Rumored Changes to G+

That is so neat to know! I didn't know you could save a car to your band. My son made a pretty amazing one last time!

Well, it doesn't actually save to your band, it associates the design with your RFID from the band (or any ticket media. They even used to provide Test Track cards for people without a ticket/band on them). They don't stay in the system forever, but should last the length of any trip. I believe you can have your design sent to your email at one of the exit kiosks, but I'm not sure about that.

While you can currently only buy Genie+ on the day, the functionality is still in the system to buy it in advance.

I know this because I was at MK with G+ on the day the bear was loose (if you remember that!), and with half the park closed it wasn't possible to book any rides as they were either in the closed section or were fully booked up because everyone had limited other options - essentially we'd paid $21 each and only got to use it on Small World!

I did the online customer service thing in the MDE app explaining our frustration (but very politely of course) and asked if instead of a refund would they'd be willing to give us G+ on our second MK day which was going to be later in the week. An agent came back to us pretty quickly to say that yes, they'd been able to arrange that (in fact they made it an All Parks G+ in case we changed our mind on which park we wanted to do). On that second day, I checked the app at 6:50am and sure enough, the G+ functionality was already there and ready to go, so clearly it can be scheduled in advance for any date, it's just that only staff can do that at the moment.

Well, it doesn't actually save to your band, it associates the design with your RFID from the band (or any ticket media. They even used to provide Test Track cards for people without a ticket/band on them). They don't stay in the system forever, but should last the length of any trip. I believe you can have your design sent to your email at one of the exit kiosks, but I'm not sure about that.
Thank you!

If you can pre buy Genie+, it’s probably going to be a lot more expensive because they can’t do dynamic pricing-I’d hate to be there and not be able to buy it because it’s sold out so I’m all for pre buying. Of course, you can’t pick and choose what days you want it and it would be for length of ticket but I’d still be ok with this.

If you can pre buy Genie+, it’s probably going to be a lot more expensive because they can’t do dynamic pricing-I’d hate to be there and not be able to buy it because it’s sold out so I’m all for pre buying. Of course, you can’t pick and choose what days you want it and it would be for length of ticket but I’d still be ok with this.
They're not doing dynamic pricing, i.e. the price goes up and down as the product (Genie+ or ILL) is sold, now. They're doing variable pricing, i.e. it may cost more or less today than when we sold it yesterday. They can still do that. They'll just have to decide on the price a week or more ahead of time. It's possible they already decide what the prices for a certain day will be a week or more ahead of time. We, the consumers, just don't know what those prices are before we can actually buy the product day-of. They do not have to do length-of-ticket pricing unless they make you buy Genie+ with the ticket, and perhaps not even then. They could just as easily let you buy Genie+ for a certain day a week or so ahead of time and then let you book your first three LL reservations as soon as you bought it. I don't know that that is what they're planning, but it is feasible.

Buying ahead of time will also lock people into paying to have Genie+ on a day that they may have waited until they had arrived at the park and seen the crowd before determining if it was worth buying or not. (which can still be done but the fomo will be strong with this).
As well as, essentially, force people to make a park reservation unless they allow you to prebook LLs in multiple parks.

But Genie+ is purchased on the day so how can you book a week in advance? If it means those staying on site get to book rides (wihtout purchasing genie+) then that's amazing news and makes staying on site worth all the money again.
Resort guests will have the option of purchasing in advance

Maybe the tiers Disney has in mind this time around are for pricing. If you want to pre-purchase Genie along with pre-selecting attractions you would have to pay more. You could also continue to use Genie as it is now at lower cost and purchase the day of, but not have the availability to make pre-selections. This year over the holidays Genie was $39 for multi-park and Magic Kingdom. What could happen now would be Genie would be $49 to purchase in advance and make selections early, or you could buy it day of for $39. Just a guess of course.
Len has reported that the rides will be tiered, in every park, including MK for the first time, which if true, will be a MAJOR mistake and a complete disaster

Park reservations are gone as of next Tuesday
Yes, I know. I’m saying if you buy Genie+ and reserve your three rides at, say, MK - and a vast majority of guests will make their choices for the morning; it tends to be the seasoned goers like on this site who know to rope drop or relax and make your first choice for later in the day, then you have *essentially* made a park reservation.

Yeah, but if you pre-book a Lightning Lane, that is essentially locking you into visiting that park. You wouldn't necessarily have to, but you'd be wasting your pick. FP+ was essentially the same - it could help them know how many people would be in a certain park to use their selections.
Yes but Park Ressies also locked you into that one park until 2pm.....with the park hopping changes, you can go to any park even prior to your Genie+ selection......Plus, they could give you the option of modifying your selection to a different park

Yes but Park Ressies also locked you into that one park until 2pm.....with the park hoping changes, you can go to any park even prior to your Genie+ selection......Plus, they could give you the option of modifying your selection to a different park
The vast majority of park-goers won’t realize or won’t bother to make modifications. Enough that they’ll be able to make a good guess as to how many guests they’ll have on any given morning. Yes, you can go to any park you’d like, barring APs, but most Disney guests aren't pros and will make their LLs as early as possible, making it difficult to start in a different park.

Yeah, but if you pre-book a Lightning Lane, that is essentially locking you into visiting that park. You wouldn't necessarily have to, but you'd be wasting your pick. FP+ was essentially the same - it could help them know how many people would be in a certain park to use their selections.
Agree but for resort guests, this is not much of an issue.......Day guests it will be more of a concern, but i know my park days 6 months in advance of my trips

The vast majority of park-goers won’t realize or won’t bother to make modifications. Enough that they’ll be able to make a good guess as to how many guests they’ll have on any given morning. Yes, you can go to any park you’d like, barring APs, but most Disney guests aren't pros and will make their LLs as early as possible, making it difficult to start in a different park.
This is where the tiering system hurts a lot of guests.......we dont go to the parks until 3pm every day........If i had to use my 3 selections before getting my 4th, all of the inventory would be gone by the time i got to the park.......with Genie+, I can stack every 2 hours and get as many Tier1 rides as I want based on availability..........with Tiers, I would only get 1 and I would never pay $30 for Genie+ for 1 ride

This is where the tiering system hurts a lot of guests.......we dont go to the parks until 3pm every day........If i had to use my 3 selections before getting my 4th, all of the inventory would be gone by the time i got to the park.......with Genie+, I can stack every 2 hours and get as many Tier1 rides as I want based on availability..........with Tiers, I would only get 1 and I would never pay $30 for Genie+ for 1 ride
I agree. Tiers will be a huge mistake. It was that way with FP+, as well for those who didn’t know the drops and refresh method, which was a very high percentage.

Is the "other way" like Universal to be just purchase and use shorter, faster lines? No booking, no reserving, etc.?
Why wouldn't they just simplify the whole thing and just make "extra paid" lines shorter and faster, no limits, no pre-booking, etc. just price it accordingly. What's the downside to that for them?

Agree but for resort guests, this is not much of an issue.......Day guests it will be more of a concern, but i know my park days 6 months in advance of my trips

No, I get that there are differences, it's just what SkyGuy menat by "essentially" forcing reservations, even though they are not in fact actual park reservations.

Is the "other way" like Universal to be just purchase and use shorter, faster lines? No booking, no reserving, etc.?
Why wouldn't they just simplify the whole thing and just make "extra paid" lines shorter and faster, no limits, no pre-booking, etc. just price it accordingly. What's the downside to that for them?
As I and many others have stated in the past, a system like that would have to be priced at an eye watering amount. I'm talking $300/person per day minimum especially if it allowed for rerides and included the ILLs.

They might see in their internal data that they would make more money charging a lower price but a downside is that more people use it? I have no idea, I'm just spitballing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter