the ride ceased being fun a loooong time ago. I hope we won't lose all of you all, as you are what has made the wait tolerable and, in many cases, even enjoyable!

I totally agree. At least we have an update, but I was hoping to have my plans finalized by the time I picked FP+ time on April 10th. Now just need to keep fingers crossed that it's open by the time we go in June and hope we don't get caught up in preview events if they have those.

So sorry for all the April & May people this will affect - hope you guys hang with us while we wait for information.

Just got to vent for a second--- I know I usually try and keep it light in here--we all do--- but I feel for the April and May people --- I mean I am sorry -- I know unforeseen things happen, but why would Disney set a firm date, if the project wasn't ready to roll ? Isn't the normal protocol to make sure all is ready PRIOR to setting a date --- and officially announcing it ?
I can tell you that this is the first time Disney announced an opening of a major entertainment/attraction so early. I was surprised when they did. It's usually only a couple of weeks before they open that they announce. I think they were trying so hard for an Earth Day opening that they got carried away. We always have rumors but nothing concrete from Disney that early.

I'm sure we won't see official announcement of anything else months in advance

I'm also sorry for everyone coming in April/May and those that planned to come specifically for RoL.

Gkr542V.gif

Our trip is May 19-27. All this does is add more uncertaintly! Maybe there will be soft openings by then....or maybe not. Planning this trip has been extremely aggravating considering we originally booked before they cancelled SWW. And don't even get me started on the Frozen ride. Also another one that may have soft openings by our trip...or maybe not.

I had not told my kids about the Frozen ride but I had told them about ROL since it had a hard start date.

I realize these are not "real" problems, but I am in the mood to pout right now.

What a crap storm this turned out to be. I did not tell my child one thing about this event since I have been down the Disney path before. New Fantasy land opened two weeks after our first trip and 7dmt 10 days after our second. I am grateful to be able to focus on what I will get to do and see and experience on my trip. Now where is my bourbon?

And it says that they won't post more about the delay until mid to late May?!?!?! So they are more than one month behind??? UGH!!!

So, um, I hate to ask but...

What are the chances of seeing a preview prior to ROL opening? Say, the second week of May?

:rolleyes1

I'm also sorry for everyone coming in April/May and those that planned to come specifically for RoL.

While my family wasn't coming specifically for RoL and the nighttime attractions at AKL, it was a nice bonus we though we were getting. With countless attractions down under refurb, or re-theming, or gone for new lands it was kinda cool to hear that something new was going to take place during our trip. We would be one of the first to get to experience it. It took some of the pain (strong word, I know) away that some of these closed attractions were going to open just a few months after we left. I'm sure we will have a great time. I'm still looking forward to our trip. Its just a bummer.

Bummed, but the ROL didn't exist when we booked our trip, so we didn't plan on it initially. But, now we are not sure what to do for our AK day for dinner. Current time shows the park will close at 6:00 PM. Are we assuming all the nighttime activities will also wait until ROL opens (would seem odd to open some activities and pay for staff when the main attraction isn't ready).

If you are not eating dinner at AK, where do you go for dinner? We are staying at POR. Maybe Boma? Seems like anywhere else will be tough to get to from AK.

So without rivers of light- they won't be doi any of the nightime/evening experiences? No safari or even the street parties?

And it says that they won't post more about the delay until mid to late May?!?!?! So they are more than one month behind??? UGH!!!

Not sure they are actually a month behind but putting the announcement date that far back probably took the pressure off. And would stop people from asking. I think they probably learned that they need to be on the safe side with this.

Our trip is May 19-27. All this does is add more uncertaintly! Maybe there will be soft openings by then....or maybe not. Planning this trip has been extremely aggravating considering we originally booked before they cancelled SWW. And don't even get me started on the Frozen ride. Also another one that may have soft openings by our trip...or maybe not.

I had not told my kids about the Frozen ride but I had told them about ROL since it had a hard start date.

I realize these are not "real" problems, but I am in the mood to pout right now.

We are going at the same time. I'm hoping mid to late May for an announcement is a once bitten, twice shy response and something happens sooner. DH and I will be back in September for a late bday trip for me, but we won't be back with the kids for quite a while.

I really, REALLY, really hope they learned their lesson with this and wont try to (insert bad word ;) over with the dates for SWL and TSL! Maybe now they'll be a bit more loose with their dates like they usually are - by giving a "season".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter