Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Type A personality side of me likes some of the organization of this, but again, people in America generally don't do well with being told what to do. I don't like when people touch me in a queue (including my children, lol.) At least Disney is trying to make it work??? Maybe it's enough "theatre" to make the lawyers feel safe enough to open?

I agree. I love the idea of not having other adults touching me/literally breathing down my neck in lines and when waiting for events. Unfortunately, I feel that the actual compliance with guidelines like the standing lines and boxes in the US will lack.

After reading the first post, just messaging in case Moderator wants to update it...
I have a resort reservation for November 2020 and I also received a survey from WDW related to restrictions and and my upcoming stay. The first post states that guests with reservations through September received surveys. I can vouch, having received one, that surveys were sent for stays beyond September (in my case November).
Thank you, I’ll update it!

For which restaurant?
I see now that it was disney springs. I hadn’t seen that memo until after I posted. But, maybe it means they are trying to implement social distancing in restaurants & need to stop taking reservations for now? Did they do this with May ADRs too when they had started taking June & beyond vacation bookings.

I see now that it was disney springs. I hadn’t seen that memo until after I posted. But, maybe it means they are trying to implement social distancing in restaurants & need to stop taking reservations for now? Did they do this with May ADRs too when they had started taking June & beyond vacation bookings.
This made me revisit my June dinner resy lineup for our trip made at the 180 day mark:
6/25 Boma
6/26 Sana’a
6/27 Tiffins
6/28 Ohana
6/29 Cali Grille
6/30 Monsieur Paul
I’m starting to feel its not going happen! 😔

They cancelled all direct flights from LAX until 7/7 last week, so I am thinking they know something (totally speculation, but I think WDW might open after 7/4 weekend).
Nah. Are you talking LAX-MCO direct? They’ve cut that one on me in the past. I’m not surprised it’s gone with airlines cutting like 90% of normal flying capacity. Long haul flights of fairly empty planes get expensive fast 😔

I was holding out hope for our July 1st arrival, but Delta just added a couple of nails to that coffin for me this morning.
Oh dear :( , I do keep watching for one of those dreaded "there have been some changes to your upcoming trip" emails. I'm lucky that if Delta cancels our flight we can just drive, it's just shy of 8 hours but we can still do it (and we won't have the kids with us so it'll be even faster without the 5 million rest stops).

CM Survey
Disney also sent a survey to its CMs asking if they would be willing to work in a different location. This suggests they are gathering data to move CMs, potentially if certain areas are closed due to the phased opening, to new areas.
Thanks to @yulilin3 for the info posted in this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/rumor-about-“modified-experiences”-when-disney-reopens-read-1st-post-for-potential-modifications-being-considered.3797114/post-61865750
My friend who received the CM survery (and no, doesn't have any more information than I do at this point) said she thinks that question is in regards to Disney trying to fill areas that normally have high volumes of CPs filling roles. She said "I don't know if that's it though, but I know there are some holes in staffing at some of the parks that will need filling, and the only way to do it with full/part/and seasonal employees is to move them around" so who knows, they could have any number of reasons to ask that question.

Nah. Are you talking LAX-MCO direct? They’ve cut that one on me in the past. I’m not surprised it’s gone with airlines cutting like 90% of normal flying capacity. Long haul flights of fairly empty planes get expensive fast 😔
I have a friend who was supposed to fly down from PA for an end of June-early July trip, leaving on July 3, and their flight was cancelled this past week so they were forced to cancel their trip. This was even before Disney closed down new resort reservations for June, but she said she might have cancelled anyway. Our trip starts July 8, and a July 7 opening is a little too close for comfort if that is indeed what they're doing. I'm thankful we can drive if Delta messes with our flights, but man this is getting too stressful for me.

Oh dear :( , I do keep watching for one of those dreaded "there have been some changes to your upcoming trip" emails. I'm lucky that if Delta cancels our flight we can just drive, it's just shy of 8 hours but we can still do it (and we won't have the kids with us so it'll be even faster without the 5 million rest stops).

My friend who received the CM survery (and no, doesn't have any more information than I do at this point) said she thinks that question is in regards to Disney trying to fill areas that normally have high volumes of CPs filling roles. She said "I don't know if that's it though, but I know there are some holes in staffing at some of the parks that will need filling, and the only way to do it with full/part/and seasonal employees is to move them around" so who knows, they could have any number of reasons to ask that question.

Also remember that they are likely going to have new jobs to fill and/or more people in existing jobs. Like if you look at he shanghai video lots of people holding signs about social distancing, you'll need more CMs policing queues and getting people where they need to be, etc.

I watched the video from Shanghai and while the QR code won’t be a thing here (nor do I think they’re going to do temp checks for guests), I liked the plan in place for social distancing while in queue for an attraction and that he felt reasonably confident that the limited capacity will help with that, as well. At least for me, it made me feel like there could be modified shows and parades while allowing attractions to remain open (I don’t recall any mention of closed attractions there). We’ve been to WDW enough times that meet and greets aren’t necessary for us anymore and we usually watch HEA, for example, from the Poly versus staying in MK with thousands of guests.
We’re thinking this summer might now work because my dh wants to see how everything pans out for a month or more before we attempt again but I’m itching to get back. Maybe I’ll check out Thanksgiving rates. Otherwise, we might go in January again (which was great for cool weather but not so awesome for closed attractions due to maintenance and swimming).

Also remember that they are likely going to have new jobs to fill and/or more people in existing jobs. Like if you look at he shanghai video lots of people holding signs about social distancing, you'll need more CMs policing queues and getting people where they need to be, etc.
Yep, absolutely! I don't think she's seen the SDL video, I mentioned it and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about, but I'm sure they'll need to have a lot more help policing areas.

I watched the video from Shanghai and while the QR code won’t be a thing here (nor do I think they’re going to do temp checks for guests), I liked the plan in place for social distancing while in queue for an attraction and that he felt reasonably confident that the limited capacity will help with that, as well. At least for me, it made me feel like there could be modified shows and parades while allowing attractions to remain open (I don’t recall any mention of closed attractions there). We’ve been to WDW enough times that meet and greets aren’t necessary for us anymore and we usually watch HEA, for example, from the Poly versus staying in MK with thousands of guests.
We’re thinking this summer might now work because my dh wants to see how everything pans out for a month or more before we attempt again but I’m itching to get back. Maybe I’ll check out Thanksgiving rates. Otherwise, we might go in January again (which was great for cool weather but not so awesome for closed attractions due to maintenance and swimming).
I'm looking at Thanksgiving week too if by some chance they aren't open by July, or if they are and we have to modify our trip so much that it's just a shell of what we wanted (it's a big anniversary trip, so want it to be special). Can't get my husband 100% on board yet with his "they will be open! we're going!" but I'm thinking of booking a cheap room to hold a place until we know so we can book ADRs in a few weeks while we wait. If we get to go I'll cancel it all, but if we modify I'll just move our room to the resort we have booked now for July and we'll be set. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

I'm looking at Thanksgiving week too if by some chance they aren't open by July, or if they are and we have to modify our trip so much that it's just a shell of what we wanted (it's a big anniversary trip, so want it to be special). Can't get my husband 100% on board yet with his "they will be open! we're going!" but I'm thinking of booking a cheap room to hold a place until we know so we can book ADRs in a few weeks while we wait. If we get to go I'll cancel it all, but if we modify I'll just move our room to the resort we have booked now for July and we'll be set. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.
At this point, rates for Thanksgiving aren’t low IMHO. I have two reservations right now for a party of 3 adults and 2 teens. A room at the Dolphin that sleeps five and 2 rooms at ASMO. Both reservations are about $350 per night when you factor in fees, etc. So many possibilities of changes has me holding onto both reservations until I know more. The rates are what I would expect for Thanksgiving, but only time will tell whether the available amenities and park experiences justify the normal Thanksgiving rates.

All of that seems very plausible (without knowing exactly the questions in the survey). If they are reducing capacity, they may need fewer CMs in dining and retail and more sanitizing and reminding guests of the social distancing guidelines.

Two things about the Shanghai video really surprised me. 1) the lack of plexiglass in front of the cashier at the restaurant and 2) the security still hand searching items, requiring the security CM to stand for a prolonged period of time to stand face to face up close with all the guests. I have no idea why they wouldn't revert to Universal's system using x ray scanners which are faster and allow for significantly less interaction.
These are two examples of CMs repeatedly exposed to close contact with potential positive cases at higher risk than necessary. I would hope WDW and DL are thinking about employee safety more.

All of that seems very plausible (without knowing exactly the questions in the survey). If they are reducing capacity, they may need fewer CMs in dining and retail and more sanitizing and reminding guests of the social distancing guidelines.
Anyone know how long it took for March CM schedules to be posted?

Yes. I’ve never had that issue (always been sold out for me) and they still have 4 non stops on 7/7 (I can do first flight out on the 7th, but wouldn’t arrive to Pop until probably 7p). Jet Blue, United, and Delta still have non stops on 7/6. I get free baggage on AA, otherwise I would just fly on another airline. Getting more and more worried WDW won’t even be open, though.

At least for me, it made me feel like there could be modified shows and parades

I thought the same thing. Starting at about 4:45 of the SDL video, I can totally envision them having boxes like this in front of the castle. I also think you could easily socially distance at F! by spacing people out. Parades are a little iffy, but I don't see why nighttime shows couldn't happen.

2) the security still hand searching items, requiring the security CM to stand for a prolonged period of time to stand face to face up close with all the guests. I have no idea why they wouldn't revert to Universal's system using x ray scanners which are faster and allow for significantly less interaction.

I noticed this too. Just get the dang x-ray scanners like Universal, or at the very least, the CMs need to be spraying a hand sanitizer on their gloves between guests' bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter