Rumor Mill.... DVC @ the Grand Floridian??

Regardless of what long-term scenarios have been created, I think it will be quite some time before we see more WDW DVC expansion. I am quite sure plans exist for adding DVC to both the GF and Polynesian sites. The existence of these plans doesn't mean DVD will act on them, though. I mean, plans were in place for Eagle Pines, for Newport...

And for every CM who passed on a rumor they'd heard about any expansion, new ride, etc that turned out to be accurate, how many inaccuracies have been passed on? (You know what they say - those talking don't know and those who know and those who know don't talk.)

The expansion that has happened this year has been unprecedented: THV, BLT, Kidani, and soon, The Grand Californian. With Hawaii still supposed to happen (so far, anyway), I can't imagine Disney would sink more into high-end timeshare vacation home construction in this economy.

But if we want to entertain this idea...:rolleyes:

One notion that has gone unmentioned is expanding the VWL. It's among the smallest -- THE smallest? -- of the DVC properties. It has plenty of room to grow, doesn't it? It would probably be relatively simple and cost-effective, too.

Back to the monrail resorts: of all the possibilities, imho, the Poly seems the most likely -- probably by converting or rebuilding some already-existing longhouses. They might even build UP -- making some of the buildings five or six stories, while still maintaining the horizontal profile of the resort.

I'd imagine a VWL expansion would first requre a committment from WL to extend DVC's current lease to, at least, 2059

DVC is selling a lot right now, but how much of the current offerings were planned to be "currently selling" 2 years from now? Or think 2-3 years ago. What did DVC think would still be available at the end of 2010? It's not too far fetched to think DVC planned on selling out BLT and VGC in 2010. Is it possible that they wanted THV much earlier, but only got the environmental approval last year? Did they think they would still be selling Kidani into 2011? Obviously, they'd plan to sell Hawaii, but I'm sure they had to be thinking of more...

We will be in the market for additional points in about 4 years (went from being DINKS needing a studio to a family of four!) and I hope that GF or Poly DVC is available. I think those are the only locations that would steer us away from buying a resale at VWL!

...from a practical perspective, is too many people!! :eek:

I remember the golden days of the mid-1990s, when going to an early morning meant -- almost literally -- having the parks to yourself.

That was BEFORE ... the BW, BWV, CS, VWL, AKL, AS, PC, BCV, SSR, BLT & THV.

Coming soon: The Four Seasons (presumably, they'll also get park perks).

And don't get me started on transportation issues -- including more cars on the roads.

Sigh. We need a fifth park to absorb all these people. :woohoo:

...from a practical perspective, is too many people!! :eek:

I remember the golden days of the mid-1990s, when going to an early morning meant -- almost literally -- having the parks to yourself.

Sigh. We need a fifth park to absorb all these people. :woohoo:

I totally agree with you. We're just back from a great trip but I also think we need another park to absorb the crowds. Disney has the land.

Also would be up for points at the DVC GF!

There is some refurbishment work going on at the Grand Floridian but nothing I would call "construction."

The new Four Seasons hotel site is a couple miles away on Bay Lake. (GF is on the Seven Seas Lagoon.) Four Seasons is up Bonnet Creek Parkway headed away from OKW, POFQ and POR.

I'm sure DVC has investigated the possibility of putting units at both the GF and the Poly. But with four separate sites currently for sale, Hawaii under construction and a new land purchase outside of Washington DC, I don't think we'll see any further development at WDW in the immediate future.

Next door to the camp ground but not on top of.

I am betting on the fact that the next DVC resort will be off property. I get the feeling they are looking to expand the overall footprint of the DVC offerings. Don't get me wrong, they will be expanding the footprint at the same time they keep an active eye on capacity at the beloved WDW.

I would love a DVC GF or a DVC Poly but not holding my breath or saving my money for it. In the meantime I will keep adding on points whenever my addonitis gets too hard to tame!

I was just looking at it in Google Earth, and I see plenty of room at both the GF and the Poly to put a DVC resort in.

The GF could easily add on to the southern end of the resort, where the pool is now. It's simple enough to move a pool. Or they could convert rooms, but I have no idea how well they're booked.

I don't see them converting rooms at the Poly. However, I do see a few options for expansion:
1. Build onto the point.
2. Build between the hotel and the luau.
3. Build a new luau on the point (or elsewhere, but that's most obvious) and put the DVC property where the luau is. This would give possibly the most space.

I see either one of the first two being the most practical. If they wanted to expand the luau, and possibly promote it more, they could move it to the point. That would be a great location for it but it could interrupt the view from the current hotel (if done right I could see it being a good selling point - people in the hotel could see fire dancers on the beach at night).

Personally I'd hope for that last option. It would give a good size DVC property that would be pretty close to everything, and HIGHLY in demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter