• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor: MSEP closing?!

Although if it's been in the works it could be a short flip if the logistics and such are already worked out. Possible for an Oct. 01 start with MSEP being dark. It would make sense that they would shut PTN on the fifth, move it, and then send MSEP back via the same carrier on the 11th after its last run on the 10th.

That makes sense. But I still don't think they would get it delivered and in show shape in September. I still think 10/1 is a real stretch but might be what they're going to do anyway.

Oh no doubt. No one needs a dining package to see MSEP. Especially if you're eating the slop Tony's calls Italian food. But people are going to line up to buy this package if this all comes to pass.

This will also be a way to drum up business at Skipper's Canteen. How much you wanna bet they offer a "premium parade viewing spot" dining package at Skipper's and then a "second best" viewing spot at Tony's.

You'd still need to cast and train performers - which requires overtime rehearsals for entertainment performers who are already stretched thin with party shifts (also, that includes overnights - probably two-weeks worth - which will be hard to do with MNSSHP running during the timeframe). I would imagine the earliest you'll see PTN on the East Coast, if this is true, will be after the holidays.

I think your timeline is probably right, I was just saying if Disney really wants to they can make it happen.

What I meant was that its not Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Star Wars, Muppets, Avatar, Indiana Jones, et al, IP that Disney has been going toward.....

I just like the things that are uniquely Disney and were around before the movies or TV shows - MSEP, Pirates of the Carribean, Haunted Mansion, People Mover, CoP, and many others.

Ah, "original" Disney IP. Ok, gotcha, that makes sense now. Thanks!

It's sad. MSEP is one of those unique non-IP Disney things that make a vacation.
I've said many times on these boards that Disney seems to have lost its way and its vision. Unfortunately, I don't see them doing anything until attendance and $$ at the parks take a severe nose dive.

There will be a point where they cannot squeeze enough revenue from special events and experiences paid for by hardcore fans to overcome the loss in attendance. I am guessing that WDW operations is betting that point is around the 50th when StarWars/ToyStoryLand/Pandora will be open. But until then we will see a loss of meaningful park experiences and an increase in paying for apps/drinks/characters/fireworks-and-parade-viewing. Things all day guests used to experience in some fashion for a lower price point.

I was thinking about this, but I wonder if PTN going to WDW is coming about because DL wanted it to go seasonal. Is it possible that Burbank said "well, if you want a seasonal parade, you can fix up MSEP but we aren't letting you keep our shiny new investment in the storage shed for half the year."

Do we know that the performers aren't already preparing for this? Maybe, the performers from DL were given the option to move to Florida with the show and then they are back filling the show with performers from Florida.

Maybe the drivers are coming with the floats to show the new drivers how to operate them... Maybe it is a whole new parade (haha... not a chance)... I assume if the performers knew about this it would already be out... I just don't want to give up hope that there will be a parade for us to watch when we go for our Disneymoon in late Sept.

I was thinking about this, but I wonder if PTN going to WDW is coming about because DL wanted it to go seasonal. Is it possible that Burbank said "well, if you want a seasonal parade, you can fix up MSEP but we aren't letting you keep our shiny new investment in the storage shed for half the year."
No I don't think Burbank would step in on something Disneyland was doing to cut costs. They would encourage the cost cutting.

This is from really early on in the thread, but it really struck a note with me:

I'm also getting irritated by them deciding things so last minute. They make us plan out everything 60+ days ahead and then throw out huge bombs like this at people with less than 50 days.

I KNOW, RIGHT?!

I feel for you. I am an annual passholder, so I don't really care, but I am completely empathetic to the people who are not and do care. Disney basically forces you to plan every minute of your trip and then when you have your plans all settled *BAM!* I'm sure in the grand scheme of things this tiny aspect of a much larger picture won't matter once you're there anyway.

This is from really early on in the thread, but it really struck a note with me:

I KNOW, RIGHT?!

I feel for you. I am an annual passholder, so I don't really care, but I am completely empathetic to the people who are not and do care. Disney basically forces you to plan every minute of your trip and then when you have your plans all settled *BAM!* I'm sure in the grand scheme of things this tiny aspect of a much larger picture won't matter once you're there anyway.

I'm in the same boat, we are going last week of Sept. I picked up a Tony's parade viewing spot lunch rez just in case now. But there was only one time and it is during our 7DMT fp, which I cannot replace. I'm trying to just relax and see what happens but I am one of those people who likes to have a good plan ready and these possible changes are ticking me off.

Also with my husband's favorite ride down (Thunder mountain) and dinosaur being extended to be down and now possible no MSEP (another favorite of his), my hubby is grumpy.

I think it will be nice to have something new; I remember watching MSEP everytime we went to DL when I was a kid. It was nostalgic to see it again here, but I must admit the music is definitely not my favorite parade music, and I'm kinda tired of it; we much preferred Spectromagic, and wish they would bring it back again, but alas we hard it was dismantled. : (

Also with my husband's favorite ride down (Thunder mountain) and dinosaur being extended to be down and now possible no MSEP (another favorite of his), my hubby is grumpy.
I would be too. I remember in 1996 I was in MK with my marching band. My parents had bought me the Birnbaum's book and in the book I really wanted to see the Kitchen Kabaret. I spent my entire day in Epcot trying to find it only to learn it closed down a few months before. I was really upset.

I finally got to see it on you tube a few years ago and I can see why they closed it :o

However, I don't know if it's reasonable to know if Disney can put out a "yearly" refurbishment schedule and not have to make adjustments or changes that seem last minute to us. Sorry about the refurbs on your trip.

Back on topic, I was sad that Spectromagic was replaced by MSEP. I have no idea why they felt the need to bring back MSEP and give Spectro the boot. I'm sure there was some reason like cost or maintenance or whatever, but Spectro was my fave. I believe it is time for MSEP to retire. This is also coming from the perspective of an AP holder who has seen MSEP more than I can count. I'm all for out with the old and in with the new for Disney right now. It's time.

Maybe that is why they make last minute changes... In my case, we have planned too much... At this point, we wouldn't cancel to be honest... You spend so much time getting invested in the trip, when Disney make last minute announcements you suck it up (for the most part). I think they should try to make major changes known 6 months in advance... but, at the same time... things get delayed, cancelled, re-designed and then that upsets people who booked in anticipation of something specific (something I have learned never to do with Disney).

I hope we have a parade... If not, then we will make the best of it... enjoy our time there... and have one less thing that we have to make sure we have time for.... 

It's not the matter of having the parade or not having a parade, it's not having solid information to plan on. It seems the closer we get to our departure date the more unknowns keep popping up. It should really be the other way around - the closer you get to your travel dates the more finalized your plans should become.

Maybe that is why they make last minute changes... In my case, we have planned too much... At this point, we wouldn't cancel to be honest... You spend so much time getting invested in the trip, when Disney make last minute announcements you suck it up (for the most part). I think they should try to make major changes known 6 months in advance... but, at the same time... things get delayed, cancelled, re-designed and then that upsets people who booked in anticipation of something specific (something I have learned never to do with Disney).

I hope we have a parade... If not, then we will make the best of it... enjoy our time there... and have one less thing that we have to make sure we have time for.... 

If Disney is getting people to visit by waiting until the last minute to spring unwanted changes, then there's something wrong with their business model.

How about putting something out there people will be so excited about they happily plan months ahead and can't wait to get there!

I understand that some last minute things can't be helped. But it feels very much lately like they're purposely keeping stuff under wraps so people no longer have an out.

It's not the matter of having the parade or not having a parade, it's not having solid information to plan on. It seems the closer we get to our departure date the more unknowns keep popping up. It should really be the other way around - the closer you get to your travel dates the more finalized your plans should become.

I get what you're saying, but if it's not a matter of having the parade or not having the parade then why does it matter? I mean, you can pretty much come up with the possibilities and plan accordingly. Plans A-.....

Plan A - There is a parade we want to see, we watch the parade.

Plan B - There is a parade we do not want to, we do not watch the parade.

Plan C - There is no parade offered, we can't watch a parade.

Plan D - They have both MSEP and PTN...say what, awesome sauce!!!!1!1!!1!!

I am an obsessive planner, but with planning comes variability. You have to plan for the unexpected. Adapt and overcome.

I get being bummed about a ride being down for a refurb during a vacation, but is that really so much worse than a ride being down unexpectedly? Or a ride that you would really like to go on, but you don't want to waste a fastpass on, having an abnormally long wait time for the duration of your vacation? Talking specifically about Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Dinosaur, at least you know they are going to be down for your vacation so you can plan accordingly.

Everyone's situation is different. Some people go once in their lives. It sucks for them the most. Some people go once every so many years. It sucks for them a lot. Some people go once a year. It kind of sucks for them. Some people go multiple times a year. It doesn't suck as much for them. The suckiness just depends on where you fall. At least in my opinion.

Do we know that the performers aren't already preparing for this? Maybe, the performers from DL were given the option to move to Florida with the show and then they are back filling the show with performers from Florida.

Performers are contract actors, contract ends when the show does. If the parade goes dark, they are laid off. They are handled different from most cast members because of Disney's agree with Actor's Equity, which dictates different pay scales, rules, etc. Living contract to contract is par for the course of many creative jobs (trust me...I know), you plan for the lean months.

I also can't see an actor leaving L.A. for Orlando, where work opportunities are far more limited.

Last edited:
If Disney is getting people to visit by waiting until the last minute to spring unwanted changes, then there's something wrong with their business model.

How about putting something out there people will be so excited about they happily plan months ahead and can't wait to get there!

I understand that some last minute things can't be helped. But it feels very much lately like they're purposely keeping stuff under wraps so people no longer have an out.
I totally agree....and it obliterates my trust in the Disney company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter