• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor: Next Tuesday is the last day for the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich

I just sent a note to them as well. I am sure it will just go into a pile somewhere - but I have really been underwhelmed with their support for gf dining. I have spoken with Dining, Special Diets, reservations etc - all I get is the company line of "make a reservation wherever you want to go and then the chef will talk to you when you get there about what your options are". This is completely unacceptable to me.

My go-to failsafe for dining out since I have had to go gf is to research any place I dine beforehand. If they don't have an allergen menu available online, then I call ahead of time and ask what the options are. Depending on their response, I decide whether or not to dine there. If dining there is not in my control (ie work event, etc), at least I know to eat ahead of time. Not knowing what options are available, in what locations in the parks is a risk to me that makes me really want to bring my own food (which I have never had to do before being gf). Based on the research I have been able to do (mostly with boards like this one and a few blogs), I feel safe that I should be relatively OK, although I may have to hunt and peck a bit to find a decent and SAFE meal.

I don't do much table service dining in the parks and I'm not into reservations as I have no idea when I will be hungry and what part of the parks I will be in at that moment. I find that scheduling my vacations in this way is completely un-enjoyable as I spend my regular life running from place to place, appointment to appointment. My vacations are a break from that.

There are so many goodies that people chat about that I have to miss out on due to my medical restrictions (cupcakes, churros, funnel cake, Fried Green Tomato sandwiches - the list goes on and on). One of my vices happens to be baked potatoes, so to find that pretty much the only item on my "I can't wait to eat this at Disney" list (other than a Dole Whip) is gone - is disappointing to say the least.

Three days to go until we hit DL soil, and I am looking forward to this trip more than anything. To be sure, this won't ruin the trip or anything - but it does make me think that much like WDW, DL is starting to make some changes that over time could make me choose other vacation destinations.

There are so many goodies that people chat about that I have to miss out on due to my medical restrictions (cupcakes, churros, funnel cake, Fried Green Tomato sandwiches - the list goes on and on). One of my vices happens to be baked potatoes, so to find that pretty much the only item on my "I can't wait to eat this at Disney" list (other than a Dole Whip) is gone - is disappointing to say the least.

I don't understand why they'd remove the baked potatoes. It's not like potatoes are extremely expensive, so it shouldn't be a cost issue.

Still sad about the tomato sandwich. Maybe I'll have to email too. We don't eat meat at home, but we do eat some when dining out. However, it is always great to have options that aren't meat, and we won't eat burgers. This was a really good sandwich.

I just sent a note to them as well. I am sure it will just go into a pile somewhere - but I have really been underwhelmed with their support for gf dining. I have spoken with Dining, Special Diets, reservations etc - all I get is the company line of "make a reservation wherever you want to go and then the chef will talk to you when you get there about what your options are". This is completely unacceptable to me.

My go-to failsafe for dining out since I have had to go gf is to research any place I dine beforehand. If they don't have an allergen menu available online, then I call ahead of time and ask what the options are. Depending on their response, I decide whether or not to dine there. If dining there is not in my control (ie work event, etc), at least I know to eat ahead of time. Not knowing what options are available, in what locations in the parks is a risk to me that makes me really want to bring my own food (which I have never had to do before being gf). Based on the research I have been able to do (mostly with boards like this one and a few blogs), I feel safe that I should be relatively OK, although I may have to hunt and peck a bit to find a decent and SAFE meal.

I don't do much table service dining in the parks and I'm not into reservations as I have no idea when I will be hungry and what part of the parks I will be in at that moment. I find that scheduling my vacations in this way is completely un-enjoyable as I spend my regular life running from place to place, appointment to appointment. My vacations are a break from that.

Three days to go until we hit DL soil, and I am looking forward to this trip more than anything. To be sure, this won't ruin the trip or anything - but it does make me think that much like WDW, DL is starting to make some changes that over time could make me choose other vacation destinations.

I wouldn't stress! DLR really is easy for GF :). The lack of potatoes is only a big deal to me because the rest of my family likes the soup there :)

I strongly suggest checking out the GF super thread (sorry, on my phone at work so I can't link it). Loads of info to help you pre plan :). You can eat at pretty much all table service & most counter service, within reason. Obviously the corn dogs & chicken strips are out, but we really have an easy time feeding dd9.

Personally, dh & I prefer having the chef come talk to us rather than a gf menu; then we know the food is being done correctly. Plus, dd9 tends to get "extras" that way (like an entire tray of sliced pickles at smoke jumpers to avoid cross contamination...I swear it was as much as would fit in a jar!)

When DLR stopped offering allergy lists they said because vendors and offerings can change and they can't guarantee they're accuracy. This change shows exactly how that's true. Other than the rumor appearing on reddit, what would have happened is that one day people would have shown up at the park and found the menus at these 2 locations changed without notice. All the planning in the world isn't going to help when Disney suddenly changes what they offer or what ingredients they use, which does happen. Just look at the corn dogs. They changed the dog inside without notice or announcing it. One day it was just different. It's not like you can see inside of a corn dog to judge that meat looks different. There was also a change where Carnation Cafe no longer has a dedicated fryer, so people who have had fries there before can't anymore. It wasn't announced, someone has to ask to find out that it had changed. For dietary issues and allergies you really do have to ask every single time you order something, even if you've had it before.

It is becoming just like the shopping. DL used to have shops that carried unique items and I loved shopping at all the different places. Now, most shops have all the same stuff with very little variation. Very sad!

Good grief! Just what is needed to make an expensive DLR day more unique, special and memorable...blah turkey and blah salad. I love fried green tomatoes and you can't get them many places in CA. Not every counter service meal should be "kid friendly." :-(

Regarding food changes, Tavern nachos are no longer available at Troubadour Tavern, but, for those of you wanting baked potatoes, they were replaced by the sour cream bacon potato and a broccoli cheddar one. I'm happy to see the potatoes have just be relocated but not at the price of the tavern nachos....I just got them on Sunday! Such a nice snack while watching the show...

It is becoming just like the shopping. DL used to have shops that carried unique items and I loved shopping at all the different places. Now, most shops have all the same stuff with very little variation. Very sad!

This is exactly what happened to WDW a few years ago and now the condition seems to be spreading West, sadly :(

Regarding food changes, Tavern nachos are no longer available at Troubadour Tavern, but, for those of you wanting baked potatoes, they were replaced by the sour cream bacon potato and a broccoli cheddar one. I'm happy to see the potatoes have just be relocated but not at the price of the tavern nachos....I just got them on Sunday! Such a nice snack while watching the show...
Where is the Troubedor Tavern?

It's the CS place up by Fantasyland Theatre. It's easy to miss if you're not heading into Mickey and the Musical Map.

Just on a side note -- unrelated - there are suddenly a lot of avatars that are not showing up. I can't see grnflash's or lorijohnhill's avatars at all. I don't know if you can see mine, but it switched -- on its own -- to the old avatar I had before we moved to the new platform this year. I didn't change it. It just switched. Apparently it has happened to other people too. So check your avatar to see if it has changed.

That is odd Sherry. Especially since I can see lorijohnhill's. I think I'll do a new one tomorrow and see if it shows up. Thanks for pointing this out.

That is odd Sherry. Especially since I can see lorijohnhill's. I think I'll do a new one tomorrow and see if it shows up. Thanks for pointing this out.

There is a thread in the Technical forum about it, and then apparently there was also a thread in the Community forum about it. So it seems, in a nuitshell, that some of us are able to see avatars and photos that others cannot see, and some of us are noticing that our avatars have changed to old ones, even if everyone else can see our new avatars!

For example, if you can see my purple avatar, you are seeing a newer one -- but I am seeing the one I was using last year! :badpc: Something is askew.

I agree. Remember that, at one point, there were not supposed to be characters in Halloween garb out in the daytime (outside of MHP) -- that was stated in both a press release and, I think, in one of the responses under a Parks Blog. People from the Superthread had already been writing in to Disney about the thin, pitiful Halloween Time offerings this year, and now the new rumor (not officially confirmed as of yet) is that there will be characters in Halloween garb out in Town Square! Also, the goats will have their Halloween scarves and the non-Carnival section of the Ranch is being decorated (which I don't think it was supposed to be). So I suspect that the early email backlash may have had an impact. A CM on Facebook even suggested that everyone write in to Disney about the silly decision to not bring back the pumpkin carvers this year, so I hope that a lot of people took her advice!

I was there this past weekend, and I can tell you for a fact that I saw Goofy out in his skeleton costume garb in Town Square on Friday morning....also, many of the villians were out an about during the day doing M & G, including Jafar, the Evil Queen, etc...

Funny. The Troubadour Tavern is where the baked potatoes were relocated from when they moved to Harbor Galley.

And now no more Aladdin after January 10, 2016. It is being kicked out by more Frozen. :sad: Aladdin was a great show.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/ (<<<<It's good that I am keeping the link to this page handy, as it appears I will be needing it for a few things!)

Disneyland Resort has gone mad!

UGH! I have a special birthday trip planned for hubby in December....I will have to be sure and see this one more time before it's gone.

I thought it was my imagination last time I was there. I was underwhelmed by the uniqueness of the items in the shops too, but I don't go often enough to know if it was just my memory playing tricks on me.

Makes it easier to save money on souvenirs at least...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter