• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RUMOR: Disney and WB to Bring Lord of the Rings to Parks?

~Fabulous comment! You've really touched on a deeper philosophy here. Disney's let just buy it all, so not only do we *not* have to build it -- no one else can build it either!

~Frankly, I have never been able to picture how Lord of the Rings could translate into an amazing theme park experience that can brandish wide appeal. Maybe my perception is somewhat jaded by how Disney treated The Chronicles of Narnia IP. I just don't know, maybe a hobbit village, drawbridge, sword fight re-enactment, dining and a few rides it could probably work somewhere. I still would prefer Star Wars light years over this. The whole castle and dragon thing has been dominated and done so well by Universal -- I don't see Disney wanting to compete with that so stick with the super hero and space stuff for now.
:lmao:

I think the problem with Narnia is that Disney didn't really own it. I'm not sure they had much in the way of rights within the theme park beyond basically what you saw - a really big advertisement for the movies. The fact that they even had something in the park relevant to when the movies came out was a surprise, as they tend not to try and capitalize on such things when they are hot.

Anyways, the bet against something bigger paid off for Disney...interest waned and they elected not to produce a third movie.

Whether this LOTR rumor has any truth to it or not...one thing is certain. In all of the 48 square miles of WDW property there is exactly ONE park(MK) that is a smash hit.

There are three other parks that are struggling(been to Epcot this year?) and if Disney doesn't do something dramatic to those three parks they(Epcot, AK, DHS) are definitely in danger of being surpassed in attendance by IOA.

Mark my words! I've been saying it all along! DC Comics is next! Everyone is sidetracked watching the Marvel deal, and worrying about Marvel rides and use in the theme parks. Look Disney to swoop in and make a deal for Batman! It's coming!

I have a feeling a merger between Time Warner and Disney may happen in the not so distant future.

I just read this to my boyfriend, and he goes, "if that happens we're going back!" So at least I know i'll be going back!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1: I LOVEEEE Lord of the Rings :) I'm pumped.

This was discussed some time back and some people claimed that Tolkien's heirs want nothing to do with Disney. If that isn't true or they've changed their minds then that is nice but I would really want to see something more substantial than this to believe it.

Of course nothing is finalized until it's really finalized. JK Rowling was talking to Disney too and you can see what happened there.

I just want more Star Wars stuff!

I will move to the orlando area immediately if this gets officially announced. Im one of the biggest ME fans Evah!!

I think the problem with Narnia is that Disney didn't really own it. I'm not sure they had much in the way of rights within the theme park beyond basically what you saw - a really big advertisement for the movies. The fact that they even had something in the park relevant to when the movies came out was a surprise, as they tend not to try and capitalize on such things when they are hot.

Anyways, the bet against something bigger paid off for Disney...interest waned and they elected not to produce a third movie.
~doc, you are one of the most intelligent poster's here, so you know I always value and respect your opinion. But, there is so much Disney could have done with Narnia -- the lion, the witch, the polar bears, lol. Theme parks attractions live on in spite of waning interests. With that said, I can't dispute what you've written, so I will reluctantly agree. :( And, thanks for the insight. :goodvibes

I Hope it is Not True about Disney and The Lord of the Rings.. I love to see Avatar for Disney, but I also want to see The Smurfs for Disney, 2 characters are blue (My Favorite Color).

I mean, Universal is rumor to have a Smurfs ride, why not let Disney to build a Smurfs ride.

If you say Sony's Smurfs movies are Horrible, I hope Disney and Pixar make an All-CGI Smurfs reboot, It will be an Epic Adventure a la The Adventures of TinTin.

Another reason is Disney and Warner Bros. are Rivals, and Warner Bros. would belong to Universal.

This was discussed some time back and some people claimed that Tolkien's heirs want nothing to do with Disney. If that isn't true or they've changed their minds then that is nice but I would really want to see something more substantial than this to believe it.

I haven't heard of reluctance to talk to Disney, but they ARE protective of it. They did have a dispute with Warner Bros. over certain rights (mostly surrounding a LOTR-themed gambling system), which WB so far as been prevailing on, so I think it unlikely you'll see anything via the WB/Six Flags partnership...

~doc, you are one of the most intelligent poster's here, so you know I always value and respect your opinion. But, there is so much Disney could have done with Narnia -- the lion, the witch, the polar bears, lol. Theme parks attractions live on in spite of waning interests. With that said, I can't dispute what you've written, so I will reluctantly agree. :( And, thanks for the insight. :goodvibes

It isn't necessarily what they could have done, but what they were allowed to do. Gresham and the rest of the Lewis estate are similarly very protective of the rights.

By the way, The Silver Chair may be made - but not by Disney OR Fox this time, and apparently not even Walden Media:

Fourth Narnia movie, The Silver Chair, in development

Now, it's only in development, so temper expectations...

Squee!

Wow, that was weird. I've never squeed before.

I only have two questions / comments:

1) Many people on the boards, myself included, have complained for years that Disney doesn't spend much money in the parks. That may be because Disney hasn't NEEDED to. People came every year anyway. If IoA is really poised to take over one of the top spots, Disney could start to look really bad.

The theme parks are really important to Disney. About 30% of Disney's revenue comes from theme parks, and this year (thanks to the flops like The Lone Ranger) they're Disney's most profitable division. They can't afford to let Universal get traction over them. I think the competition from Universal is forcing them into a spending war.

2) AK is getting Avatar, it sounds like LoTR and Star Wars are going to DHS. What's up with Epcot? Doesn't Epcot need something too?

The whole Epcot / Crescent Lake / DHS area is a tremendous theme park layout. Very walkable, easy boat transportation, plenty of resorts and room for more. I hope they don't put all the new stuff at DHS "end" and ignore Epcot.

I would be happy with just ONE more country in Epcot (with good food), although I'd like to see a rejuvenated WoL in Futureworld as well.

Hmm,

First, Warner Brothers doesn't have the rights to LOTR theme parks. The Tolkien estate still has those rights. So the first part of the rumor are wrong. Tolkien deeply disliked Disney's adaptations of fairy tales and so the odds of this happening are pretty slim. The only reason the films got made is because the rights to films were sold off at Tolkiens death to pay for the estate taxes.

However, the Hobbit book does enter public domain in 2032, so there ya go!

I would be happy with just ONE more country in Epcot (with good food), although I'd like to see a rejuvenated WoL in Futureworld as well.

In Epcot, it's Future World that is in DIRE need of attention.

If Future World is thriving...it will run off into the World Showcase.

It needs to happen...Epcot is the WDW park that is collapsing in attendance the most.

Squee!

Wow, that was weird. I've never squeed before.

I only have two questions / comments:

1) Many people on the boards, myself included, have complained for years that Disney doesn't spend much money in the parks. That may be because Disney hasn't NEEDED to. People came every year anyway. If IoA is really poised to take over one of the top spots, Disney could start to look really bad.

The theme parks are really important to Disney. About 30% of Disney's revenue comes from theme parks, and this year (thanks to the flops like The Lone Ranger) they're Disney's most profitable division. They can't afford to let Universal get traction over them. I think the competition from Universal is forcing them into a spending war.

2) AK is getting Avatar, it sounds like LoTR and Star Wars are going to DHS. What's up with Epcot? Doesn't Epcot need something too?

The whole Epcot / Crescent Lake / DHS area is a tremendous theme park layout. Very walkable, easy boat transportation, plenty of resorts and room for more. I hope they don't put all the new stuff at DHS "end" and ignore Epcot.

Uhhh...YEAH...have you been to Epcot this past year?

You could shoot a cannon through the park and not hit anyone.

Hmm,

First, Warner Brothers doesn't have the rights to LOTR theme parks. The Tolkien estate still has those rights. So the first part of the rumor are wrong. Tolkien deeply disliked Disney's adaptations of fairy tales and so the odds of this happening are pretty slim. The only reason the films got made is because the rights to films were sold off at Tolkiens death to pay for the estate taxes.

Actually, I think the only reason they got made was because the rights that Saul Zentz purchased would have expired if they didn't get them made before a certain date...Zentz owned the rights since around '76. He also has a lot of the other rights as well, such as merchandise.

But if Disney wanted to make theme park attractions based on the movie representations, WB would certainly be involved as well as the estate and/or Zentz. Likely it is similar to the Oz books vs. movies. No one can use ruby slippers without the studio's approval, for instance, since they were created specifically for the movie, even though the story itself is in the public domain.

Oh how I hope this rumor is true! This would save me a trip to New Zealand to do the Hobbit tour that my son wants to do. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

This would be nothing short of a miracle as far as I'm concerned! pixiedust:

Uhhh...YEAH...have you been to Epcot this past year?

You could shoot a cannon through the park and not hit anyone.

Assuming that they're going to do something "MAJOR" with both franchises (if this one really happens, I'll believe it when I actually see it), it doesn't entirely make sense to do both Star Wars and LoTR at DHS. Building one new "land" using either of these would be enough to drive attendance through the roof.

So, put one at Epcot, and one at DHS, Avatar at AK. Turn all of Future World into Star Wars world. Sure, technically Star Wars was "long, long ago", but it's still outer spacey. Mission Space is there.

I'm not sure the whole "Turtle Talk with Crush" at The Living Seas really works with the theme. "Cowabunga, my young jedis! Try, not. Do, or do not, little dudes! May the Force be Totally Awesome!"

Disney can buy all the franchises in the world but since Mickey has short arms and long pockets it's merely diluting the limited funds they have to spend.

Look at Tangled. Absolutely wonderful movie that did great box office and perfect for New Fantasyland. Disney builds themed restrooms and a phone charging station :lmao:

Disney can buy all the franchises in the world but since Mickey has short arms and long pockets it's merely diluting the limited funds they have to spend.

Look at Tangled. Absolutely wonderful movie that did great box office and perfect for New Fantasyland. Disney builds themed restrooms and a phone charging station :lmao:

to be fair though, they are SUPER nice restrooms... :thumbsup2;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter