• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rules People DON'T Follow

I haven't seen that much in terms of rule breaking, to be honest. The big one is kids in the adult areas, and on the cruises I've been on, that's mostly been of the "passing through the area" variety (although there was one that had parked a couple young kids there.) And at the buffets you occasionally run into people who don't get the concept of a "line." But I haven't run into much entitled behavior or otherwise really bad misbehavior.

My only "complaint" in rule breaking is something that might contaminate food or drink areas & get people sick: kids taking food with fingers, filling up personal mugs with soda, etc... :crazy2: I would not hesitate to tell a CM about it for my sake & everyone's sake. If no one was around, then I would politely say something myself to them. Happy cruising!

P.S. Love the comment jdb in AZ about the dog holding the keys!!! :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

I have no intention of letting someone ruin my vacation while I stand by and let someone tell their kid they can pee in the pool! After they do that I know it needs to be drained, cleaned and refilled. If I can prevent losing out pool time by golly I will do it! As I confronted her I would probably yell out to the other parents to find a CM too.
They don't drain a pool because it's been peed in. If they you would never be able to swim because the pool would always be empty. As gross as it it, if you swim in a public pool then you are swimming in pee. (What was the name of that Olympic swimmer who said he was so used to peeing in the pool that he couldn't even pee on dry land any more?)

I'm laughing out loud at the image of the dog guarding the brig. :rotfl2:

Yes, they have a brig.

No, they won't throw you in the brig for saving seats or having a child in the Cove. I've heard of it being used only once regarding a passenger who had physically assaulted another passenger.

Sadly :worried: on our last Magic cruise our across the isle neighbors...The husband came "home" one late evening and started SCREAMING at his wife and kids and then became VERY abusive...My hubby and several men in other cabins came out and tried to calm him down...he just slammed the cabin door shut and continued hitting his wife..the kids were screaming/crying within 2 minutes officers, security, and some REALLY big guys were dragging him out of his cabin. We never saw him again for the entire trip...which still had 4 nights left. We asked our cabin steward if they made him get off the ship, he said no he is in a holding cell down below and will be handed over to the FL police when we get back to port. It was very very sad. :sad:

sftnslky said:
Sadly :worried: on our last Magic cruise our across the isle neighbors...The husband came "home" one late evening and started SCREAMING at his wife and kids and then became VERY abusive...My hubby and several men in other cabins came out and tried to calm him down...he just slammed the cabin door shut and continued hitting his wife..the kids were screaming/crying within 2 minutes officers, security, and some REALLY big guys were dragging him out of his cabin. We never saw him again for the entire trip...which still had 4 nights left. We asked our cabin steward if they made him get off the ship, he said no he is in a holding cell down below and will be handed over to the FL police when we get back to port. It was very very sad. :sad:

Wow I really feel sorry for the family. And I hate to think that that's how their vacation went. But thank you to your husband for trying to help. A lot of people would have just " looked the other way"

I also don't mind the kids coming into the adult are looking for their parents. As long as it's in and out I wouldn't even think of saying something to anyone.

I think the CM's do the best that they can. I feel that part of the problem is miscommunication. There are obvious rule breakers that are just inconsiderate and gross. Really there are some people who need to revisit kindergarten and learn respect. I felt like butting in the buffet line was rude but the CM's started to tell everyone they did not need to form a line that if you wanted something and no one was in front of it go ahead. That may have been because there were not tons of people. I like the idea that they are stationing CM's outside the adult only areas because the Dream is set up is such a way that to get to Cabana's if you are on level five the best access is through the adult only areas. I didn't realize it was a problem for kids to walk through. I knew they were not supposed to stop and stay awhile.

The kids in the adult areas on the Dream/Fantasy is as much the fault of the ship designers as anything, IMO.

Yes, it's up to the parents to enforce it (and seriously - why do some parents think vacation = vacation from parenting?? Ugh). I also believe many instances could have been avoided by not having elevators dump right into the middle of it. But, that's JMO.

I will say that when we were on the Fantasy last summer, I was the mom making the little ones (7 at the time) hold my hand and the 10 yo walk in front of me, quietly (but loud enough for someone to hear - yes, grumpy old man, I'm talking to YOU) "Quickly guys. Keep moving, this is for the grown ups". With forward rooms - we used the forward stairs - and we had to move through the area to get to them.

It seems that the "abuse", if you will, of the adult areas was more prevalent on the shorter 3-nt than it was on the 7-nt.

The kids in the adult areas on the Dream/Fantasy is as much the fault of the ship designers as anything, IMO.

Yes, it's up to the parents to enforce it (and seriously - why do some parents think vacation = vacation from parenting?? Ugh). I also believe many instances could have been avoided by not having elevators dump right into the middle of it. But, that's JMO.

I will say that when we were on the Fantasy last summer, I was the mom making the little ones (7 at the time) hold my hand and the 10 yo walk in front of me, quietly (but loud enough for someone to hear - yes, grumpy old man, I'm talking to YOU) "Quickly guys. Keep moving, this is for the grown ups". With forward rooms - we used the forward stairs - and we had to move through the area to get to them.

It seems that the "abuse", if you will, of the adult areas was more prevalent on the shorter 3-nt than it was on the 7-nt.

I've never sailed on the Dream, but I've read reports. Two major factors set the Fantasy apart from the Dream when it comes to adult areas. The first is that the Deck 11 adult area on the Fantasy is much more clearly labeled as an adult-only area, and seems much less like a continuation of the deck than is the case on the Dream. The second is that the adults-only area on Deck 13 on the Fantasy seemed to be respected as an adults-only area. I didn't see any kids up there. I don't think the Dream has a Deck 13 adults-only area.

We have had issues with the Cove adult-only section of the Dream having too many kids hanging out in it and have remarked upon it on comment cards.

Our last cruise, we noticed one of the clean-up crew, Angel, would survey the situation as he was doing his job and, if the kids didn't move along after an appropriate amount of time, he would have a friendly word or two with the parents (in Spanish and/or English) and the kids would suddenly leave -- but everyone still had a smile on their face.

We commended his diplomatic skill on our next comment card. And, privately, we called him Angel the Enforcer. :cool1:

Peeing in the pool, while gross to think about, is not what makes it require draining since normal healthy urine is sterile. However, kids who are told by their parents to just pee in the pool will likely do the other, which does require the sanitizing.

How do you know it is normal healthy urine though? :confused3

They don't drain a pool because it's been peed in. If they you would never be able to swim because the pool would always be empty. As gross as it it, if you swim in a public pool then you are swimming in pee. (What was the name of that Olympic swimmer who said he was so used to peeing in the pool that he couldn't even pee on dry land any more?)

I'm laughing out loud at the image of the dog guarding the brig. :rotfl2:

At least the swimmer didn't do what this Disney "hero" used to do:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/mar/25/arts.artsnews

I've never sailed on the Dream, but I've read reports. Two major factors set the Fantasy apart from the Dream when it comes to adult areas. The first is that the Deck 11 adult area on the Fantasy is much more clearly labeled as an adult-only area, and seems much less like a continuation of the deck than is the case on the Dream. The second is that the adults-only area on Deck 13 on the Fantasy seemed to be respected as an adults-only area. I didn't see any kids up there. I don't think the Dream has a Deck 13 adults-only area.

We were on both last summer - Dream in April, Fantasy in June - and honestly, the deck 11 areas were pretty much identical. We didn't notice any additional signage, and the breakwalls were the same.

Yes, Satellite Falls is exclusive to the Fantasy - though I will say I've seen kids there, too.

Yes, Satellite Falls is exclusive to the Fantasy - though I will say I've seen kids there, too.

Yes, there is NO reason to bring your child through Satellite Falls, it is not on the way to anywhere, but last week a man did.

The biggest issue I have with rules people DON'T follow are touching the food with your bare hands at the buffet. I typically do not eat at the buffet for this very reason.

Regarding the comments on jumping ahead in the buffet lines, my understanding is that on the Dream and Fantasy there if no line and you directly to the station.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Bonniec said:
Regarding the comments on jumping ahead in the buffet lines, my understanding is that on the Dream and Fantasy there if no line and you directly to the station.

Yes, this causes much confusion for those used to the buffet line on the Magic and Wonder. The original story about line-cutting in this thread was when the poster was on the Magic.

We were photo bombed with Donald by a couple of unsupervised children (I say unsupervised because parents were nearby but did not care.) The CMs were gracious enough to let us take a retake after the 2 boys lost interest in us. Needless to say we had a few more run ins with those 2 boys. They kept trying to kiss my 5 yo DD so I had to ask that they were watched closely when in the club with my daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter