• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RUMOR : WDW 5th Theme Park - "Disney's Night Kingdom"

Mind you, Disney's Night Kingdom will have no traditional theme park rides per se. But you'll still be able to get your fill of excitement & adventure as you strap on a pair of night vision goggles and then wander out into a pitch-black African savanna. Where you'll then be able to observe up-close lions & hyenas as they go through their nocturnal hunting routines.

You'll also be able to try your hand at spelunking as you explore a cave full of bats. Or -- if you're not a big fan of bats -- how about rock climbing? Does that sound too much like work? Then why don't you head on over to that Southern American-themed enclosure where you can frolic with some penguins?

I just don't see this as a "theme park". Maybe a diversion placed at Animal Kingdom.

Exactly. Wouldn't it be more cost effective for them to do some add ons to the already existing Animal Kingdom. And just offer these extra services up after park hours? Makes no sense to me.

Exactly. Wouldn't it be more cost effective for them to do some add ons to the already existing Animal Kingdom. And just offer these extra services up after park hours? Makes no sense to me.

That's still possible, what I've heard is that this will either be next to AK or a new section of it, or using existing sections in a different way....anyway, all just speculation right now but I haven't heard any insiders saying this project isn't happening.

A few thoughts:
Global-mouse, I loved your "Trip Report." :thumbsup2 :lmao:

Who knows what will really become of all these ideas? :confused3 Maybe this is the next Western River Ex. Will we be talking about Night Kingdom in 20 or 30 years? What attractions will actually come out this exercise? :yay:

I agree that if Disney does try something like this, it will all be about the execution. Disney should not open a half finished adventure. I'd hate to see another slow start like California adventure. :sad2:

I didn't "get" Discovery Cove until I did it. :love:

I wonder if we'd all be happier if it wasn't reported on by JH. :laughing:

I figure the bussier the imagineers are, the better. :idea: Sooner or later the pixie dust will fall on us guests. :worship:

The Disney Institute sounds to me like a good idea that was badly implemented and marketed...I lived in Orlando at the time and still never really knew what it was about.

I think that's the point of this discussion.

Disney Institute had a huge amount of national network promotion.
I live in the Kansas City area, and I knew exactly what it was.

But it "cost extra" was just not something guests wanted to do on a WDW vacation.

If (if) they do this "Night Kingdom" it will be a CM-assisted classroom/field-trip/workshop kind of situation, and, again, it will "cost extra" and IS this the kind of thing guests want to do on a WDW vacation?

Could be.
But, they were "cool" to the idea before, when it was called "Disney Institute."

I certainly had no interest in Disney Institute when I was sitting just 10 minutes away from 4 of the greatest theme parks on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Magic

Light Magic

Show facts

Grand opening: May 23, 1997
Annual Passholder Premiere: May 13, 1997
Closing date: September 8, 1997
Show length: 20:00
Cost: Approximately $20,000,000

I was an AP holder at Disneyland for this one and let me tell you .. WHEW.. it was TERRIBLE.

I saw it a total of 8 or 9 times that summer.. which included a couple of changes or attempted 'fixes'..

But there was no saving this one.. It was AWWW-FULL!!

Knox

I was an AP holder at Disneyland for this one and let me tell you .. WHEW.. it was TERRIBLE.

I saw it a total of 8 or 9 times that summer.. which included a couple of changes or attempted 'fixes'..

But there was no saving this one.. It was AWWW-FULL!!

Knox

ITA.

My family had APs that year too. We were taking bets on whether it would make it to Labor Day! :rotfl2:

They do bat pretty well, but not everything is a home run.

Disney institute (to which this "Night Park" idea is very similar.)
http://www.sallys-place.com/travel/n_america/eus_disney.htm
http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwguide/4_Accommodations/VDI.htm

Light Magic (Never heard of it? Not surprising. It just did not work-period.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Magic

You forgot one:

Disney's California Adventure
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dis...ng?name=DisneysCaliforniaAdventureLandingPage

Cost to build: Approximately $1 billion
Cost to clean up the mess: Approximately $1.1 billion

:rotfl:

Get your last licks in .. this one is just about played out it's life here and headed off to the Rumors Board very soon!..

:)

Knox

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter