Rumored Changes to G+

While we've been counting guests in line, we've noticed a new phenomenon around DAS use: When a group returns to use DAS, a CM seems more likely to ask to see the person for whom the DAS was issued.

This seems to be resulting in many more guests leaving the DAS line without riding. For example, recently at DHS we saw a group of young men get turned away after a CM asked "And which one of you is Kaylee?"

I'm not sure if this is a holiday-specific process. So far we've seen it at DHS and MK. We'll keep counting.
I thought that the person for whom it was issued had to scan in first? So wouldn’t they see that person automatically? Thanks for exploring this and I can’t wait to read about your final report on it. So interesting!

While we've been counting guests in line, we've noticed a new phenomenon around DAS use: When a group returns to use DAS, a CM seems more likely to ask to see the person for whom the DAS was issued.

This seems to be resulting in many more guests leaving the DAS line without riding. For example, recently at DHS we saw a group of young men get turned away after a CM asked "And which one of you is Kaylee?"

I'm not sure if this is a holiday-specific process. So far we've seen it at DHS and MK. We'll keep counting.
The DAS holder has always tapped in first, this isn’t new or holiday specific.

This is when it’s blue. Once the CM verifies, it turns green and others in the party can then tap in

This is when it’s blue. Once the CM verifies, it turns green and others in the party can then tap in
I thought that the person for whom it was issued had to scan in first? So wouldn’t they see that person automatically? Thanks for exploring this and I can’t wait to read about your final report on it. So interesting!
This is just how I read it: they seem to be confirming more than in the past. Having just had a conversation with my CM friend about this....there has been laxness depending on the CM, depending on the attraction, etc (this also came into play with how many people were allowed to go in with the person who is DAS qualified as in allowing more than they should).

So I read the comment to mean they are paying attention more. If no one in that group is Kaylee obviously that group was using someone they know named Kaylee's DAS access.

This is true, but the situation he laid out gives the appearance that some individuals who aren’t the DAS holder are using the DAS holder’s pass to gain access and attempting to ride an attraction without the DAS holder.

I could be wrong but think Len’s point was that the DAS holder wasn’t present in the party to ride that specific ride.

Say a 7yo has DAS for the family of 6. 4 of them would like to ride RnRC but 7yo does not. So one of the 4 ‘borrow’ the 7yo’s magicband. As the 4 people check-in with DAS for the ride, the cast member realizes none of them appear to be what’s on record for the party’s 7yo DAS holder, and that triggers them asking “Which of you are Kaylee?”

This is just how I read it: they seem to be confirming more than in the past. Having just had a conversation with my CM friend about this....there has been laxness depending on the CM, depending on the attraction, etc (this also came into play with how many people were allowed to go in with the person who is DAS qualified as in allowing more than they should).

So I read the comment to mean they are paying attention more. If no one in that group is Kaylee obviously that group was using someone they know named Kaylee's DAS access.
Ah ok, I didn't read the post that way. Apologies @lentesta

Although, this hasn't been our experience. The CM always checks. My adult DD has been a DAS holder for a few years now. She cannot do thrill rides so our family often splits so my teen and I do the coasters, etc. For the rides we do go on with DD, we've never encountered a CM not checking.

Interesting, people are trying to go through without the DAS holder. I have always experienced CM verification - and this is on rides like Small World, Pirates, Figment, etc. I imagine it would be stricter with the headliners?

I could be wrong but think Len’s point was that the DAS holder wasn’t present in the party to ride that specific ride.

Say a 7yo has DAS for the family of 6. 4 of them would like to ride RnRC but 7yo does not. So one of the 4 ‘borrow’ the 7yo’s magicband. As the 4 people check-in with DAS for the ride, the cast member realizes none of them appear to be what’s on record for the party’s 7yo DAS holder, and that triggers them asking “Which of you are Kaylee?”
Ok yeah, this shouldn't be happening.

I assumed it did, but does anyone know for sure, does a photo pop up when the DAS holder scans in?

Sorry I wasn't clear - yes, this is what I think is happening. Someone is presenting someone else's MagicBand.

Sorry I wasn't clear - yes, this is what I think is happening. Someone is presenting someone else's MagicBand.
My son who uses DAS: always has to check in first for our party and they verify his picture on screen with him in person. (A photo of the person getting DAS is mandatory when you register, and it pops up when he scans into the ride). Only after they've verified his identity can his support people then scan in after him.

I don't think they are being more strict during the holidays, as we've never not had this verification process happen. Hope that helps!

I also wonder how many in the LL are rider swaps for families with young children? Seems to me that the number of rider swaps in LL are potentially much greater than DAS users.

Ok yeah, this shouldn't be happening.

I assumed it did, but does anyone know for sure, does a photo pop up when the DAS holder scans in?
Yes, a photo pops up along with their name. They almost always say hello to my son by name when he taps in with his DAS the requirements of photo is part of the reason that the person for who DAS is being issued must also wait if arranging it by phone because they need to be able to see them and take a picture. If signing up in the parks, they also must be present to have their photo taken.

I agree that I doubt they’re being more strict because they have already been pretty consistently strict on checking for the DAS holder to be present. What I think is more likely happening is that people who don’t go to Disney often are attempting to scam the system not realizing that, you really cannot board a ride without the DAS present holder

I don’t understand. To use the DAS return, the person with the DAS has to scan first, and that’s why the blue comes up. It means the CM has to verify it is the DAS user and approve it before anyone else in the party can scan in. That’s the way it’s always been. I can’t picture a circumstance where the CM would have to ask who the DAS user is.
Edit: Sorry, I posted this before reading all the subsequent posts, looks like it’s been covered.

I agree that I doubt they’re being more strict because they have already been pretty consistently strict on checking for the DAS holder to be present. What I think is more likely happening is that people who don’t go to Disney often are attempting to scam the system not realizing that, you really cannot board a ride without the DAS present holder
I don't know that we can say the person(s) using it are trying to scam the system as in that's of course their intent. In order to get the DAS pass someone with a DAS pass would be giving it to them. The DAS holder may have told them it's a way to skip the line in an unethical way, they may have not told them they had to be present or even sold them their pass. That isn't me trying to speculate about the particular group len mentioned just to say it's super easy to pin it on the group of individuals but we don't know the whole story. Obviously they got a DAS holders pass some way.

As far as strict this is me not having in person knowledge but it's possible that CMs as a whole are more likely to acknowledge out loud a child who is the DAS user compared to an adult. And they may or may not be scrutinizing the picture. The CMs are going to follow the rules the majority of the time because they have to (their job would be in danger if they didn't) but it doesn't mean all CMs do for every single interaction and if you've been yelled at enough times you might just let some things go.

I don't know that we can say the person(s) using it are trying to scam the system as in that's of course their intent. In order to get the DAS pass someone with a DAS pass would be giving it to them. The DAS holder may have told them it's a way to skip the line in an unethical way, they may have not told them they had to be present or even sold them their pass. That isn't me trying to speculate about the particular group len mentioned just to say it's super easy to pin it on the group of individuals but we don't know the whole story. Obviously they got a DAS holders pass some way.

As far as strict this is me not having in person knowledge but it's possible that CMs as a whole are more likely to acknowledge out loud a child who is the DAS user compared to an adult. And they may or may not be scrutinizing the picture. The CMs are going to follow the rules the majority of the time because they have to (their job would be in danger if they didn't) but it doesn't mean all CMs do for every single interaction and if you've been yelled at enough times you might just let some things go.
Clearly the group was given a magic band or ticket to use the person's DAS. Using FP+ or genie + actually allows that but DAS is different. The qualified person must be there to scan in first and they verify their identity

My son looks like an adult. He is over 6 feet and occasionally rocks facial hair. I really doubt him not being a legal adult yet is why they acknowledge him by name at most attractions. Also the CMs have to verify the identity of the DAS person before it will switch from blue to green. I have also seen them acknowledge much older guests using DAS by name as well as they flip it from blue to green.

Clearly the group was given a magic band or ticket to use the qualified person's DAS.

My son looks like an adult. He is over 6 feet and occasionally rocks facial hair. I really doubt him not being a legal adult yet is why they acknowledge him by name at most attractions. Also the CMs have to verify the identity of the DAS person before it will switch from blue to green. I have also seen them acknowledge much older guests using DAS by name as well as they flip it from blue to green.
To the first point exactly which is why I don't think it's fair to describe it as they were infrequent guests trying to scam Disney. How did they get that access in the first place should have been the focus point and should have been where the "blame" lies because ultimately even if a DAS user is unknowing that they must be present (giving the benefit of the doubt) they are responsible (or if a minor or cognitively unable to make decisions for themselves their legal guardian) for their pass much the same as AP holders are responsible for theirs.

To the second point I get it but I'm speaking generally, not something you've seen or your son in particular. I'm speaking about the parks as a whole. Without a doubt some CMs are lax about this even if you've not personally experienced it. I said CMs may be more likely to acknowledge a child over an adult by name (as I said out loud) because that's also part of the magic for child (even as it can be for adults too primarily kids love that interaction) so verbal confirmation may occur at different levels depending on the CM, the day they've had, the attraction, etc. I wasn't speaking about your son personally it was a general comment because majority of the posters on the Board who discuss DAS are doing so on behalf of their children so experiences of adult DAS users become the minority from this Board at least.

Speaking in a guessing way it could have seemed much more obvious this time that Kaylee was not in the group but that may not be the case all the time depending on the CM's decisions when a DAS situation comes up and even if it was obvious that CM may still have let it go (which does happen). Just because a CM doesn't verbally confirm doesn't mean they weren't checking the photo for a match and not verbally confirming doesn't mean they were checking for a match either. As much as people would like to think Disney is 100% never ever allowing things to slide with DAS that's not the reality. I agree the one observation from len may not mean much in the end and could be a one off but it may also be that Disney is trying to do more checking without as much inconsistencies.

I have also seen them acknowledge much older guests using DAS by name as well as they flip it from blue to green.
Yup, I believe they've always acknowledged my mom by name whenever she's scanned in with DAS.

The CMs have been great at checking as well in our experience. Just a few weeks ago we brought my dad, and failed to really drill it into his head that my mom had to scan in first when we were using DAS, so at one point he saw there were touch points on both sides, so decided to scan in there while I waited behind my mom. Somehow we totally missed he did this, and of course his turned blue, which he didn't realize meant he couldn't enter, so he just waltzed right in. The CMs saw this and went after him to bring him back. It all worked out, but it was quite embarrassing at the time! :rotfl2:

To the first point exactly which is why I don't think it's fair to describe it as they were infrequent guests trying to scam Disney. How did they get that access in the first place should have been the focus point and should have been where the "blame" lies because ultimately even if a DAS user is unknowing that they must be present (giving the benefit of the doubt) they are responsible (or if a minor or cognitively unable to make decisions for themselves their legal guardian) for their pass much the same as AP holders are responsible for theirs.

To the second point I get it but I'm speaking generally, not something you've seen or your son in particular. I'm speaking about the parks as a whole. Without a doubt some CMs are lax about this even if you've not personally experienced it. I said CMs may be more likely to acknowledge a child over an adult by name (as I said out loud) because that's also part of the magic for child (even as it can be for adults too primarily kids love that interaction) so verbal confirmation may occur at different levels depending on the CM, the day they've had, the attraction, etc. I wasn't speaking about your son personally it was a general comment because majority of the posters on the Board who discuss DAS are doing so on behalf of their children so experiences of adult DAS users become the minority from this Board at least.

Speaking in a guessing way it could have seemed much more obvious this time that Kaylee was not in the group but that may not be the case all the time depending on the CM's decisions when a DAS situation comes up and even if it was obvious that CM may still have let it go (which does happen). Just because a CM doesn't verbally confirm doesn't mean they weren't checking the photo for a match and not verbally confirming doesn't mean they were checking for a match either. As much as people would like to think Disney is 100% never ever allowing things to slide with DAS that's not the reality. I agree the one observation from len may not mean much in the end and could be a one off but it may also be that Disney is trying to do more checking without as much inconsistencies.
I guess there's no real way to know how stringent every CM is. From our experience, we've had a few times where one of the younger kids went in front of my son by accident and started walking through the LL. And a few times my son with DAS was impatient and kept going after scanning before they had a chance to verify his picture. In all those instances, they got yelled at and told to come back to the touchpoint. Any time we haven't followed the exact protocol, we've gotten angry looks and voices from the CM's. Really embarrassing and not very magical, lol. So we've learned to follow the rules to a tee.

My thought is that it's similar to checking lap bars on the ride vehicles. It's a mandatory job for the CM's to complete, but some do it more thoroughly than others?

I guess there's no real way to know how stringent every CM is. From our experience, we've had a few times where one of the younger kids went in front of my son by accident and started walking through the LL. And a few times my son with DAS was impatient and kept going after scanning before they had a chance to verify his picture. In all those instances, they got yelled at and told to come back to the touchpoint. Any time we haven't followed the exact protocol, we've gotten angry looks and voices from the CM's. Really embarrassing and not very magical, lol. So we've learned to follow the rules to a tee.

My thought is that it's similar to checking lap bars on the ride vehicles. It's a mandatory job for the CM's to complete, but some do it more thoroughly than others?
Yeah I mean just from listening to the stories of my CM friend it varies but CMs are just like the rest of us. They are going to follow the rules majority of the time to the best of their abilities as that's part of their employment. Agreed part of it is more thorough depending on the CM.

In theory DAS is supposed to be accommodating (and is more than most if not all parks out there) those who need it but it's a fine line to walk with being extremely strict about it (from qualifications to actual on the ground procedures) in order to maintain the integrity of it and that of guest interaction. As it relates to Genie+ the message I've gotten is it's pretty important how DAS interacts with it.

I agree being yelled at is not kind and if it's not safety related could be handled differently.

Yeah I mean just from listening to the stories of my CM friend it varies but CMs are just like the rest of us. They are going to follow the rules majority of the time to the best of their abilities as that's part of their employment. Agreed part of it is more thorough depending on the CM.

In theory DAS is supposed to be accommodating (and is more than most if not all parks out there) those who need it but it's a fine line to walk with being extremely strict about it (from qualifications to actual on the ground procedures) in order to maintain the integrity of it and that of guest interaction. As it relates to Genie+ the message I've gotten is it's pretty important how DAS interacts with it.

I agree being yelled at is not kind and if it's not safety related could be handled differently.
100% - it's a fine line to walk, and I don't envy Disney these decisions - nor the CM's who are enforcing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter